• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Playmaker

NHL Mumps Outbreak

Rate this topic

Guest Playmaker

The medical staff really dropped the ball on this one. That he was allowed to participate in practice and interact with the media with the obvious symptoms he had is really unbelievable.

The medical staff really dropped the ball on this one. That he was allowed to participate in practice and interact with the media with the obvious symptoms he had is really unbelievable.

It truly is. I tried to post a pic someone tweeted where the side of his face is completely swollen as he's sitting there in the lockerroom talking to reporters, but it was the wrong media type or something and then I just gave up.

You're spreading misinformation, just as those who are against vaccinations do. The Mumps vaccine is only about 85% effective under the best of circumstances. As with the recent Ohio State outbreak, most of those who contracted the disease were vaccinated.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24878591/mumps-continues-spreading-through-nhl-can-it-be-stopped

It seems to me they are awaiting official results. No indication? Other than a swollen parotid gland, not feeling well and a dozen other players who've had it. But besides that........

But the person who originally contracted the mumpsmumps and spread it was unvaccinated. Also the problem with the mumps the average incubation period is 16-18 days. Some going in to get vaccinated could already have it, and not even know.

Guest Playmaker

But the person who originally contracted the mumpsmumps and spread it was unvaccinated. Also the problem with the mumps the average incubation period is 16-18 days. Some going in to get vaccinated could already have it, and not even know.

No, they weren't necessarily. The mumps vaccination does not provide 100% immunity. That's what I think some aren't comprehending. The mumps vaccine runs in the neighborhood 80-85%. So even best case scenario, if 100 people are vaccinated, 15-20 are still going to get it and spread it to those who have also been immunized. Yes, an 100% vaccination rate would likely reduce the incidence, but it isn't going to fully eradicate the disease. Those vaccinated that contract the disease aren't any less contagious. Crosby had the vaccination and a booster less than a year ago. I'm not anti vaccine by any stretch of the imagination, but claiming that this is all due to the anti vaccine movement just isn't true. I'm sure the mods don't want to turn this into a vaccine debate, so that's the end of that part of it for me.

It truly is. I tried to post a pic someone tweeted where the side of his face is completely swollen as he's sitting there in the lockerroom talking to reporters, but it was the wrong media type or something and then I just gave up.

I think it was that photo and the reporters visibly witnessing his appearance are what started the conversation. It kind of seems like the Pens medical staff and management were somewhat oblivious to the entire thing until then. Then it was like uh, he tested negative, but uh, we're going to sit him out 2 games as a precaution, yeah, that's it. False negatives aren't uncommon, but when reporters and the general public can look at him and know right away he looks like has the mumps, but no one in the Pens organization picked up on that?

No, they weren't necessarily. The mumps vaccination does not provide 100% immunity. That's what I think some aren't comprehending. The mumps vaccine runs in the neighborhood 80-85%. So even best case scenario, if 100 people are vaccinated, 15-20 are still going to get it and spread it to those who have also been immunized. Yes, an 100% vaccination rate would likely reduce the incidence, but it isn't going to fully eradicate the disease. Those vaccinated that contract the disease aren't any less contagious. Crosby had the vaccination and a booster less than a year ago. I'm not anti vaccine by any stretch of the imagination, but claiming that this is all due to the anti vaccine movement just isn't true. I'm sure the mods don't want to turn this into a vaccine debate, so that's the end of that part of it for me.

I had originally posted a very long, in depth description of how the virus spreads, how it evolves, and explained how a vaccines success level drops down, but i thought it came out as douchey towards you so I erased it.

I'm not saying its spreading because of the people who didn't get vaccines, but in the explanation of how vaccines work, I showed how antigens and immunogens work and how the virus would mutate within those bodies.

Im not spreading misinformation, and I don't want to type out how all that works again just to show you that... I erased it because I didn't want to be a dick to you.

So can we please just drop it.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

I had originally posted a very long, in depth description of how the virus spreads, how it evolves, and explained how a vaccines success level drops down, but i thought it came out as douchey towards you so I erased it.

I'm not saying its spreading because of the people who didn't get vaccines, but in the explanation of how vaccines work, I showed how antigens and immunogens work and how the virus would mutate within those bodies.

Im not spreading misinformation, and I don't want to type out how all that works again just to show you that... I erased it because I didn't want to be a dick to you.

So can we please just drop it.

Kinda like the medical staff did with the ball? :lol:

That's because your commie country has commie healthcare. I'd rather stand on a pile of mumps riddled children than sacrifice the sacred bond between my money and the multi-national insurance companies who provide ever more expensive, and barely adequate, insurance.

But off that subject.

Sidney Crosby's a chode, am I right?

Dude, you're too damned funny!