• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwingsfan83

Jimmy sucks in a shootout Howard

Rate this topic

Obviously it's because Howard is average.

Howard and this defense gave up 0 goals in 65 mins because they clearly suck.

Offense couldnt score one goal...

Bobrovski and their defense also gave up 0 goals in 65 min. They were in the same position the Wings were, yet they managed to win the game.

Did you see the stats before the shootout began. Howard 9 goals on 12 Shots. Bobrovski 2 goals on 14 shots.

I get that not scoring doesn't help win the game, but it doesn't have any effect on the goalie saving a shot at the opposite end (and of course a goalie not making saves at one end doesn't have any effect on the shooters at the other end).

Edited by roboturner

Guest DeGraa55

Bobrovski and their defense also gave up 0 goals in 65 min. They were in the same position the Wings were, yet they managed to win the game.

Did you see the stats before the shootout began. Howard 9 goals on 12 Shots. Bobrovski 2 goals on 14 shots.

I get that not scoring doesn't help win the game, but it doesn't have any effect on the goalie saving a shot at the opposite end (and of course a goalie not making saves at one end doesn't have any effect on the shooters at the other end).

Why are people acting surprised? Howard sucks in two areas. Shootout and handling the puck. So when he fails at one everyone is like OMG LOOK BLAH BKAH BLAH. He is not elite because of these two things. But he is and will continue to be A VERY GOOD GOALTENDER.

The team just needs to score 1 more goal before the shootout starts. Great teams shoukd be able to overcome this weakness.

Ideally we wouln't be going into shootouts because we already won, but that just isn't realistic. Every team ends up in shootous every now and then and you have to perform when you do. Like I said, BJ's were in the exact same postion the Wings were in....

Didn't the BJ's win most of their recent games in the shootout? Why? Because their goalie is stopping the other team.

Even if the Wings scored 2 outta 3 every shootout, Howard isn't going to be able to stop 2 outta 3. And even if he does (the shooters and howard both go 2/3), it keeps going. He proabably isn't going to keep it up in extra rounds.

Edited by roboturner

I understand that Jimmy has been awful in the shootout, but this is still a two-part problem. Typically, you won't win in a shootout while scoring only once no matter who is in net...that is unless you're playing the Red Wings, but in that case you would score more than once... :blink:

Edited by PaZel

I blame Babs for putting the same predictable shooters out there as much as Howard for not stopping shots. At this point, Pav is the only reliable shootout performer.

We use to have guys who could bury shootout goals, hudler and Bert come to mind. No we've got a lot of skilled guys who forget how to play hockey when the shootout comes around (Howard included obviously)

"What I don't like is Howie stood on his head and leaves the rink feeling like he didn't win," Babcock said. "They don't have a home run derby at the end of a tied ballgame. It doesn't make any sense."

Boo hoo.

Isn't this the same guy who always talks about not making excuses, and only worrying about things you can control?

This whole organization is on a crusade against the shootout. And the funny part is, the more the GM and coach ***** about it and fight against it, the worse we do. If you guys recall, we used to be fairly decent in the shootout.

"What I don't like is Howie stood on his head and leaves the rink feeling like he didn't win," Babcock said. "They don't have a home run derby at the end of a tied ballgame. It doesn't make any sense."

Boo hoo.

Isn't this the same guy who always talks about not making excuses, and only worrying about things you can control?

This whole organization is on a crusade against the shootout. And the funny part is, the more the GM and coach ***** about it and fight against it, the worse we do. If you guys recall, we used to be fairly decent in the shootout.

Agreed.

While I agree with Babcock's sentiment, especially given how well Jimmy played during actual hockey, the reality is that the NHL does have the equivalent of a home run derby deciding games. The Wings have been terrible at it, and it's costing them points. Suck it up.

As for the Wings being fairly decent at it in the past. They've lost a lot of the guys who could actually score, like Bertuzzi. Howard is a problem. But man o man they don't score much either.

I've said this before but I'm a little surprised that the younger guys aren't better at it. Seems like by sheer percentages the Wings should have a few cocky euros who know all sorts of ridiculous shootout tricks they practiced growing up. :D

Wouldn't it make a little more sense to 'gamble' a bit during overtime to try and end the game before shootout given their poor shootout record. If the D gets caught pinching and they give up an odd man rush and loose in OT is it really a big deal? The biggest disadvantage is that it will go as a Win rather than a Shootout Win in the standings for the opposition, but I'd roll the dice and take a lot of chances in OT. There were a few occasions last night where the D went for a change rather than join the rush. I distinctly recall Oullett doing that last night in OT.

