• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Wing

Vaya con dios Damien Brunner

Rate this topic

Brunnner was his own worst enemy though. If he would been on detroit a third line he would still be in the nhl.

But his terrible attitude and lack of defense(a reason why the wings most likely didn't care if he stayed it not...specially since Tatar is doing what Brunnner did just better).

I didn't notice or hear anything to suggest he had a terrible attitude. To me it looked like he really enjoyed being a Red Wing, and I was happy to have him while he was here. Pretty sure he just thought he was worth more than he actually was.

I didn't notice or hear anything to suggest he had a terrible attitude. To me it looked like he really enjoyed being a Red Wing, and I was happy to have him while he was here. Pretty sure he just thought he was worth more than he actually was.

I don't think it really came up until he was in New Jersey. PDB obviously thought Damiens game needed some polish. Instead Brunner would keep playing the same game, get benched/demoted/scratched, then whine to the media about how he felt he needed 18+ minutes a game to "get comfortable". Clearly his attitude isn't great. He's pretty much scrapped any chance at an NHL career, because he didn't want to go the AHL. Had he reported, he might have finally learned how to play hockey in North America. If so, then a team might have eventually had an opening and might've take him off Lou's hands. Edited by DSM

I don't think it really came up until he was in New Jersey. PDB obviously thought Damiens game needed some polish. Instead Brunner would keep playing the same game, then whine to the media about how he felt he needed 18+ minutes a game to "get comfortable". Clearly his attitude isn't great. He's pretty much scrapped any chance at an NHL career, because he didn't want to go the AHL. Had he reported, he might have finally learned how to play hockey in North America. If so, then a team might have eventually had an opening and might've take him off Lou's hands.

I can't speak for how he acted in NJ. Degraa suggested the Wings passed on him over his terrible attitude, and I don't see that being the case at all. He wanted a payday and the Wings (along with a lot of other teams) said no. That's just business.

I can't speak for how he acted in NJ. Degraa suggested the Wings passed on him over his terrible attitude, and I don't see that being the case at all. He wanted a payday and the Wings (along with a lot of other teams) said no. That's just business.

I read some articles on NJ.com (the Devils Mlive.com) about the subject that had some interviews about the topic.

I agree on his departure from Detroit though. Holland didn't want to overpay for a player that was still rather unknown. I don't blame him, and I don't blame Brunner for trying to cash in. I'm just happy now that his departure opened a spot for a whole bunch of young forwards who are clearly more useful players.

I read some articles on NJ.com (the Devils Mlive.com) about the subject that had some interviews about the topic.

I agree on his departure from Detroit though. Holland didn't want to overpay for a player that was still rather unknown. I don't blame him, and I don't blame Brunner for trying to cash in. I'm just happy now that his departure opened a spot for a whole bunch of young forwards who are clearly more useful players.

Certainly, I'm glad Holland was smart enough not to get stuck with him

Guest DeGraa55

You don't think his deal with wanting GURANTEED top six minutes and not having to earn is a terrible attitude?

I mean maybe terrible would be the wrong word to use? Maybe it's he had a bad attitude in a couple issues.

Edited by DeGraa55

I tried to collect some perspective from Devils fans and words like "floater", "lazy" and "bad penalties" came up frequently.

What I find ironic is that the Devis kept Tootoo over Brunner. Can you imagine what people would be saying on here if Holland did that?

You don't think his deal with wanting GURANTEED top six minutes and not having to earn is a terrible attitude?

I mean maybe terrible would be the wrong word to use? Maybe it's he had a bad attitude in a couple issues.

No I don't. He wanted to play top 6 minutes and get top 6 money. But Holland kindly said no and let him walk. Happens all the time.

So he took his talents to free agency to see if he could get that somewhere else, and he eventually hammered out a deal with the Devils. By your standards Filppula had a bad attitude when he was here.

No I don't. He wanted to play top 6 minutes and get top 6 money. But Holland kindly said no and let him walk. Happens all the time.

So he took his talents to free agency to see if he could get that somewhere else, and he eventually hammered out a deal with the Devils. By your standards Filppula had a bad attitude when he was here.

Agreed number9. A Professional athlete having confidence in his abilities and wanting an opportunity where he can showcase his skill set is not a bad attitude. If he was signed to a contract, then refused to play on the third line, that would be a bad attitude.

You can argue Brunner lacked self awareness in his abilities, but nothing he did screamed bad attitude to me. He simply chose to leave to go to another team, something thousands of UFA's have done in the past, and will continue to do in the future.

Guest DeGraa55

The difference to me is fil actually earned the chance to be in the top 6.

