• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AtomicPunk

Forsberg in HOF, Fedorov equal?

Rate this topic

Pronger is this generation's Brad Park (except he actually won a Norris)

Point is, he'll be overshadowed by Lidstrom. But Pronger is one of the greatest players of his era. His playoff numbers alone, with three different teams in the Finals, are very impressive. He's easily a first ballot guy.

Guest Playmaker

I put off replying to this topic all day because I wanted to write a dissertation on why I think Feds is a lock for first ballot, and how I believe that a lot of his reported "attitude" problems hinged on cultural issues, and to reflect on the ways I feel Feds is superior to Forsberg.

But now I'm sleepy and hungry and I don't want to say anything other than

Fedorov is betterov

I just really don't think they were cultural. He always had that Michael Jackson-esque creepy weird Peter Pan vibe going on. I don't hate Sergei, but he just always left me wanting and expecting more on and off the ice. Sort of like how Franzen is now. Spectacular and dominating for a game or two and then you have to ask yourself the next game if he's even in the line up. I expect he'll make the Hall of Fame and it's neither here nor there to me.

I hated Forsberg back in the day. He is what I wish Franzen would be. Big, tough, skilled with a nasty streak.

IMO, the 2015 class locks are Lidstrom, Pronger (deemed eligible today) and Fedorov. Feds had the numbers, a Hart Trophy and 3 cups. That's a heck of a resume.

When I looked in to this last night LeBrun mentioned that they were going to discuss this next week in the HOF board meeting, but nothing was decided. :dntknw:

As much as I loathed him, He is a first ballot HOF. However I do not like the fact he is still collecting a paycheck for playing.

How come no one mentioned Homer in 2015.... Not a first ballot HOF.... *cough* :ph34r:

Article on those eligible next year:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=739939&navid=nhl:topheads

I think it's Lidstrom, Fedorov, Pronger. I'd like to see Paul Kariya in there over Pronger - He was a player with pure class. Too bad he never won a cup.

Pronger was one of the biggest game changers of his generation.Every team he played for excelled and then flustered when he left. Sure, he was a dirtbag, but his impact on a team cant be denied.

Also, pronger only missed the playoffs in his first 2 seasons. Kariya missed 9/15

Edited by WingsallTheway

I'd like to see Paul Kariya in there over Pronger

I do hope this is a joke. Kariya is borderline borderline, Pronger is a lock. I hate that goon as much as the next guy as a Wings fan, but gain some perspective. He could, and did, play some hockey.

Yeah, I guess I was unclear what I meant. My post does say I think it'll be LIds, Feds, Pronger - and that'll be deserving. I've just always hated Pronger - I kind of just meant anyone else instead of that guy. There's no way the Kariya should actually be there ahead of Pronger. That fact that you guys got up in arms shows that there's no real question about this class, though.

I did really like Kariya's character as a player, though - great speed, vision. But his career was messed up by concussions and he played on some pretty bad teams.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

Yeah, I guess I was unclear what I meant. My post does say I think it'll be LIds, Feds, Pronger - and that'll be deserving. I've just always hated Pronger - I kind of just meant anyone else instead of that guy. There's no way the Kariya should actually be there ahead of Pronger. That fact that you guys got up in arms shows that there's no real question about this class, though.

I did really like Kariya's character as a player, though - great speed, vision. But his career was messed up by concussions and he played on some pretty bad teams.

All apologies for having my sarcasm meter turned off. I think we're in lockstep here. I'm a big Kariya fan. He could've done great things were it not for clutch and grab, being slightly undersized and the concussions. If I had to pick one of Pronger or Kariya for the hall based on who I liked more, it wouldn't even be a vote. As it stands, ole gap toof gets in and Paul doesn't.

That is ironic. Pronger was a grade-A Prime ******, and dirty as heck, but he was a damned good defenseman. He'll get in on the first ballot, and deservedly so as far as his play as a d-man, but Lidstrom will still overshadow him like you said, GMR.

As far as class, on the ice Pronger had none, and the injury when Yzerman ducked his hit was deserved, imho. Lidstrom, on the other hand, epitomized class on and off the ice. His nickname of "The Perfect Human" was well deserved based on everything I'd seen and read. (Different meaning of class, but I had to go there, sorry).

The HHOF has a character element I think, but it is minor compared to the on-ice achievements in the evaluation process.

Lindros may have some trouble due to his bucking the draft and refusing to play for the Nordiques and his adversarial relationship with Philly (or, as I seem to recall, his parents' adversarial relationship with Philly). I think a lot of the "old school" voters were rubbed the wrong way by that. I do think he should get in eventually.

I think Fedorov should get in, based on his on-ice stats and awards. When he was on, he was an absolute beast on the ice.

Lidstrom was just a phenomenal player, in so many ways. I think he saw the game even better than Gretzky and that's why he was so positionally sound.

If it is those four players in next year's class, it could be hailed as one of the best ever, but those class comparisons could be an entirely new thread.

I think Fedorov was not equal but superior to Forsberg. In addition to other points made about Scotty using him as a d-man etc, (which Gretzky marveled at) the guy simply brought it come playoff time. Even in series where we were upset or beaten soundly he seemed to never really slump completely in my opinion. If the points weren't racking up he was slicing through neutral zone traps, back checking and maintaining incredible possession in ways I don't think Forsberg did quite as well. Feds still had nice regular seasons even though I just read in Mark Howe's book that the only season he ever brought his A game every night was 94'. Playoffs though he was probably top five ever IMHO I think he was Smythe worthy for all 3 cups.

First Freakin Ballot.

I think Fedorov was not equal but superior to Forsberg. In addition to other points made about Scotty using him as a d-man etc, (which Gretzky marveled at) the guy simply brought it come playoff time. Even in series where we were upset or beaten soundly he seemed to never really slump completely in my opinion. If the points weren't racking up he was slicing through neutral zone traps, back checking and maintaining incredible possession in ways I don't think Forsberg did quite as well. Feds still had nice regular seasons even though I just read in Mark Howe's book that the only season he ever brought his A game every night was 94'. Playoffs though he was probably top five ever IMHO I think he was Smythe worthy for all 3 cups.

First Freakin Ballot.

He was very good in the playoffs, but not even close to a top 5 all time playoff list. That's too praise worthy.

The thought of Pronger in the HOF makes me sick to my stomach.

How much we ALL would love to have Pronger..

Chelli and Clark where sooo much harder to accept. Coming to the wings I mean.

They all deserve to be in the hall. Feds is a sure thing. If anyone has any questions...

Ask Scotty

He led the 90's in playoff scoring which had some incredible wars and amazing players so I think he is at least top five all time. Im sure numbers on other greats could prove me wrong though.

Hockey existed before the 90's. Besides, he's not the top PPG player in the 90's in the playoffs. He scored the most points because the Wings played the most games. Not trying to diminish his accomplishments, but top 5 all time is an exclusive list.

Maybe the homerism in me is shining through but I feel the 90's are when the league finally had non Swiss cheese goaltending and he was one of the top players during that time. I believe Scotty called Sergei the top player he coached due to versatility but that's a fuzzy recollection so don't hold me to that I'm a noob here lol!

Edited by Desert Rat