• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AtomicPunk

Forsberg in HOF, Fedorov equal?

Rate this topic

I was watching the HOF induction ceremony last night and they were going over Forsberg's stats, and I figured Sergei's stats are pretty similar.

Stanley Cups, yep. Multiple. Hart Trophy, yep. Scoring title, yep. I don't know about his Olympic or international stats but could there be a case for Sergei getting in the HOF now that Forsberg is in?

I think it'd be a colossal shame if Federov wasn't a first ballot Hall of Famer. He might not have finished at the level he started, but he was one of the greats in his prime, maybe the best in the game for a time. He belongs in the Hall of Fame as soon as he's eligible.

Fedorov will get in, no question....I think next year is his first year of eligibility no?

The guy I'm wondering about is Lindros....the fact that he isn't in is pretty strange. The only thing Lindros doesn't have going for him is longevity, but there are several guys where that wasn't an issue.....most recent examples being Forsberg and Bure, but there are several others (Neely is another good example).

Now, I like to try not to argue why someone deserves to be in because look at so and so, if he's in, then this guy needs to be. I'm not using that argument for Lindros. I think he's a no brainer, deserves to be there. His career was short, but long enough to demonstrate that he is a hall of famer. He was absolutely dominant for more than just a brief stretch of time.

I was actually listening to a discussion on the radio the other day on him. They were throwing around the question about where they think he would have ended up if he stayed healthy. These were hockey guys, not just guys on the radio. Neil Smith was one of them and I think it was him who suggested there was Gretzky and Lemieux and then there would be Lindros. He didn't have the same skill level as those two, but his skill level was very, very high and he was a player that the league never really saw before. He was a monster out there that could go through guys with his size, but had so much skill at the same time. Those two things almost never come together. Lemieux had size as well, but obviously not the same type of size and certainly not used in the same way.

Fedorov will get in, no question....I think next year is his first year of eligibility no?

The guy I'm wondering about is Lindros....the fact that he isn't in is pretty strange. The only thing Lindros doesn't have going for him is longevity, but there are several guys where that wasn't an issue.....most recent examples being Forsberg and Bure, but there are several others (Neely is another good example).

Now, I like to try not to argue why someone deserves to be in because look at so and so, if he's in, then this guy needs to be. I'm not using that argument for Lindros. I think he's a no brainer, deserves to be there. His career was short, but long enough to demonstrate that he is a hall of famer. He was absolutely dominant for more than just a brief stretch of time.

I was actually listening to a discussion on the radio the other day on him. They were throwing around the question about where they think he would have ended up if he stayed healthy. These were hockey guys, not just guys on the radio. Neil Smith was one of them and I think it was him who suggested there was Gretzky and Lemieux and then there would be Lindros. He didn't have the same skill level as those two, but his skill level was very, very high and he was a player that the league never really saw before. He was a monster out there that could go through guys with his size, but had so much skill at the same time. Those two things almost never come together. Lemieux had size as well, but obviously not the same type of size and certainly not used in the same way.

Lindros is a fascinating guy in many ways. Tremendous player as you said, but some of his injury issues really go beyond the normal wear and tear and from his perspective at least bordered on negligence on the part of the trainers. Recall he had that real close call with the collapsed lung, and from what I recall, he had at least one if not more concussions that weren't diagnosed by trainers leading to more severe concussion issues down the line. I worry about the guy long term with as many concussions as he had. He's the kind of player that I really didn't like back when we had to play against him, but looking back on it all with some perspective, it's easier to be objective. I could understand an argument that kept him out of the Hall, but when you look at what he did relative to what he was up against and what he could have done had he been healthier, I think he really ought to get the nod at some point.

Interesting:

There are a total of 3 players in the history of the game that have won the Hart trophy and are not currently in the hall of fame (this excludes current players and players that are retired but not yet eligible):

1. Tommy Anderson (won it in 1942) - he only played 319 games and has 62 goals and 189pts

2. Al Rollins (won it in 1954) - goalie, has 158 career wins to go against 176 losses

3. Eric Lindros - one of the most dominant players in the game...when healthy

If Lindros doesn't make it next year and Fedorov doesn't either, that list will go to 4.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Osgood shouldn't get in, I'm just thinking about the fact that I never thought about him being amongst the best at any point during his career. Maybe I should have? Maybe it comes down to reflecting on his career after the fact and thinking about it. It is tough to argue with 400 wins, but Joseph has way more wins and isn't in yet either. I do recall, for at least a brief period of time, thinking that Joseph was on e of the best.

Boo Harold....just kidding.

Honestly though, maybe the original topic shouldn't be if we think Fedorov gets in, I think it should be "who doesn't think he'll get in" because I think that list would be very, very short.

The notion that you'd take one of Forsberg or Fedorov over the other in their prime is such a coin toss. They were both elite among the elite. I'd feel blessed to have either one even sniff my team.

Forsberg deserves to be in, without question. In my mind, so does Fedorov... and I'm sure we'll see him there. If he isn't first ballot, it'll be based on his decline and attitude, not his achievements, and he'll almost certainly get in on the second go round. Shoot, the doors he (and others) opened for Russian players alone is worth a glance from the Hall. The fact that he was the best in the league for a time and amassed the hardware he did just cements it. The man could play any skating position better than 99% of his peers. If he'd played a year in the AHL between the pipes, he probably could've become a backup tender.

I feel less strongly about Lindros, but that's another thread.

Edited by Uncle Danny

Guest Playmaker

I think what works against Sergei is that there's just that something about him. He just never seemed to grasp the humble, team player attitude that seems to define hockey players. He's one of those people that just needed to not speak, because every time he did, the wrong thing came out. His talent and stats are deserving, he'll be the first one to tell you that. Then he'll ask how much it pays to get into the Hall of Fame.

I think what works against Sergei is that there's just that something about him. He just never seemed to grasp the humble, team player attitude that seems to define hockey players. He's one of those people that just needed to not speak, because every time he did, the wrong thing came out. His talent and stats are deserving, he'll be the first one to tell you that. Then he'll ask how much it pays to get into the Hall of Fame.

But my god did he have steez.

I forget who said this, it may have been Yzerman, even if it wasn't him, I know I heard someone from the Red Wings say it. He said that Peter Forsberg, when he has the puck, if the hardest player in the NHL to knock off of it, but when he doesn't have the puck, all you have to do is breathe on him and he falls... That statement alone, considering he was known as a diver league wide. That alone makes Fedorov a better player than him, but I agree stats were similar. Fedorov is the highest scoring Russian to play in the NHL, that alone again, makes him a shoe in for the HOF. The fact that he left the Wings as a UFA will have no bearing on it, don't know who mentioned it above, but that is silly. Forsberg didn't play his entire career in Colorado either. I only wish, much like Forsberg, Fedorov got to end his career where he belonged, Detroit.

The thought of Pronger in the HOF makes me sick to my stomach.

Why?

Chelios is in the HHOF and he's at least as dirty of a player as Pronger was.

I hated him with a passion when he played against Detroit, but Pronger was a great defenseman.

Plus you gotta admit, it'd be pretty hilarious if Pronger was working for the NHL in Player Safety, a HHOF member, AND still technically a player for the Flyers. :lol:

I put off replying to this topic all day because I wanted to write a dissertation on why I think Feds is a lock for first ballot, and how I believe that a lot of his reported "attitude" problems hinged on cultural issues, and to reflect on the ways I feel Feds is superior to Forsberg.

But now I'm sleepy and hungry and I don't want to say anything other than

Fedorov is betterov