• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
chaps80

Pens aquire David Perron from Oilers

Rate this topic

I don't know what you mean by saying I have a lot wrapped up in whatever. Not sure what that has to do with anything besides trying to belittle me. My point is, Perron would've made this team better offensively. Period. I do agree though that Babcock would not use him correctly and waste his talent. Which is why I will be happy when/if he goes elsewhere.

I don't know what you mean by saying I have a lot wrapped up in whatever. Not sure what that has to do with anything besides trying to belittle me. My point is, Perron would've made this team better offensively. Period. I do agree though that Babcock would not use him correctly and waste his talent. Which is why I will be happy when/if he goes elsewhere.

If you agree that Babcock wouldn't use him, then why are you so pissed off at Holland for not pursuing him?

Yeah, i think the Pens won this trade. Late first rounder and a spare part who played 10 games this season for a physical winger who has put up close to 60 points in the past. You'd think the Oil could have gotten a bit more for him elsewhere though. Maybe they tried and failed, it is Edmonton.

The Oilers, in a nut shell: drafted Paajarvi in the first round, traded Paajarvi for Perron, traded Perron for a first-round pick.

"I'm so darn glad he let me try it again..."

not pissed off. Disappointed that players that could help this team get moved cheap elsewhere. Holland doesn't make the lines, but surround the team with better talent and there will be no choice but to play the better players. I see what you are saying, but why miss an opportunity to make the team better? Did Scotty worry about where he was going to play Robitaille, Hull, Shanny, Fedorov, et al. No, he had so much talent, all lines were considered dangerous. My point was why not cut some fat and make your team more dangerous from top to bottom?

Edited by LeftWinger

not pissed off. Disappointed that players that could help this team get moved cheap elsewhere. Holland doesn't make the lines, but surround the team with better talent and there will be no choice but to play the better players. I see what you are saying, but why miss an opportunity to make the team better? Did Scotty worry about where he was going to play Robitaille, Hull, Shanny, Fedorov, et al. No, he had so much talent, all lines were considered dangerous. My point was why not cut some fat and make your team more dangerous from top to bottom?

Surely you're not comparing the 2002 team to ANY post cap team? Because I know you're smarter than that. It's a cap world, you can't just acquire players willy nilly. And again, Perron isn't necessarily better. He's not as good as Nyquist and Tatar, who would be his primary competition for top six playing time.

Why the hell would the Wings want David Perron? You guys are acting like we've lost out on some huge need here. Perron is a good player, but he's not some big, goal scoring, power forward. He's an smallish, offensive, skilled player. We've got so many of those that Stephen Weiss is currently playing on the fourth line. We have ZERO need for David Perron, so lets not cry over spilled milk.

He's a right-shot winger in the prime of his career who scored 30 goals for the Oilers. (He got lucky. He'll never score 30 again. But still.) He plays with an edge, likes to agitate, goes to the dirty areas, is a pain in the ass to play against - but he's also skilled enough to be considered a goal-scorer. I'd like him as a gritty complementary winger with good scoring upside. His cap hit's good, he's only signed for one more year past this year, so it wouldn't be a major investment. It'd be a late first-rounder for a guy who could add a dimension to our forward corps that we're somewhat lacking. At the very least, he'd give us some more scoring depth. Basically, I'd take Perron over a kid who's seven years away from playing big, meaningful minutes for the Wings (i.e. the kid we would, and will, take with our first-round pick).

I know - "We should use that first-round pick on a defenseman, not David frickin' Perron." I just have zero faith that that's going to happen. We're not getting Myers, we're not getting Yandle, and we won't move a first for a rental (Green). We're going to sit on the pick, because "there's no hockey store." That makes me a sad panda.

The one thing I "like" about not getting Perron is his hips are a major issue. He might be one big hit away from being borderline useless.

...But we all know he's going to be huge for the Pens, because of course he will.

I think it's not so much Perron himself but more that other Gms are still finding trading partners and ways to get better without getting robed.

At some point the Wings will need to get creative and try to bring in defensive help. Whichever player they are going draft - unless it's Hanifin - those defender won't see the nhl for another 3 years so yeah.