Wouldn't it make a little more sense to 'gamble' a bit during overtime to try and end the game before shootout given their poor shootout record. If the D gets caught pinching and they give up an odd man rush and loose in OT is it really a big deal? The biggest disadvantage is that it will go as a Win rather than a Shootout Win in the standings for the opposition, but I'd roll the dice and take a lot of chances in OT. There were a few occasions last night where the D went for a change rather than join the rush. I distinctly recall Oullett doing that last night in OT.

Well and to add to that most teams I'm sure if that make it to OT with us would be leaning more towards trying to make it to a shootout with us rather than try to give up anything in the OT. So teams will play more defensively in OT than trying to REALLY score. Not that they wont try and all but you know they think about that. "Why try hard in OT when it would be a 50/50 shot to win, when we can take it to a shootout and have more like a 90/10 chance to win"

I agree that Jimmy hasn't been great in shootouts but the couple shootouts I've seen have all been pretty nice goals.. I think I'm on the side of scoring is a bigger problem.

Think we need to mix up who's shooting.

I'd like to see jurco get a shot over Z.

Nyq, pav, jurco.. Hell, give sheahan a shot. Maybe even Weiss when he's healthy.

I just hope babs is spending some time letting them practice shootouts even tho he's against it. If it's costing us points, it's worth practicing imo.

Guest DeGraa55

Thank goodness there is no shootout in the playoffs! Hopefully this gimmick way of deciding games will be a thing of the past next season

Shootouts are never going away. There won't be ties or the potential to have four OT game sin the regular season.

The 3 on 3 is actually a good possibility before the shootout though. They've been doing it in the ahl.

Howard needs to stop a few pucks for sure, but he definitely isn't the whole problem. Jimmy is 4/15 (0.266%) which is awful but the players are 4/19 (0.210%) which is even worse. Pav and Gus are the only two that have scored so far this season in the skills competition. Mrazek, who is a perfect 3/3 (1.000%) in the only shootout he has been in, is an option to throw in cold, but we know that would never happen. I just think Jimmy needs to bear down and Babcock needs to throw out a random group of players next time around. I'd almost prefer to see Glendening, Miller and Quincey at this point. No goalie would have a clue what to expect and that's honestly what I believe is half the problem with our players of late. Every team reviews tape of their opposition prior to the game and our guys all have their one or two go-to moves. They're too damn predictable.

Nyquist tries the same forehand, backhand, slide it through the fivehole deke, granted it has worked a couple times but when the goalie is anticipating that one move every time, it becomes a lot harder to pull it off. Tatar, I wouldn't say is predictable because I'm pretty sure no one in the building has any idea what he's going to do including himself, and he usually dekes himself out, gets in too tight to the goalie and loses the puck before getting a shot off. Even Datsyuk has become predictable with one of his two backhand, forehand or forehand backhand dekes, but even though the goalie knows exactly what he is going to do he can sometimes still pull it off because he is that good.

Anyway, we better start finding a way to get the extra point in some of these breakaway competitions or it will end up costing us come playoff time.

Pull the goalie in ot. Have a little powerplay. Couldn't be worse than what's going on.

I read somewhere,If you are scored on in ot with the goalie pulled you forfeit the single point for the tie.

link

84.2 Overtime – Regular-season – Extra Attacker - A team shall be allowed to pull its goalkeeper in favor of an additional skater in the overtime period. However, should that team lose the game during the time in which the goalkeeper has been removed, it would forfeit the automatic point gained in the tie at the end of regulation play, except if the goalkeeper has been removed at the call of a delayed penalty against the other team. Should the goalkeeper proceed to his bench for an extra attacker due to a delayed penalty call against the opposing team, and should the non-offending team shoot the puck directly into their own goal, the game shall be over and the team that was to be penalized declared the winner.

Once the goalkeeper has been removed for an extra attacker in overtime during the regular-season, he must wait for the next stoppage of play before returning to his position. He cannot change “on the fly.” If he does, a bench minor penalty shall be assessed for having an ineligible player.

Edited by Smite