• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwingsfan83

Jimmy sucks in a shootout Howard

Rate this topic

I've always wondered if you could track down the Guiness Book of World Records fattest man, strap some pads on him, and just literally plug up the entire net with him. Is there a rule in the NHL rule book about this? Are there weight parameters that say "If the goalie is large enough that there is no longer an opening to the net, he cannot play in the NHL?". It surely would solve our shootout issues if there was no entrance to the net at all.

If we can keep this thread respectful and on point about Howard's performance in shootouts, and his percentages indeed being among the lowest, it may continue. Let's keep it friendly, it is the holiday season after all.

:D

They did this on sports science.

Detroit Red WingsVerified account
‏@DetroitRedWings
Petr's dialed in and ready to go for our @flagstar Twitterview! Tweet us your questions using #AskMrazek

The second question asked to Petr....

Greg ‏@gg72727 20s20 seconds ago
@DetroitRedWings @flagstar how are you on shootouts?

Awesome!

They did this on sports science.

No way that Sumo guy is fat enough to actually test a huge fat guy in net. I guess nobody is shaped like a sideways rectangle so the real quest is in the gaps that are open will the horribly slow reflexes be enough to cover those small spaces and how often against good defenses can a shooter hit a small window over and over for a good percentage?

Ya but his bad pass save% is almost perfect

I've still been waiting for someone to explain to me how it's totally acceptable to call out Ericsson for a giveaway that led to a goal, but if anybody brings up Howard doing the same thing they're just a "hater/basher".

I'm pretty sure it was the same game too. Ericsson in the 1st period, Howie later in the same game.

Then of course there is this article about the quality of Jimmy Howard's starts: http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2014/8/28/6068191/red-wings-goaltending-analysis-jimmy-howard-quality-starts

One of the stats....Really Bad Starts!

I'm sure you guys will head over there and tell them how it's all bulls*** cuz it's just a made up stat and all...

Anyway, anybody wanna answer my question? I'd seriously love to have an answer.

It's ok to bring up a bad play, but to keep track of that as just more useless ammunition against him was more torches and pitchforks than constructive. If you had continued to do so you'd have likely found that it had not contributed the GAA in any significant amount. I believe that was the criticism, people were just piling on Howard in an unwarranted fashion.

I tried to look this up a few weeks ago, but I couldn't find it so this is more of my thought that I can't back up. It's my understanding that Jimmy has faced a lot of penalty shots in his career, much more than average. Like I said, I couldn't find the stats for it but I thought he was pretty good against PS, just not SO. If so, what gives?

I've still been waiting for someone to explain to me how it's totally acceptable to call out Ericsson for a giveaway that led to a goal, but if anybody brings up Howard doing the same thing they're just a "hater/basher".

So what's Jimmy's bad pass save % sitting at now?

I'm pretty sure it was the same game too. Ericsson in the 1st period, Howie later in the same game.

Then of course there is this article about the quality of Jimmy Howard's starts: http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2014/8/28/6068191/red-wings-goaltending-analysis-jimmy-howard-quality-starts

One of the stats....Really Bad Starts!

I'm sure you guys will head over there and tell them how it's all bulls*** cuz it's just a made up stat and all...

Anyway, anybody wanna answer my question? I'd seriously love to have an answer.

