• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingsallTheway

Alfredsson Set to Sign 1-day Contract with Senators

Rate this topic

Very classy move by the Sens. Does anyone else feel the same I do? Wake up Mr. Illitch and Ken Holland! Bring Fedorov home for a day so he can officially retire a Red Wing! Prove to the everyone that you are the Class of the NHL! Fedorov is the BEST Russian to ever grace the NHL, he is easily top 3 Red Wings of all time. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I just think that the Wings should do the same for Fedorov.

Congrats Alfie on a great career, thank you for allowing us to have you for a year, but thank you for not taking up a roster spot from one of our kids, especially if you weren't 100%. Thank you for not being greedy!

(on a side note, along with Feds being brought HOME for a day, I would love to see the Wings "retire" Bob Probert and Shawn Burr from the NHL in a nice ceremony.)

Very classy move by the Sens. Does anyone else feel the same I do? Wake up Mr. Illitch and Ken Holland! Bring Fedorov home for a day so he can officially retire a Red Wing! Prove to the everyone that you are the Class of the NHL! Fedorov is the BEST Russian to ever grace the NHL, he is easily top 3 Red Wings of all time. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I just think that the Wings should do the same for Fedorov.

Congrats Alfie on a great career, thank you for allowing us to have you for a year, but thank you for not taking up a roster spot from one of our kids, especially if you weren't 100%. Thank you for not being greedy!

(on a side note, along with Feds being brought HOME for a day, I would love to see the Wings "retire" Bob Probert and Shawn Burr from the NHL in a nice ceremony.)

I've never understood the idea of signing just for one day so you can retire with your old team. Does anyone even remember whether a particular athlete did this gesture or not?

I sure as hell don't. Seems rather pointless.

It's just so that said player can wear the jersey and skate officially with the team one more time and retire while under contract with the team that he spent so many years with. Classy move by the Sens, the Bruins did it for Ray Bourque as well. I don't recall if Gretzky went back to the Oilers for a day or not, but it would be a grand move for Detroit to honor Fedorov that way. He is already HoF bound, why not let him retire a Wing and complete his circle.

It's just so that said player can wear the jersey and skate officially with the team one more time and retire while under contract with the team that he spent so many years with. Classy move by the Sens, the Bruins did it for Ray Bourque as well. I don't recall if Gretzky went back to the Oilers for a day or not, but it would be a grand move for Detroit to honor Fedorov that way. He is already HoF bound, why not let him retire a Wing and complete his circle.

I don't think it's for the player at all and entirely for the fans.

Call it a sense of closure for them if you will...

Hasn't Fedorov already officially retired? I thought players had to file papers and such. If so, he would have to un-retire and then re-retire ... all for a virtually pointless gesture as GMRwings stated earlier.

Wake up Mr. Illitch and Ken Holland! Bring Fedorov home for a day so he can officially retire a Red Wing! Prove to the everyone that you are the Class of the NHL! Fedorov is the BEST Russian to ever grace the NHL, he is easily top 3 Red Wings of all time. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I just think that the Wings should do the same for Fedorov.

and some knuckleheads will boo him ...LOL

I wouldn't remember Fedorov any differently if he signed with the Wings for one day and then retired. Didn't he play in the Winter Classic last year in a Wings jersey also?

Now if he had come back to Detroit for a final season, that would have been a different story and maybe would have brought closure and a new chapter. But one game just for the fans (or in this case, not even a game), it just doesn't make sense.

To me, Alfie retired as a Wing, but everyone will remember him as a Senator. Regardless of this whole story.

I have so much respect for Alfie, the guy doesn't hang on like Marty or Jaromir he actually listens to his body.

Jagr scored 24-43-67 last year. I'm pretty sure his body is telling him to put the puck in the net and the check in the bank. Good call, Jaromir.

I have so much respect for players who play as long as they want not how long "fans" think they should play.

I have so much respect for Alfie, the guy doesn't hang on like Marty or Jaromir he actually listens to his body.

If Stevie listened to his body we wouldn't have the 02 cup or his final 3-4 years. I don't have any less respect for Broduer or Jagr if they want to keep playing the game they love and teams are willing to sign them. Maybe less respect for the GMs who offer them contracts (i.e. Holland and Cleary). Now if players were playing while putting their life in jeopardy that's another story. Fortunately that doesn't seem to happen in this day and age.

Edited by Number19