• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
trule23

Smith and Ericcsson?

Rate this topic

The culture has already changed a great deal and will no doubt have to be the main catalyst for the removal of fighting.

Those scenarios will always be more frequent in hockey than other sports because of the speed, physicality and ability to inflict large amounts of damage at any time.

The pitcher in baseball throwing his ball at players is not even a close comparison.

We already have a model for what intense, physical, fast, aggressive, win at all costs hockey looks like. It's called the playoffs. And they rarely fight.

Absolutely and it's the best hockey there is.

Like I said before. I'm just curious how certain situations would play out.

Edited by Son of a Wing

The culture has already changed a great deal and will no doubt have to be the main catalyst for the removal of fighting.

Those scenarios will always be more frequent in hockey than other sports because of the speed, physicality and ability to inflict large amounts of change at any time.

The pitcher in baseball throwing his ball at players is not even a close comparison.

Absolutely and it's the best hockey there is.

Like I said before. I'm just curious how certain situations would play out.

How do teams respond to dirty hits in the playoffs? They don't. And nothing bad happens as a result. The Wings have made the playoffs for 23 straight years. We never fight in the regular season, let alone playoffs. Surely somewhere in those 23 playoff appearances a few of our guys got hit questionably. At which point we didn't respond. And nothing else happened. Nobody's career was ended. Our team didn't fail to have success. None of our guy opted to hit someone with a stick instead of a fist. Nothing happened at all. Well, except we did a ton of winning.

Edited by kipwinger

Just wondering. Has no one noticed that Ericsson's name is spelled wrong in the title yet? I noticed it when the thread was created but never said anything waiting to see how long till it was pointed out. I'll admit I haven't read 2/3 of the posts but I think it's funny.

I love fighting and would love to see it returned to what it was, but yes it's 100% slowly phasing itself out.

And it's phased out on LGW too. About 5 years ago, there were countless pro-enforcer posters on here. Now, they're phased out and replaced by this crowd.

And it's phased out on LGW too. About 5 years ago, there were countless pro-enforcer posters on here. Now, they're phased out and replaced by this crowd.

I like enforcers if they contribute.

A dude who can fight, kill penalties and contribute once in a while is a beautiful thing.

They just don't come around too Much anymore, and we can't afford to carry a goon.

I like enforcers if they contribute.

A dude who can fight, kill penalties and contribute once in a while is a beautiful thing.

They just don't come around too Much anymore, and we can't afford to carry a goon.

We never have either type of player. Holland just doesn't like physical forwards who fight, whether they contribute or not offensively. Holland probably faints at the sight of hockey fights.

Didnt he He try with tootoo?

And babs didn't play him, so idk what it is.

Don't even mention Tootoo. He got no kind of real chance here and ended up being a pointless signing.

Besides, he's not a big forward. I'm talking about forwards over 6'3 who can play a physical game. Holland never looks twice at those, whether they can contribute offensively or not.

Don't even mention Tootoo. He got no kind of real chance here and ended up being a pointless signing.

Besides, he's not a big forward. I'm talking about forwards over 6'3 who can play a physical game. Holland never looks twice at those, whether they can contribute offensively or not.

I'd like for them to get a big physical guy as much as you, but ones with any skill whatsoever are going to be expensive.

Guest DeGraa55

I'd like for them to get a big physical guy as much as you, but ones with any skill whatsoever are going to be expensive.

Ya that's the sad truth. Exactly what we need is a shanahan type player. Literally can do a bit of everything but ya good luck finding out and good luck finding a team wanting to trade one away!

How do teams respond to dirty hits in the playoffs? They don't. And nothing bad happens as a result. The Wings have made the playoffs for 23 straight years. We never fight in the regular season, let alone playoffs. Surely somewhere in those 23 playoff appearances a few of our guys got hit questionably. At which point we didn't respond. And nothing else happened. Nobody's career was ended. Our team didn't fail to have success. None of our guy opted to hit someone with a stick instead of a fist. Nothing happened at all. Well, except we did a ton of winning.

Talking about some serious revisionist history. the RW didn't win ANY Cups until they learn to push back. Remember the night of the turtle? or McCarty vs Pepe? The whole-Wings didn't fight and won a lot is a bunch of BS. The Wings did a ton of fighting in the late 90's. McCarty, Shanahan, Pushor, lapointe, Kocur, ward, etc.... The key was our tough guys were not just goons. They also could play the game. those guys could all skate, hit and score.

In fact that group was far more successful than the never fight at all group that has replaced them 3 SC's to 1. yes there are other factors that have come into play like the cap. But that really wasn't our advantage until after we won the first 2 cups. The 97 and 98 teams were not teams made up with a bunch of high priced UFA's. Most of the guys were home grown and a couple of key trades.

But the wings were a tough team and one of the best teams in the game. Now we are neither. A .500 team that lacks toughness.

That's what I'm saying.

I'd love to have one, but the likelihood of getting one is minimal.

Mantha. he is that type of player. Better skater than Shanny was.

Talking about some serious revisionist history. the RW didn't win ANY Cups until they learn to push back. Remember the night of the turtle? or McCarty vs Pepe? The whole-Wings didn't fight and won a lot is a bunch of BS. The Wings did a ton of fighting in the late 90's. McCarty, Shanahan, Pushor, lapointe, Kocur, ward, etc.... The key was our tough guys were not just goons. They also could play the game. those guys could all skate, hit and score.

In fact that group was far more successful than the never fight at all group that has replaced them 3 SC's to 1. yes there are other factors that have come into play like the cap. But that really wasn't our advantage until after we won the first 2 cups. The 97 and 98 teams were not teams made up with a bunch of high priced UFA's. Most of the guys were home grown and a couple of key trades.

But the wings were a tough team and one of the best teams in the game. Now we are neither. A .500 team that lacks toughness.

Mantha. he is that type of player. Better skater than Shanny was.

Reread my post. I was talking about the playoffs. When none of those guys you mentioned ever fought. That was the whole point. People don't fight in the playoffs and it's still an intense, physical, game.

Didnt he He try with tootoo?

And babs didn't play him, so idk what it is.

Have you seen his draft picks recently?