• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

12/29 GDT - Red Wings 2 at Bruins 5

Rate this topic

Glendening took 17 faceoffs tonight, second only to Datsyuk who had 24*. Datsyuk was a respectable 50%, Glendening won 70% of his faceoffs. He won 12 and lost 5*.

Glendening only gets offensive zone starts 34% of the time*. That's the least amount of any regular player on the team. So it seems like he's Babcock's guy after Dats to win key faceoffs and maintain possession of the puck, particularly in his own end.

*I've been drinking so I can't be sure these stats are 100% correct

There was a time when Kris Draper was one of the best faceoff men in the league. I don't remember him playing significantly more minutes than the guys doing all the scoring. Bowman would send him out to win important faceoffs too, but that didn't translate into minutes more TOI than your best even strength goal scorer and guys scoring at point per game clips.

yea sorry but Weiss needs to be where he was intended for m being with our 2nd line center helm does not belong anywhere in the top 6 my lines would be this going into NYE

Z Dats Abby

Tats Weiss Goose

Franzen She Jurco

Miller Glendening Helm

Edited by sjr2012

I dont know about all the Babcock is the best coach stuff. The Abby love is ridiculous. No way should Abby EVER see the top 6 or P.P.

He was on Dats line before Dats got injured and Dats wasn't doing anything. Then he got hurt, they moved Abby to Z's line. Then Z was invisible.Dats comes back, not on line with Abby, and Dats is on fire. The guy has NO hands and can not think the game fast enough to play with skilled play makers like Z and Dats.

Abby is a checker and P.K. And why isn't this team ready to play a lot of nights? Don't play a full 60 min. I don't think it's the players fault we don't score many goals. How many goals did team Canada score under Babcock? ( with the greatest players in the world) We can't win many 1-0 or 2-1 games with this horrible defence and mediocre goaltending. NOT saying Babcock is terrible, just not so sure he's as great as everyone says.Very stubborn, and he thinks he's a genius. ( just the vibe i get when i hear him talk)

j.m.h.o.

Happy Holidays all...... Go Wings !!!!!

I dont know about all the Babcock is the best coach stuff. The Abby love is ridiculous. No way should Abby EVER see the top 6 or P.P.

He was on Dats line before Dats got injured and Dats wasn't doing anything. Then he got hurt, they moved Abby to Z's line. Then Z was invisible.Dats comes back, not on line with Abby, and Dats is on fire. The guy has NO hands and can not think the game fast enough to play with skilled play makers like Z and Dats.

Abby is a checker and P.K. And why isn't this team ready to play a lot of nights? Don't play a full 60 min. I don't think it's the players fault we don't score many goals. How many goals did team Canada score under Babcock? ( with the greatest players in the world) We can't win many 1-0 or 2-1 games with this horrible defence and mediocre goaltending. NOT saying Babcock is terrible, just not so sure he's as great as everyone says.Very stubborn, and he thinks he's a genius. ( just the vibe i get when i hear him talk)

j.m.h.o.

Happy Holidays all...... Go Wings !!!!!

Nah, he's the best. The strategy of playing your checkers more than your goal scorers IS genius. Our guys just didn't want it bad enough last night...er...they didn't play heavy enough...er...they didn't play with pace. Whatever the reason, its clearly not the strategy or game plan. If they'd just execute properly the datsyuk line and the glendening line should be enough to beat anyone most nights.

We are so terrible we are within 3 points of the conference lead...

I don't think any reasonable person thinks we are terrible. But I do think that its fair to ask "what's going on" when you get manhandled by a non playoff team who's missing two of its best players. Its a bit of a false dichotomy to act like the choices are either "everything is fine" or else "everything is terrible".

I don't think any reasonable person thinks we are terrible. But I do think that its fair to ask "what's going on" when you get manhandled by a non playoff team who's missing two of its best players. Its a bit of a false dichotomy to act like the choices are either "everything is fine" or else "everything is terrible".

We definitely need to trade for some better players. It's just some people are acting like we're the oilers

Nah, he's the best. The strategy of playing your checkers more than your goal scorers IS genius. Our guys just didn't want it bad enough last night...er...they didn't play heavy enough...er...they didn't play with pace. Whatever the reason, its clearly not the strategy or game plan. If they'd just execute properly the datsyuk line and the glendening line should be enough to beat anyone most nights.

