• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TheDetroitRedWings

Abby Out 2 Weeks with partially separated shoulder

Rate this topic

I remember someone on here saying Callihan would get a shot in Detroit by December. Id like to see what he could with the big club.

WARNING!!
Waivers Required

Mitchell Callahan's waiver exemption of 4 year(s) and 143 career NHL regular season and playoff game(s) has ended. He has been credited with 4 year(s) and 1 career game(s). Please see notes above for scenarios where the player could be waiver exempt, such as if he already cleared waivers during the 2014-15 season.

Follow Us @capgeek
I'd love to see Callahan up with the team, but that's not going to happen unless there's a roster spot for him. Can't imagine that we'd want to expose him to waivers when he needed to go back down.
Andersson and Cleary are definitely in the way for any other forward call-ups, and as much as I'd like to see Cally up... not any time soon unfortunately.

I wish we would call up Callahan, and once Abdelkader is ready to come back, assuming everyone else is healthy, send Andersson down or trade him for a late round draft pick. Callahan has put in his time, and is still racking up points down in Grand Rapids. He is a definite upgrade over Andersson, and our 4th line would be much better with Callahan's speed, tenacity, grit, fore-checking, scoring touch, nose for the net... all things Andersson lacks.

Andersson is utterly useless. Get rid of him. Trade or waive him, I really don't care, just get him off the roster. Like I mentioned a couple weeks ago and was also being discussed in another thread by Jesusberg and number9, Andersson is our Emmerton of a couple years ago. Useless, but just filling a roster spot. Andersson will either be on a bottom feeder team or back in Sweden in a year or two, he has no place in this lineup...

Cally would be a better fit for an Abby replacement, but as you said he would be subject to waivers again. as much as I agree with taking the risk of losing Andy I think Cally is too important to the wings and the GR sitting in the press box as a healthy scratch.

I think Cleary will do fine in Abbys replacement.

Did anyone else cringe when Ken Daniels said Abby is having a career year and should pass his all time high in goals, Immediately thought "ohh gezz this jinx is going make him go cold or worse an injury"

Andersson is utterly useless. Get rid of him. Trade or waive him, I really don't care, just get him off the roster. Like I mentioned a couple weeks ago and was also being discussed in another thread by Jesusberg and number9, Andersson is our Emmerton of a couple years ago. Useless, but just filling a roster spot. Andersson will either be on a bottom feeder team or back in Sweden in a year or two, he has no place in this lineup...

I agree to an extent, he's solid on the pk, and not a bad fourth liner, so not useless.

But I would be fine if we waived him.

Cally is exactly the type of 4th liner that we need. Can score. Can grind. Tenacious. Hard-working.

Andersson can't score and it'd be nice to see more scoring from our 4th line.

Jurco's been better on the 4th than Andersson.

He shouldn't have to play there, but still made better use of that time than Andersson has.

I'd love to see Callahan up with the team, but that's not going to happen unless there's a roster spot for him. Can't imagine that we'd want to expose him to waivers when he needed to go back down.

Yep. Calling up Callahan and potentially losing him in a few weeks would just be a completely Nestra"silly" move by Holland.

This was tweeted by Ansar earlier. And I also ready somewhere that Abby's injury is somewhat minor and that the two week report isn't true. He could be back by the weekend.

Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive · 4h 4 hours ago

Ken Holland on Justin Abdelkader's shoulder injury: "He is day to day. He has a low level injury so we'll see how fast he heals."

This was tweeted by Ansar earlier. And I also ready somewhere that Abby's injury is somewhat minor and that the two week report isn't true. He could be back by the weekend.

Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive · 4h 4 hours ago

Ken Holland on Justin Abdelkader's shoulder injury: "He is day to day. He has a low level injury so we'll see how fast he heals."

You obviously don't follow the wings, day to day in Detroit means 2 months

Yes, I do follow the Wings. I follow almost every Twitter account I can that has anything to do on the Wings. I'm just going on what is reported. Ken Holland confirmed he is day to day so other than that it's just speculation.

Yes, I do follow the Wings. I follow almost every Twitter account I can that has anything to do on the Wings. I'm just going on what is reported. Ken Holland confirmed he is day to day so other than that it's just speculation.

You definitely don't follow the wings.

If you do, what kind of binoculars do you use?

You definitely don't follow the wings.

If you do, what kind of binoculars do you use?

oh sarcasm, you silly fool... how you evade us so... i can't even spy you with my binoculars.

I think that once a player clears he can be recalled and sent down without having to clear again if he is up for less than 10 games or 30 days.

So that'd be great for recalling XO, but if you want to bring up Callahan... it's a different story.

It's that initial offering that I think we'd lose him.

Unless of course we're all overvaluing our prospects as any fanboy/grrl tends to do.

...but of course most of us undervalued Nestrasil and he got claimed. So, there's that to chew on.

oh sarcasm, you silly fool... how you evade us so... i can't even spy you with my binoculars.

So that'd be great for recalling XO, but if you want to bring up Callahan... it's a different story.

Unless of course we're all overvaluing our prospects as any fanboy/grrl tends to do.

...but of course most of us undervalued Nestrasil and he got claimed. So, there's that to chew on.

The league loves our prospects.

They do stuff the right way.

Guest DeGraa55

But he did go unclaimed once all ready.

So maybe even holland valued him and Ferraro less by waiving them before nestrasil?

The league loves our prospects.

They do stuff the right way.

That's because we lose so many of our coaches, assistant GMs, etc to other teams.. there are several teams out there that know what we've got first hand/who's worth taking and who isn't. For example, the canes claimed nestrasil.. Carolina's coach, Bill Peters, is Detroit's old assistant coach.

But he did go unclaimed once all ready.

So maybe even holland valued him and Ferraro less by waiving them before nestrasil?

He went unclaimed at the beginning of the season when rosters were being trimmed, teams were figuring out what they had, etc. Now other teams know what they have, what they need and that Mitch Callahan is a realgud player -- with 7 goals 8 assists at the AHL level for a guy that's slated to have limited offensive upside at the pro-level, but is already a good grinder/agitator.

Do wish Nestrasil had maybe cleared, of course. ...but the guy has 1 goal and 1 assist in 5GP with Carolina, averaging aprox. 3-4 minutes more ice time per game than he did here in DET, where he had an assist and no goals over 13GP. Not to knock his talent level, but even a blind dog finds a bone occasionally.

...but I really don't want to delve into what Holland thinks or how he values players, but in my estimation he's obviously doing something right.

Also, add in the fact that since October 8th there have been significant number of injuries to most teams around the league, increasing the likelihood that a player goes unclaimed on waivers. If Nestrasil were placed on waivers at the beginning of the season, he would be in Grand Rapids right now. Likewise, if Callahan were placed on waivers last week, he would be in Carolina (or another NHL team) right now. I'm just happy that we lost Nestrasil and not Callahan....

Edited by krsmith17

I was making a joke based on the fact every time they say day to day it ends up being weeks or months.

Also, add in the fact that since October 8th there have been significant number of injuries to most teams around the league, increasing the likelihood that a player goes unclaimed on waivers. If Nestrasil were placed on waivers at the beginning of the season, he would be in Grand Rapids right now. Likewise, if Callahan were placed on waivers last week, he would be in Carolina (or another NHL team) right now. I'm just happy that we lost Nestrasil and not Callahan....

NEVER FORGET MATTIAS RITOLA!!!!!

Edited by e_prime