• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Are the Wings a Contender?

Rate this topic

Guest DeGraa55

I think the thing that surprises me is we have had some injury issues with like dat Weiss smith and even Howard but they're still doing well.

Now granted it seems to have only been one or two at a time and not like 3 4 or 5. But before the season began I based my predictions 100% on health and I'll continue to do that.

I think they could win a series or two in the playoffs I they still healthy. But if the injury bug bites aain(still only two months into season) we could be into trouble.

In the East? Absolutely. The East is wide open. Boston have lost some of their depth and it shows, Pittsburgh still have no wingers and questionable goaltending. Zetterberg and Datsyuk may not quite be at the elite level of Crosby and Malkin any more, but the Pens would kill for our depth at wing, and I wouldn't swap Howard for three MAF's

The current, healthy crop of forwards is what we've been looking forward to for several years. Add a RH PMD and we have a rounded, balanced team. Good PK, PP improving, good goaltending, what's not to like?

lol exactly

Nothing exactly, it's way too early for bold predictions like that. Did the wings start better than I've expected them ? Absolutely Do I think they can keep it up ? Who knows but I'd rather keep it realistic and enjoy watching the future of this time instead of dreaming about something on which other teams are having a much better shot at.

Yeah, the Bruins have taken a step back (I still can't believe they've lost Iginla, Thornton and Boychuck) and not replacing them - thats on Chiarelli and he has to fix it. Pittsburgh regular season is meaningless for them, we'll see how they are doing in the playoffs.

Contend for the playoffs? Yes. Contend for the Cup? No. That of course means nothing in November. Injuries, trades made and not made, what other teams do will all come into play. We do have the benefit of being in the east which is weaker overall. Fewer dominate teams. But the Isles are much better, the Caps are better, but the Flyers are worse. So it should be a fun ride to the finish.

great-performances-in-film-marlon-brando

No, they're not. Howard has had one good playoff run in his career, and even then, he didn't get us to the Conference Finals. On top of his mediocrity, the defense is too unimpressive.

If healthy, this is a team that can finish in the top 4, but they're not built for the playoffs. They showed that last year, even though they got healthy by playoff time.

Zetterberg and Howard didn't play the whole series last season due to health issues. I wouldn't consider a team missing its captain (one of the team's regular top point producers) and the starting goaltender to be "healthy," myself.

I would still like to upgrade the D if we want to make a run.

I wonder if Tatar + Kindl could get us Ryan Ellis. Right handed shot, fast skater. Could pair really nice on the 2nd line with Smitty or Dekeyser.

Pulks has been tearing it up down in GR. He would probably be a slight downgrade on Tatar, but we could really boost our D. And THAT SHOT.

Imagine D in a few years of Smitty, Ellis and Jensen. All great, fast skaters. Would pair really well with the speed we have on the team and in the system.

I am totally making this up, but it feels like the "winning tradition" of our glory days have faded and we need to re-learn what it takes to win in the same way the LA Kings did after having the tools in place for a number of years. We're a young club now and we're relying on inexperienced players so naturally our club needs time to mature.

I don't think we'll be in the running this year or next year but a couple deep runs may accelerate the process for sure.

I do believe that the young guys do need to learn how to win as you say. The vast majority of the current roster wasn't around for the 2008 run.

Guys like Pavel and Zetterberg can lead the way, but some things need to be forged in the heat of battle. I have a feeling that Cleary is exceptional in practices, etc. in getting some of the younger guys to bear down, and that's why so many in the organization wanted him back. He's been better on the ice this season and I could see him transitioning into coaching/player development after this season.

Edited by TheXym

I wonder if Tatar + Kindl could get us Ryan Ellis. Right handed shot, fast skater. Could pair really nice on the 2nd line with Smitty or Dekeyser.

Doubtful. I don't see a player of Ellis' calibre getting dealt as the Preds build from the net out. No way they're willing to part with a solid piece of their defensive core for something off our scrap heap. (Kindl)

Nothing exactly, it's way too early for bold predictions like that. Did the wings start better than I've expected them ? Absolutely Do I think they can keep it up ? Who knows but I'd rather keep it realistic and enjoy watching the future of this time instead of dreaming about something on which other teams are having a much better shot at.

Yeah, the Bruins have taken a step back (I still can't believe they've lost Iginla, Thornton and Boychuck) and not replacing them - thats on Chiarelli and he has to fix it. Pittsburgh regular season is meaningless for them, we'll see how they are doing in the playoffs.

I don't consider them making the playoffs a "bold prediction".

You're right frank if we were talking about winning the cup. But rick and kliq talked about getting into the playoffs. We already played a lot of hockey and a quick glance at the standings with 7 points ahead on the top team not in a wildcard spot tells us we're looking pretty good. And not just because we're lucky or got weak opponents, but because the team plays excellent hockey and finds ways to win. We would have to pull a Toronto like breakdown to miss the playoffs.

Predicting we hold one of the top 3 spots at the end of the season is bold, predicting we're making the playoffs not so much.

