• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

In an odd way.....

Rate this topic

Because it is early in the season, in an odd way I actually look forward to Griffins games more than RW games atm. It is the young talent - Mantha that I am really looking forward to watching. Hell I don't even care about the Griffs record. Just that Mantha, Pulk, Oullett, Sproul, AA, etc... have good games. Of course if they all are, the record will take care of itself. If we can find 2-3 more studs like Mantha over the next couple of years, then by 2020 we will be legit SC contenders again.

That is one gigantic if.

Yup. But that is the case with every team in every season. if this happens, if that don't happen, if we this or that...... That is also what makes things fun. The unknown.

Edited by haroldsnepsts
removed deleted post

<mod edit>

I am looking forward to the future, and I think some of the kids in Grand Rapids are going to be big time players one day. I do look forward to Grand Rapids games, but not any more than any other season. I never miss a Wings game, haven't in years, and I've watched the majority of Griffins games for the past 3 years. But what we have going on right now in Detroit is pretty damn special if you ask me, and it's only going to get better. Still in a bit of a transition period, waiting for some of our young guys to get acclimated to the NHL, waiting for some of our AHL guys to prove they deserve a shot, and we are still playing quite well.

As of today we sit in 10th in the league, 4th in the conference and 3rd in the division, just three points behind 2nd (Tampa) with two games in hand. We could even be higher than we currently stand if we were able to win a few shootouts. I was just looking at some of our team stats and we are looking pretty good nearly through 1/4 of the season...

GF/GP - 2.84 (9th)

GA/GP - 2.21 (7th)

PP% - 19.5 (15th)

PK% - 89.6 (2nd) (0.1 behind 1st Chicago)

S/GP - 30.3 (13th)

SA/GP - 26.6 (3rd)

FO% - 53.2 (2nd)

Those are some respectable numbers. Also, I'm a firm believer that in order to have success your special teams need to equal upwards of 110% when you add together your PP% and PK%. Right now we are at 109.1% which is very respectable. That is also good for 2nd place if I'm not mistaken, behind only Pittsburgh (122.2%). There PP has been unreal, but I think that will come down to earth a little more as the season goes on...

Edited by haroldsnepsts
removed deleted portion of discussion

Those are some respectable numbers. Also, I'm a firm believer that in order to have success your special teams need to equal upwards of 110% when you add together your PP% and PK%. Right now we are at 109.1% which is very respectable. That is also good for 2nd place if I'm not mistaken, behind only Pittsburgh (122.2%). There PP has been unreal, but I think that will come down to earth a little more as the season goes on...

...so you're saying we just need to give 110%?

Man I thought the nhl schedule for the wings was dumb. The griffins take the cake at least for November. They have/had a bunch of back to backs or 2 in 3 mostly two game series against teams then 4 or 5 days off, whoever does that schedule must have been drunk.

If you don't like a thread, DON'T POST IN IT.

1) By posting you're only keeping a thread you don't like more active. If few people respond, the thread quickly gets bumped down the page by more active threads and the problem takes care of itself.

2) By posting about whether something is threadworthy or not, you derail the conversation and reduce any chance the thread had at actually becoming a meaningful conversation. It becomes self-fulfilling. "I think this thread is stupid so I made a post saying as much. Now we're talking about how stupid the thread is. After multiple posts about how stupid this thread is, the thread indeed has become stupid."

I've cleaned up the thread. Please don't drive it into the ditch again.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Guest DeGraa55

I've been busy so haven't made it to a griffins game yet but I also am excited to see them. But...I'm even more excited to watch nyquist Tatar Sheahan jurco smith and dekeyser.

I mean other then Howard all the kids are my favorite. Wings games are quite looked forward to now...

I keep saying we've needed a proven dominate scorer....but if nyquist and Tatar keep it up hell it just might be those two!!

I've been busy so haven't made it to a griffins game yet but I also am excited to see them. But...I'm even more excited to watch nyquist Tatar Sheahan jurco smith and dekeyser.

I mean other then Howard all the kids are my favorite. Wings games are quite looked forward to now...

I keep saying we've needed a proven dominate scorer....but if nyquist and Tatar keep it up hell it just might be those two!!

Its kind of weird seeing two kids produce like this for us, you'd think their goals and assists would be backwards to what they actually are.

Guest DeGraa55

Its kind of weird seeing two kids produce like this for us, you'd think their goals and assists would be backwards to what they actually are.

Ya it's quite exciting. They bring a lot of energy I feel we have needed(that energy also can come from fighting as well). But scoring goals works well.

2020? Are we really 6 years away from seeing a contender? They may not win the SC before then, but I surely hope they contend before then.

It depends on what you consider a contender. Just making the PO's? Then we are that now. But a team that everyone is thinking before the season has a legit chance to win the SC and then goes out and makes a deep run, yes it is going to take a few years. we haven't really bottomed out yet. Datsyuk, Z, Kronwall etc are still here but slowly fading. Once they have been replaced by equal or greater talent then we have finished the rebuild. That will take a couple more years and acouple after that for the new stars to be fully in their primes.

On nights that both teams play and I don't watch, I have started checking the Griffs boz score first. I want to see if Mantha or Sproul etc... scored first. The better they do the faster they get to detroit. That is what I am looking forward to so much. getting the whole group together in Detroit and seeing what we truely have. But for those guys to move up, they have to perform.

Our forward corps is going to be absolutely insane in a couple years.

Hopefully, we still need some of our center prospects to really come through once Z and Dats retire or we'll have great wingers but no elite centremen.

Man I thought the nhl schedule for the wings was dumb. The griffins take the cake at least for November. They have/had a bunch of back to backs or 2 in 3 mostly two game series against teams then 4 or 5 days off, whoever does that schedule must have been drunk.

A lot of the reasoning behind the AHL scheduling is due to schooling for the players, and sharing arenas. The AHL is low priority compared to the major pro sports teams they share arenas with, so between that and many of the players having class during the week, you see a lot of weekend-heavy scheduling. I'm sure there are other reasons, but those two come to mind for me.

A lot can happen in that timeperiod but:

- the remaining stars will be long gone by then << replacing them is *not* going to be an easy task

- other current contenders will be on the decline (Boston if they don't replace Chara, Pittsburgh Crosby will be 34 by then, Blues Backes would turn 37...) but other would be at the prime of their run (Tampa !, Sabers)

So for now I'll gladly enjoy watching the young guns play and not expect anything, till this team is loaded in real redwingsstyle again

Hopefully, we still need some of our center prospects to really come through once Z and Dats retire or we'll have great wingers but no elite centremen.

Oh, for sure. I'm just talking about the next few years, Datsyuk's last hurrah. Though, yeah, there's no guarantee that it's going to come together the away I'm envisioning it.