I guess we can agree to disagree. But to me just wanting a GURANTEED top six spot without earning it is a bad or cocky attitude.

Now I'm not saying that's always a bad thing. I mean look at Tatar. I'd say he has a cocky attitude as well. I have NO PROBLEM with players having that attitude as long as they can back it up.

The difference to me is fil actually earned the chance to be in the top 6.

I guess we can agree to disagree. But to me just wanting a GURANTEED top six spot without earning it is a bad or cocky attitude.

Now I'm not saying that's always a bad thing. I mean look at Tatar. I'd say he has a cocky attitude as well. I have NO PROBLEM with players having that attitude as long as they can back it up.

Filppula had 17 points in 41 games during his last season in Detroit. Brunner had 26 in 44.

Neither of them earned a spot in our top 6, hence why both were not offered the contract they wanted. There is almost zero difference in both scenarios, yet you somehow have a problem with Damien Brunner time in Detorit and CAPITALIZE random words as if that somehow validates your point.

Did Danny Dekeyser have a bad attitude too? He demanded a roster spot before ever playing a single NHL game with Detroit.

Guest DeGraa55

Filppula had 17 points in 41 games during his last season in Detroit. Brunner had 26 in 44.

Neither of them earned a spot in our top 6, hence why both were not offered the contract they wanted. There is almost zero difference in both scenarios, yet you somehow have a problem with Damien Brunner time in Detorit and CAPITALIZE random words as if that somehow validates your point.

Did Danny Dekeyser have a bad attitude too? He demanded a roster spot before ever playing a single NHL game with Detroit.

Fil also excelled in the top six the year before playing on Z'swing.

In the case if dekeyser it's a yes and no answer. He didn't "earn it" by working way up through minors for a team. But essentially earned it byte wings saying "hey stay in school one more year and we will sign you to a roster spot".

Fil also excelled in the top six the year before playing on Z'swing.

In the case if dekeyser it's a yes and no answer. He didn't "earn it" by working way up through minors for a team. But essentially earned it byte wings saying "hey stay in school one more year and we will sign you to a roster spot".

So what? Brunner excelled on Z's wing with Zug, just like Dekeyser excelled at western without any Wings. Filppula flopped in a contract year and then wanted a "GUARANTEED" big top 6 contract. Again, there is almost zero difference in both scenarios, yet you're clinging to this self-fabricated idea that Brunner had a bad-attitude while in Detroit. Why?

Guest DeGraa55

So what? Brunner excelled on Z's wing with Zug, just like Dekeyser excelled at western without any Wings. Filppula flopped in a contract year and then wanted a "GUARANTEED" big top 6 contract. Again, there is almost zero difference in both scenarios, yet you're clinging to this self-fabricated idea that Brunner had a bad-attitude while in Detroit. Why?

You just answered your own question.

WTF are you talking about?

Filppula was consistently given a place on the second line, even when he played like crap.

He was also offered 5 years $25 mil from the Wings and chose to sign in TB instead according to all the reports I read.

Brunner was given a chance to play in the top 6 from day 1 of camp. He ended up being moved to a line with the 2 rookies after not performing in all the areas of the rink like Babcock expects his top forwards to do.

I never read one word about Dekeyser demanding a spot on the Wings roster.

WTF are you talking about?

Filppula was consistently given a place on the second line, even when he played like crap.

He was also offered 5 years $25 mil from the Wings and chose to sign in TB instead according to all the reports I read.

Brunner was given a chance to play in the top 6 from day 1 of camp. He ended up being moved to a line with the 2 rookies after not performing in all the areas of the rink like Babcock expects his top forwards to do.

I never read one word about Dekeyser demanding a spot on the Wings roster.

I think you need to go reread those.

Both wanted more money than the Red Wings would give them. That's it. If you want to argue semantics go ahead. Wanting to get the most money you can has nothing to do with attitude.

I wish all the best to Brunner. He was decent guy while he was here in Detroit. I can't speak for his time in NJ.

I'm not sure what the argument here is. Damien Brunner didn't have a bad attitude in Detroit. On the contrary, many of the articles and interviews about him talked about his good attitude, constant smile, and generally jovial attitude.

He left because he wanted more money than he was worth. Not because he was some kind of *******.

Local newspaper here wrote today that Brunner signed a 4 year contract worth 1 million Francs a season ( little more than 1 million dollars per year)

He has become the highest paid player in the league (of all times). not bad for a 50 game season

Lugano signed him because the coach is Patrick Fischer, who used to play with him in Zug. Lugano is also the team who could or wanted to afford this contract.

he does have an exit clause in case the NHL calls again...

Edited by Spongewingredpants