Edited by derblaueClaus

Frankgrimes: keeping it realistic since 2012

In the East? Absolutely. The East is wide open. Boston have lost some of their depth and it shows, Pittsburgh still have no wingers and questionable goaltending. Zetterberg and Datsyuk may not quite be at the elite level of Crosby and Malkin any more, but the Pens would kill for our depth at wing, and I wouldn't swap Howard for three MAF's

The current, healthy crop of forwards is what we've been looking forward to for several years. Add a RH PMD and we have a rounded, balanced team. Good PK, PP improving, good goaltending, what's not to like?

I think it was the Wednesday Night Rivalry feed where an announcer said with $2.5m cap space, that means we can acquire two $5m pieces at the Trade Dead Line. Hmm.

Guest Playmaker

I'm not going to overthink or overanalyze this season and just enjoy it. It's been cool to enjoy watching the Wings again. It's such a far cry from last season. Could it be possible the brain trust does know what it's doing?

Maybe if San Jose completely tanks, and somehow we acquire RH Dman Brent Burns without giving up too much. :-)

It's not like the youth don't know how to win. You can't discount the Calder Cup. That's Andersson, Tatar, Jurco, Nyquist, Dekeyser, Mrazek, Sheahan, Glendenning. You can't TEACH that, you can't BUY that, it's a huge experience.

Wasn't it Bruce Boudreaux who talked about how dangerous the Wings are when you combine the awesome veterans with a group of kids fresh off a Calder Cup victory?

Edited by T.Low

I don't think they're a top contender but they're in that second tier of teams that have a chance.

I can see them being similar to the 2012 kings. Most of these kids have a couple tough playoff losses under their belt, and they could end up taking the league by storm in the playoffs.

I can see them being similar to the 2012 kings. Most of these kids have a couple tough playoff losses under their belt, and they could end up taking the league by storm in the playoffs.

And who knows what happens at the trade deadline if the Wings keep going the way they have been. Can't see Holland not making a movie for a right handed dman if the team looks like a legit contender.

And who knows what happens at the trade deadline if the Wings keep going the way they have been. Can't see Holland not making a movie for a right handed dman if the team looks like a legit contender.

I can considering it has been a huge need for years now and has still yet to be addressed.

That being said, I will defend Holland and say I am glad he hasn't overpaid for someone like Tyler Myers or Mike Green just to have a righty d-man.

If Holland truly believes that they're one player away from being a favorite for the Cup at the deadline and that player is available, I think he pulls the trigger. They have more prospects than they have room for now. If Pulk continues to score like he has, him one of the D prospects, and a pick or another prospect should be good enough to do it.

Guest DeGraa55

Unless we moved Ericsson I wouldn't wanna acquire a defenseman that has more that one year(next year) left on his deal. Cause once quinceys deal is up we have

Kronwall Ericsson

Smith dekeyser

Oullete and sproul

So unless Ericsson is moved the only way I want then to acquire a defenseman is if it's short term with nex year being the final year. So a guy like mike green could be perfect just don't overpay.

Also for the record. I have no issue with holland standing pant and holding into the prospects. But they should be playing now over guys like

Kindl, Quincey, cleary, Anderson, miller etc etc

I just have an issue with him doing the middle I the road path. If were rebuilding why give kindl a spot over oullete? A guy who deserve it and can use the experience now.

If were rebuilding why gives Quincey a two year deal? He has been fine no doubt about it but he isn't apart of the future when oullete and sproul are.

Unless we moved Ericsson I wouldn't wanna acquire a defenseman that has more that one year(next year) left on his deal. Cause once quinceys deal is up we have

Kronwall Ericsson

Smith dekeyser

Oullete and sproul

So unless Ericsson is moved the only way I want then to acquire a defenseman is if it's short term with nex year being the final year. So a guy like mike green could be perfect just don't overpay.

Also for the record. I have no issue with holland standing pant and holding into the prospects. But they should be playing now over guys like

Kindl, Quincey, cleary, Anderson, miller etc etc

I just have an issue with him doing the middle I the road path. If were rebuilding why give kindl a spot over oullete? A guy who deserve it and can use the experience now.

If were rebuilding why gives Quincey a two year deal? He has been fine no doubt about it but he isn't apart of the future when oullete and sproul are.

Because a part of rebuilding is learning how to win. You don't do that by throwing all the kids in the lineup at once. That's hoe you get the Edmonton Oilers.

And why would Holland put kids in over two players sitting in the press box every night? They get playing time in GR. Cleary and Andersson are doing great at keeping the press box warm.

I definitely agree with having XO in the lineup. And that time will come sooner rather than later. But what happens if Kindl or Lashoff are dumped and we suddenly get a couple injuries on the blueline? Screwed, is what.

I think this coming month will show if we're for real or not.

FLA, DAL, NYR, @CAR, TOR, FLA, @TOR, CBJ, NYI, COL, BUF, @OTT, @BOS

We should be piling up the points, only the Rangers, Bruins, and Islanders should be potentially regulation loses. The rest I see us winning or getting a loser point from. The East is wide open and now is the time to make our move.