• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Are the Wings a Contender?

Rate this topic

Kronwall has 5 goals and 16 assists. Zidlicky has 4 goals and 14 assists.

Zidlicky isn't exactly ideal, certainly isn't a long-term answer, but he does offer what we need on the back end: offense (great passer and shooter), scoring, a RH shot, power play prowess. And his cap hit's only $3M.

Edited by Dabura

Kronwall has 5 goals and 16 assists. Zidlicky has 4 goals and 14 assists.

Zidlicky isn't exactly ideal, certainly isn't a long-term answer, but he does offer what we need on the back end: offense (great passer and shooter), scoring, a RH shot, power play prowess. And his cap hit's only $3M.

Cap hit doesn't matter much when you're talking about grabbing up a guy at the deadline. Anyway that you look at it, we should be fine, but which d-man goes back to NJ? Kindl? God. Can you imagine Scott Stevens coaching him... he'd probably turn into the beast we always hoped he be... LOL. Yeah, right...

...and to my previous comment. OLD is exactly what Holland looks for... so, yeah, that's pretty much a slam-dunk.

Cap hit doesn't matter much when you're talking about grabbing up a guy at the deadline. Anyway that you look at it, we should be fine, but which d-man goes back to NJ? Kindl? God. Can you imagine Scott Stevens coaching him... he'd probably turn into the beast we always hoped he be... LOL. Yeah, right...

...and to my previous comment. OLD is exactly what Holland looks for... so, yeah, that's pretty much a slam-dunk.

We wouldn't necessarily have to wait until the deadline, as the writing's on the wall for the Devils. Lousy roster, nothing in the pipeline, everyone knows what must be done. They need to stockpile futures.

Zidlicky's old, and it shows, but we don't need a world-beater, we just need a good second-pairing defenseman who can move the puck, generate offense, put up points, run a power play. That's Zidlicky. We have enough "defensive defensemen"; few if any teams suppress shots as well as the Wings do. Plus, going back to his age - the best thing for us might actually be a veteran stopgap.

What would he cost? I have to think they'd want futures, not a key roster player. Maybe we can throw Kindl in.

I think we should be giving O'Reilly a long look. Considering we need to draft a surefire C prospect this coming draft we might as well try to use that pick in a package for O'Reilly.

We have some Dmen knocking on the door already in GR and I would be happy to wait one year for a few to pan out.

The real question is if Colorado is willing to trade with us after all these years.

I think we should be giving O'Reilly a long look. Considering we need to draft a surefire C prospect this coming draft we might as well try to use that pick in a package for O'Reilly.

We have some Dmen knocking on the door already in GR and I would be happy to wait one year for a few to pan out.

The real question is if Colorado is willing to trade with us after all these years.

We had to go through Yzerman in order to get KFQ

Avalanche would never trade with the Wings and vice versa. Even if the team did Wings don't have the assets to get it done ROR will cost a lot we are talking Nyquist/Tatar + Sproul + 1 st here that's a high price to pay and personally I'd rather pay such a high price for a top defender. Or like mentioned before throw the bank at Boychuck July 1 because it wouldn't cost anything only §. The Wings are in a somewhat tough position going forward, soon they have to replace two elite two way centers and also have to find top defensive help, all that while hoping that some prospects turn out much better than expected :(

Larkin has obviously been great at the WJC but lets not forget its the WJC hopefully his success translates well to the NHL I think he is our best bet in terms of future centers.

Anyway, to get back to the question I don't think they are I've said it during the impressive winning streak and I'll say it again the Wings aren't consistent enough and as the games are starting to mean more and more other teams are going to ramp up their physicality and this team has shown time and time again that they are easy to intimidate.

IMaybe if the team loads up come trade dead line = Holland pulling a rabbit out of his dusty hat...but not right now. To me the difference between not making the playoffs and getting bounced in round 1 isn't that much of a difference especially in such a deep draft. The next two drafts are absolutely vital for this team going forward, Wings need to hit a homerun in one of them.

Contenders are:

Tampa, Pittsburgh, Boston (IF Chiarelli has an unreal trade dead line), LA, St. Louis, Chicago, Nashville and Anaheim.

I was going to put this in the "Nashville has yet to lose 2 games in a row this season" thread, but I started going off on a tangent so here seemed more appropriate...

Nashville are the only team to not lose two games in a row this season, but Nashville AND Detroit are the only two teams that have not lost two games in a row in regulation this season. I think the Wings have been pretty consistent this season. Sure, their goal scoring has seen it's ups and downs but the same goes for every team. The key is, when their goal scoring has gone through it's dry spells, they have managed to keep the opposition in check, lowering their goals against. In saying that though, I do believe that Detroit are much better off trying to win games 4-3, 4-2 as opposed to 2-1, 1-0. Unlike past years, this team is capable of scoring at a higher clip, but for whatever reason, Babcock would rather play defensive hockey over offensive hockey, which clearly is not the teams strong suit... I do think Babcock is a great coach, but I think a lot (maybe all) fans get frustrated with his line combinations, ice time distribution, constant coddling of certain players, while other (better) players remain in his dog house (for reasons unexplained...).

