• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

Inconsistency

Rate this topic

We now have a young team and youth usually equals inconsistency. We've had these young players (Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan...) alternately be very hot or being struggling - which is to be expected and fine for their 2nd year. Usually the steadying influence is the vets, but Datsyuk's been in and out; Zetterberg, Helm and Ericsson been struggling to find a steady game after last year's injuries. Franzen, Howard, and Abdelkader are vets that have brought a consistent game, but that's not many. I think if Z Helm and Ericsson can find their usual games, we'll be a much more steady team.

Of course we're not a better team. I'm just saying that you can't pin loses on the failure to have Datsyuk in the lineup. We don't have too many loses without Datsyuk in the lineup. So far, the fact that our impressive wins are punctuated by loses isn't due to Datsyuk's absence, because thus far when he's been gone we've won more often than lost. That's all I'm saying.

I'm definitely not saying that, I'm just saying it doesn't help matters either. We need to get our kids playing like they are capable no matter who's in the lineup, and no one would ever really say that we're a better team without Datsyuk. The sooner the team gets used to playing as a mostly-complete team, as in not missing major pieces like Datsyuk, the better we'll be. It just boils down to inexperience and lack of familiarity with roles to me.

See above. I didn't say they're a better team. I said they've won more than lost with him absent. As such, it's hard to blame the loses on his absence.

I know, I meant it more generally. Believe me, I don't think anyone on this forum in their right mind is going to say such a thing and mean it.

I 100% agree with your thoughts on the lack of familiarity with roles. I think, because we don't have two reliable centers, that our top six roles are constantly in flux. As such, guys aren't slotted correctly and nobody is developing chemistry with the guys they should be.

I 100% agree with your thoughts on the lack of familiarity with roles. I think, because we don't have two reliable centers, that our top six roles are constantly in flux. As such, guys aren't slotted correctly and nobody is developing chemistry with the guys they should be.

I see that as a rather easily resolvable issue with a bit more time, hence why I'm not too concerned with the way things have gone thus far.

I see that as a rather easily resolvable issue with a bit more time, hence why I'm not too concerned with the way things have gone thus far.

I sure hope you're right. It's been so long. Lonely. It just feels lonely without two good centers.

The scary part is we are this inconsistent with 3 F's on fire when it comes to scoring. Nyquist, Tatar and Franzen are all putting the puck in the net at rates that can't be sustained. Wait until the slumps and/or injuries come-which those will at some point.

The scary part is we are this inconsistent with 3 F's on fire when it comes to scoring. Nyquist, Tatar and Franzen are all putting the puck in the net at rates that can't be sustained. Wait until the slumps and/or injuries come-which those will at some point.

So scared right now...I can barely contain it...the fear is overwhelming...

Rich, I disagree. Tatar has been on fire as of late with 12 points (8 goals, 4 assists) in the past 12 games, which is great, but he has been the only one "on fire". Nyquist only has 4 points (3 goals, 1 assist) in his past 11 games, in which 2 of those points came in one game against Tampa, and the other came last night against Ottawa. I'm not saying he is in a massive slump, but definitely not on fire. Franzen has been extremely consistent so far this season, but doesn't have a point in his past two games, his longest stretch all season. Zetterberg has been in a bit of a slump, with just 3 assists in his past 9 games. I'm sure once Tatar cools off a little, which he inevitably will, Zetterberg will be out of his slump. Sheahan really seems to be heating up lately with 5 points (3 goals, 2 assists) in the past 5 games, and hopefully with Nyquist finding the back of the net again last night, he will heat up again.

Anyway, my point is, that while some players are on fire or heating up, some other players are slumping right now. That's just the way it is in any sport. Also, Datsyuk has been injured and Smith is out now, so you can't really say there haven't been any significant injuries...

I think if the offense can work like it did against Ottawa we won't have any problems. Anderson was looking like a brick wall in the beginning but they found ways to get pucks in by putting forty shots on goal.

Edited by mvanpop

What some guys have been doing isn't sustainable. Guys are not going to finish the year shooting over 15%. Dman over 10% etc..... Great goal scorers end up in the 12-13% range. of course Weiss isn't going to score on 100% of his shots either. That is why we are discussing the inconsistency's and discussing in other threads the need to continue to add more talent.