You'll love this.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/its-all-about-work-for-mike-babcock

The Red Wings (19-9-9) yielded season highs in goals and shots (45).

"As a group and as a coaching staff we pride ourselves in preparation and having our team ready," Babcock said. "No good. Leadership group, no good. Individually, no good. Not good enough. No way. It's real simple for me: You're either going to work in the games or you're going to work in practice, but we're going to work. That is unacceptable."

It sounds like they will have an interesting practice Tuesday at Joe Louis Arena as they prepare to host the New Jersey Devils on Wednesday.

"It's like anything; if you're humbled and embarrassed by the way you play you do something about it," Babcock said. "I can tell you I am, because that's ridiculous."

Yep. That's what it is. Our guys weren't working hard enough. Gotta work real hard and get that goals against down, because god knows we are lethal in those close games.

Well that should at least answer anyone's questions about Glendenning and Miller's minutes. They both "work hard" and Babcock loves them.

But we know this already.

I criticize Babs quite a bit for his lines and TOI management, but Abby has been just fine this season. 9 goals, 18 points in 30 games is excellent production.

I think the larger concern is guys like Glendening, Miller, Helm and Franzen receiving better linemates and more chances than Weiss, Tatar and Jurco. Last night was the perfect example. The Wings get down a couple of goals, Helm goes into the top-six and then we barely saw Weiss or Jurco. Franzen has one goal in 15 games and is -13 this season. Weiss and Jurco have made just about any line they have played on better, yet they somehow always find themselves in the non-skilled fourth line role.

I criticize Babs quite a bit for his lines and TOI management, but Abby has been just fine this season. 9 goals, 18 points in 30 games is excellent production.

I think the larger concern is guys like Glendening, Miller, Helm and Franzen receiving better linemates and more chances than Weiss, Tatar and Jurco. Last night was the perfect example. The Wings get down a couple of goals, Helm goes into the top-six and then we barely saw Weiss or Jurco. Franzen has one goal in 15 games and is -13 this season. Weiss and Jurco have made just about any line they have played on better, yet they somehow always find themselves in the non-skilled fourth line role.

Totally agree about Abby. He has been great.

I agree that Weiss and Jurco deserve a better spot in the lineup, but Tats is on the 2nd line and on the 2nd PP so I don't know what more opportunity you mean there. Glendening and Miller are not receiving better linemates than them. They are the non-skilled fourth line that you talk about.

Franzen's been delegated to the 3rd line where he hasn't been in a long time. You don't want him any lower because Franzen would be pretty useless on the 4th line checking role, in my opinion.

Helm's been fine in my opinion. Always has jump while some have disappeared. Doesn't have hands around the net, but drives the play and creates opportunities.

If you look at most analysis of why we've done well this year, most credit a significant amount to our ability to limit shots/chance and our PK. That's Glendening and Miller - they've been really good at what they do - That's why they've played. Especially in a game like last night where we were under seige - you've got to put the ramparts up which means get our defensive guys out there. It's not like our offence was buzzing and begging for more ice time. But we do need a line shakeup to get some offence going.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

There was a time when Kris Draper was one of the best faceoff men in the league. I don't remember him playing significantly more minutes than the guys doing all the scoring. Bowman would send him out to win important faceoffs too, but that didn't translate into minutes more TOI than your best even strength goal scorer and guys scoring at point per game clips.

That's because back then we had elite players on every line.

We are a fine line from losing 9 straight games. Probably didn't deserve a W against Ottawa and needed a miraculous comeback to beat the lowly Sabres. Coupled with the fact we probably just played the worst game of the season. It doesn't have to be all doom and gloom but there is nothing to be optimistic about right now. No reason we can't do what Toronto did last year and play ourselves out of a playoff spot especially considering we are playing some truly dreadful hockey

Apologies for not updating this, wound up having to work a double and didn't get home until after the game was over, I figured by that time updating the GDT with graphics and what not was pointless.

Sorry to drop the ball on my commitment to posting the GDT for this game.

We are a fine line from losing 9 straight games. Probably didn't deserve a W against Ottawa and needed a miraculous comeback to beat the lowly Sabres. Coupled with the fact we probably just played the worst game of the season. It doesn't have to be all doom and gloom but there is nothing to be optimistic about right now. No reason we can't do what Toronto did last year and play ourselves out of a playoff spot especially considering we are playing some truly dreadful hockey

We don't get 40 shots against per game like Toronto does.

Don't worry about it mabus