I hate when people say things like, "Detroit are lucky they're getting all these "loser points", otherwise they wouldn't be in the playoff picture". No, not at all. This "loser point" as it is so often referred, is the same thing as a point for a tie, the extra point that is handed out to the "winner" is the one that should get the negative connotation in my opinion. These teams that are racking up points in the shootout are the "lucky" ones, and the "bulls*** winner in a shootout point" needs to go in my opinion. Teams shouldn't be able to make the playoffs based on a skills competition. The Red Wings are 1-7 in the shootout, while the Islanders are 6-1. If the Red Wings had a reversed record and 6 more points, they would be first in the league with 55 points, whereas, if the Islanders had a reversed record and 5 less points, they would be a borderline playoff team instead of being tied for second in the Conference. I hate using "what ifs" but that is a pretty remarkable difference, based on an aspect of the game that should be done away with, in a lot of fans opinions...

Anyway, is this team a contender? I think they are a couple pieces away from being a true contender. I just hope Holland makes the necessary moves, without mortgaging the future. The pieces are definitely there, but let's just hope he doesn't move any of the "untouchables"...

I was going to put this in the "Nashville has yet to lose 2 games in a row this season" thread, but I started going off on a tangent so here seemed more appropriate...

Nashville are the only team to not lose two games in a row this season, but Nashville AND Detroit are the only two teams that have not lost two games in a row in regulation this season. I think the Wings have been pretty consistent this season. Sure, their goal scoring has seen it's ups and downs but the same goes for every team. The key is, when their goal scoring has gone through it's dry spells, they have managed to keep the opposition in check, lowering their goals against. In saying that though, I do believe that Detroit are much better off trying to win games 4-3, 4-2 as opposed to 2-1, 1-0. Unlike past years, this team is capable of scoring at a higher clip, but for whatever reason, Babcock would rather play defensive hockey over offensive hockey, which clearly is not the teams strong suit... I do think Babcock is a great coach, but I think a lot (maybe all) fans get frustrated with his line combinations, ice time distribution, constant coddling of certain players, while other (better) players remain in his dog house (for reasons unexplained...).

I hate when people say things like, "Detroit are lucky they're getting all these "loser points", otherwise they wouldn't be in the playoff picture". No, not at all. This "loser point" as it is so often referred, is the same thing as a point for a tie, the extra point that is handed out to the "winner" is the one that should get the negative connotation in my opinion. These teams that are racking up points in the shootout are the "lucky" ones, and the "bulls*** winner in a shootout point" needs to go in my opinion. Teams shouldn't be able to make the playoffs based on a skills competition. The Red Wings are 1-7 in the shootout, while the Islanders are 6-1. If the Red Wings had a reversed record and 6 more points, they would be first in the league with 55 points, whereas, if the Islanders had a reversed record and 5 less points, they would be a borderline playoff team instead of being tied for second in the Conference. I hate using "what ifs" but that is a pretty remarkable difference, based on an aspect of the game that should be done away with, in a lot of fans opinions...

Anyway, is this team a contender? I think they are a couple pieces away from being a true contender. I just hope Holland makes the necessary moves, without mortgaging the future. The pieces are definitely there, but let's just hope he doesn't move any of the "untouchables"...

Couldn't have said it better myself, I 100% agree.

Extremely well put! I also completely agree.

The Red Wings are 1-7 in the shootout, while the Islanders are 6-1. If the Red Wings had a reversed record and 6 more points, they would be first in the league with 55 points, whereas, if the Islanders had a reversed record and 5 less points, they would be a borderline playoff team instead of being tied for second in the Conference. I hate using "what ifs" but that is a pretty remarkable difference, based on an aspect of the game that should be done away with, in a lot of fans opinions...

Yeah but we don't fight enough. What if someone takes a run at Zetterberg? Who's gonna lay down the law? Therefore, we are not contenders. Your argument is stupid.

Also, we've lost some games. True contenders (e.g. Kings, Blues, Bruins) don't lose games. Shawn Thornton was available, but Ken Holland is an idiot and so he let him go to the Panthers. Do you think it's a coincidence that the Panthers have beaten us twice? Thornton and Mitchell and Bolland give them toughness and leadership and character, something the Wings completely lack.

We'll be lucky to make the playoffs.

Also, we've lost some games. True contenders (e.g. Kings, Blues, Bruins) don't lose games. Shawn Thornton was available, but Ken Holland is an idiot and so he let him go to the Panthers. Do you think it's a coincidence that the Panthers have beaten us twice? Thornton and Mitchell and Bolland give them toughness and leadership and character, something the Wings completely lack.

Truculence :boxing:

Mcgratton could solve all our problems

Which teams are playing like Stanley Cup contenders in 2014-15? [CBSSports.com]

But how about the Detroit Red Wings?

A team that has very quietly retooled and rebuilt in recent years (while still making the playoffs every season) and is still looking like it could cause some problems in the postseason. Nicklas Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski are no longer on the blue line. Tomas Holmstrom is gone. Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg are getting older. They have a lot of young, new faces on the roster. And through it all, Mike Babcock still has that team humming along like a machine. The health of goaltender Jimmy Howard will obviously play a big role in what they are able to do this season, but that might be a team to really watch for if he can stay healthy.

Edited by Dabura

His untouchable list or the one some fans have that include virtually every kid who has a legit shot of being an NHL player?