Of course its totally acceptable to call out anyone who gives the puck away and it leads to a goal. Everyone does it reguarly in the GDT, including when Howard does it. Hell, this whole thread was made to bash Howard in the shootout and here we all are. As far as I'm aware, nobody ever bashed on you or your posts for doing that. What people disagree with is relying on a "statistic" that is entirely subjective as an objective way to rate a goalie, especially when its clear that you're not interested in comparing him to the rest of the league, but rather trying to paint him in a bad light. "Bad pass" was never defined, neither were a handful of other statistics that you came up with. Who decides what pass is considered "bad" or not? You? And even if you came to some objective way to quantify a bad pass goal, there exists absolutely zero data on any other goaltender in the history of the NHL in these statistical categoreis, so any values that are obtained, whether objective or otherwise, still have no value because there's no way to define what's considered an acceptable range/poor range for bad pass goals or whatever else you were looking at. Maybe Howard actually has the best bad pass goals against in the league. But all you were interested in was counting how many times he let those goals in, and not determining how that value compared to other goalies. As for the next part of your post, wherein you bring up "really bad starts" from that website: Its a s***ty name for a statistic (and it also made me lol), but in the website they clearly quantify "really bad start" as "A performance where the goaltender failed to attain even an .850 save percentage." That's objective. Under their definition, nobody can argue whether Howard has a "really bad start" or not. The author of that post is also using his statistics to compare different starts of Howard throughout a season/career and then coming up with a conclusion after the values have been analyzed. What he didn't do is come to his conclusion first, then make up stats to try to support his predetermined conclusion.

ANYWAY I think Howard's problem is just as psychological as the rest of the Wings at this point. They all expect to lose, and teams that verse us in the SO expect to win. And it shows in their body language. We aren't seeing those creative dekes (or any dekes), and everyone is more comfortable just shooting the puck. I'm not a goalie so I don't know how to read a goalie's body language as well, but I imagine that Howard isn't playing the shootout with a lot of confidence right now. Maybe that means he's playing too tight to the net, or he's trying to react instead of predict too much, or vice versa. All I know is that he hasn't always been this poor.

Every time we go to the shootout with Howie I expect to lose...

I hate the shootout regardless and wish it was eliminated. Bring back ties, or make a win in regulation worth 3 points! That's neither here nor there/

I would have brought Mrazek off the bench for sure.

Sucks losing a game we dominated... but we dominated and that's important. Still have best record in East

I think regulation wins should be 4 points where in overtime the winner gets 3 and the loser 2 then for the shootout the winner gets 2 and the loser 1. More motivation to finish the game before the shootout

Not that Jimmy has been great in shootout situations. But the thread title should really be, "Red sucks in a shootout Wings." Cause it's most certainly not all on Jimmy.

Absolutely true. Howard may indeed suck in the shootout, but so do out shooters. The Wings are just not a good shootout team. It doesn't bother me at all though. I'm sick of the shootout. Bring on 4 on 4/3 on 3 overtimes before going to the shootout if you have to keep it around. That sounds infinitely more exciting and likely to yield more satisfying hockey results.

Am I the only one who thinks that a.) the sample size is much to small to have reliable stats and b.) that shootouts are more or less coin flips and therefore the whole discussion about how Howard or the team sucks in shootouts is pretty much pointless ?

Am I the only one who thinks that a.) the sample size is much to small to have reliable stats and b.) that shootouts are more or less coin flips and therefore the whole discussion about how Howard or the team sucks in shootouts is pretty much pointless ?

I agree. Also, without accounting for variables, shoot outs are much more difficult for the goalie. He has to 1. Challenge the shooter 2. Keep his head and chest square to the puck 3. Retreat while matching the shooter's speed 4. Anticipate from where he is going to shoot 5. Anticipate where he is going to shoot 6 anticipate when he is going to shoot. 7. Act accordingly.

Then you have to account for variables: each player's skill, each player's mental fortitude, each team's recent shoot out success, each players recent shoot out success, handedness of the respective players, etc.

Edited by The Greek

Last I checked there were no shootouts in the playoffs. /thread

No but there are breakaways and being good in the shootouts can give us an easier ride in the playoffs with home ice advantage. Playing it off as completely unimportant is just stupid.

Guest DeGraa55

I got a question. Whats his shootout save percent compared to penalty shot save percent?

No but there are breakaways and being good in the shootouts can give us an easier ride in the playoffs with home ice advantage. Playing it off as completely unimportant is just stupid.

Howie has always been fine on breakaways. They aren't the same as shootouts. Shooters don't have enough time to plan what they wanna do with a dman on their tail.

Also, the team controls their own fate with where they are in the standings. Depending on shootout points for a good playoff seed is just stupid.