• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

11/28 GDT - Red Wings @ Devils - 7:00 PM EST

Rate this topic

No one says you can't score on the 4th line, but ours doesn't very often because they are relied on more to shut down than to provide offense, and I'm quite okay with that. Draper, Maltby and McCarty did put up huge numbers that year, but that was the year we won our back to back Cups, and everything was clicking. It was also, like you said, a different time (pre-salary cap), a different coach, and different players.

I'm not saying Jurco is leader material but he definitely is not a role player either, in the sense that he is a bottom six player. I've definitely seen enough out of him over the years to suggest he will absolutely be a top six forward. I've followed him closely since the day we drafted him, from Saint John to Grand Rapids, and he has dominated every level. If he were down in Grand Rapids this year, there is no doubt in my mind that he would be leading the league right now.

Gustav Nyquist-Henrik Zetterberg-Justin Abdelkader

Tomas Tatar-Riley Sheahan-Johan Franzen

Darren Helm-Pavel Datsyuk-Stephen Weiss

Drew Miller-Luke Glendening-Tomas Jurco

Joakim Andersson, Daniel Cleary (scratched)

On defense:

Jonathan Ericsson-Niklas Kronwall

Kyle Quincey-Danny DeKeyser

Xavier Ouellet-Jakub Kindl

Brian Lashoff (scratched)

Brendan Smith (hand laceration, skated on IR)

In goal:

Petr Mrazek (starting)

Jimmy Howard

Q&A with Khan. Anthony Mantha is the Detroit Red Wings' most heralded prospect since Henrik Zetterberg in 2002.

But while Zetterberg was a rookie a dozen years ago, "prospect" might not be the right term to describe him. He was a little older at 22, had two years of experience in the Swedish men's league and had appeared in the Olympics and World Championship before arriving in North America.

He was a more accomplished and NHL-ready player and finished second in Calder Trophy voting for rookie of the year.

So, on second thought, Mantha probably is the Red Wings' most highly touted prospect since Keith Primeau, the third overall pick in 1990.

Because of where they have drafted every year since selecting Primeau (only one top-10 pick since), the Red Wings don't get players that resemble Mantha, a 6-foot-5, 214-pound pure goal-scoring winger they were fortunate was still available at No. 20 in 2013.

This is why Red Wings fans are always asking about him. This week is no different.

Q: Do you really think Mantha could be in Detroit after just a few weeks of producing in the AHL? - Matthew

A: I think so. I was told a week ago that the Red Wings have discussed bringing up Mantha from the Grand Rapids Griffins in a few weeks if he's playing well. He has two goals and no assists in five games, after an eight-week absence due to a broken tibia.

"He's got too many things going for him not to consider bringing him up," was the way it was explained to me.

This was before Stephen Weiss produced four points in his first two games back from a groin injury and Tomas Jurco perked up with five points in five games.

But the Red Wings are anxious to get a look at Mantha sooner than later. They realize Zetterberg (34) and Pavel Datsyuk (36) are getting up there in age and they want to surround them with more talent without sacrificing part of the future (by making a risky trade).

Of course, if they promote Mantha, he'll need to play well to stay here.

Q: I am curious what you think about the fact that Datsyuk is playing without Zetterberg these days. ... Datsyuk mentioned several years ago that it is much tougher to play without Zetterberg because he has to back-check so much more, while he is obviously also the playmaker going forward when Z isn't there. With both of them getting up there in age wouldn't it be much safer to play them together? - Joe

A: I think Mike Babcock will eventually reunite Datsyuk and Zetterberg, likely with Justin Abdelkader.

But it depends on having a reliable, productive second-line center. Riley Sheahan is showing signs of becoming that player. They initially signed Weiss to fill that role. He's produced in two games; if he stays healthy maybe he'll finally lock down that second-line center spot.

Q: We all love watching The Magic Man play but that's becoming an increasingly infrequent opportunity. It's clear Datsyuk can no longer stay healthy and without him the Wings are going nowhere. Do you think there's any possibility Ken Holland trades Pav, Hank or any of the other brittle veterans while he can still get a decent return? - jmb

A: Not sure what other "brittle veterans" you're referring to, but Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't going anywhere. Even if the Red Wings missed the playoffs and went into some sort of rebuild, I highly doubt they would look to move either of their franchise players. Some players are just destined to wear the winged wheel their entire NHL career, and Datsyuk and Zetterberg are two of them. I'd also include Niklas Kronwall in that category.

Q: Will Datsyuk ever play 60 games a season again? - Reporterone

A: I'll let you know in a couple of years.

Q: What is the "real story" behind the seeming disdain Babcock has for (Jakub) Kindl? ... Looking at his full body of work this year, both his hard numbers and his decision-making and play on the ice, I do not see him as any worse than (Jonathan) Ericsson or, overall, (Brendan) Smith and (Kyle) Quincey. Does Babcock not like his work ethic? I had the same suspicions about (Jiri) Hudler and (Valtteri) Filppula, who have both gone on to prosper elsewhere. I think this is a shame as I see in Kindl as a kid with a lot of raw skill, a great skater, with offensive potential and a bomb from the point when he wants to unleash it - hence I was happy to see him on the power play. But I now wonder if his confidence is so shaken he is on his way out of Detroit. - John

A: I wouldn't go as far as to call it disdain, but he certainly is hard on Kindl, who has a shorter leash than others. I don't believe there is anything more to the story than what Babcock said earlier this week and has stated previously - Kindl needs to compete harder on a regular basis. He must win more puck battles and not avoid contact. Kindl hasn't been available for comment in a couple of weeks but has admitted this in the past.

It was puzzling to see him benched midway through a 4-1 victory over Chicago, and I don't think he should have been scratched the next four games. Overall, Kindl has played better than he did last season, and the second power-play unit is more productive with Kindl than Danny DeKeyser.

But I believe Kindl eventually will be traded, whether it's this season, in the off-season or next season. They have so many defensemen in the system that are projected to reach the NHL - Alexey Marchenko, Ryan Sproul, Nick Jensen, Mattias Backman and Xavier Ouellet, who's here for now - they won't be able to keep all of them in addition to Kronwall, DeKeyser, Ericsson and Smith.

Edited by KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

The devils were just on a west coast trip and had the last 3 days off, that tends to mean they would start off sluggish. The one thing I would like to see Detroit do which hasn't been lately is start on time!!!

Wings take this one 3-2 (natural hattie for Franzen) betta believe it.

Smith will not be back tonight, he will be evaluated on Sunday to determine whether or not he will be in the lineup for the afternoon game on Sunday against Vancouver.

So I'm assuming it will be the same lineup tonight as Wednesday, (hopefully Andersson and Lashoff remain out...) but maybe some tweaks in the lines. I know we won our last game but I really hope he jumbles it up a little...

I'd like to see something like this... (the same lines I've been clamoring for since the start of the season...)

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Franzen

Tatar - Datsyuk - Jurco

Helm - Sheahan - Weiss

Miller - Glendening - Abdelkader

Love that first line. But I think the IR Express must stay together as long as they continue to produce. I think they will only get better the more time they play together.