Also Perron could play the agitator role because of Gazdic. Macintyre but I agree he also brings goalscoring to the table and comes at a nice cap hit. Obviously he is going to be great for them because he gets to play with either Malkin or Crosby

This does help the oilers in terms of tanking but at some point Hall, Eberle and Hopkins will get sick of this and ask for a trade

Edited by frankgrimes

He's a right-shot winger in the prime of his career who scored 30 goals for the Oilers. (He got lucky. He'll never score 30 again. But still.) He plays with an edge, likes to agitate, goes to the dirty areas, is a pain in the ass to play against - but he's also skilled enough to be considered a goal-scorer. I'd like him as a gritty complementary winger with good scoring upside. His cap hit's good, he's only signed for one more year past this year, so it wouldn't be a major investment. It'd be a late first-rounder for a guy who could add a dimension to our forward corps that we're somewhat lacking. At the very least, he'd give us some more scoring depth. Basically, I'd take Perron over a kid who's seven years away from playing big, meaningful minutes for the Wings (i.e. the kid we would, and will, take with our first-round pick).

I know - "We should use that first-round pick on a defenseman, not David frickin' Perron." I just have zero faith that that's going to happen. We're not getting Myers, we're not getting Yandle, and we won't move a first for a rental (Green). We're going to sit on the pick, because "there's no hockey store." That makes me a sad panda.

The one thing I "like" about not getting Perron is his hips are a major issue. He might be one big hit away from being borderline useless.

...But we all know he's going to be huge for the Pens, because of course he will.

I've seen you mention this before. Personally I've never seen that side of David Perron. Sure he's not your typical soft finesse player, he's a good two-way winger who finishes his checks, but plays with an edge? agitates? dirty areas? pain in the ass? I wouldn't use any of those phrases to describe him. I think you have David Perron mistaken for David Backes.

Acquiring Perron doesn't address a need for us. It would be a move for the sake of making a move. And that's why it'd be dumb.

no way am I comparing 02 with a cap team. The only comparison is too many offensive talents is not necessarily a bad thing. You insinuated where he would play because of us having Tatar and Nyquist already in the top 6. My point was, Detroit was already loaded with O talent and Bowman didn't have a problem with putting more talent on the ice. If Perron is not as good as Tats and Gus, but better than Abby, Andrsson, Franzen, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have the best players and better offensive talent. It would not have been a bad thing to sacrifice a bottom 6 player and a pick to make the team better. But instead Pitt got better and stayed the same.

Edited by LeftWinger

no way am I comparing 02 with a cap team. The only comparison is too many offensive talents is not necessarily a bad thing. You insinuated where he would play because of us having Tatar and Nyquist already in the top 6. My point was, Detroit was already loaded with O talent and Bowman didn't have a problem with putting more talent on the ice. If Perron is not as good as Tats and Gus, but better than Abby, Andrsson, Franzen, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have the best players and better offensive talent. It would not have been a bad thing to sacrifice a bottom 6 player and a pick to make the team better. But instead Pitt got better and stayed the same.

Or you could think of it like "Oilers got worse, and we stayed the same"

It seems like the majority of LGW wants to see a trade go down just for the sake of seeing a trade go down. Then when other teams do make a trade, all of a sudden they're over the top and oh no who can stop them now?? The Pens have been aggressive buyers almost every year for the past five/six years, and somehow it hasn't translated to a whole lot of success in the playoffs. As for Perron, he's not the type of player the Wings should even be spending assets to acquire. All things considered, we have a good amount of talent spread throughout our forwards, everyone is buying into the system and filling their role well, and we've seen chemistry form from a variety of different line combos already. Why mess with that? If we're looking to make a trade, let's fill a void and go for a top four offensive-defensman. If we can't find one for a fair price, we always have plan B of continuing to develop our prospects to eventually fill a role. But getting worked up because the Pens, or Flyers, or Bruins, or whoever made a deal and all of a sudden they look better on paper isn't worth knocking Holland over. Especially when its only January.

Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Tatar, and Nyquist are better than Perron. Weiss may be once he gets a scoring role again, and Sheahan is turning into a better player as the season progresses. Abdelkader and Helm both play specific roles, and Jurco needs to stay on a scoring line. There is no room for Perron, or a winger of similar ability. They need a winger with size who uses it and can score, or an upgrade in the top 4 D. Anything else is just trading to make a trade, which is usually counter productive.

Only on LGWs would we ***** about Holland not trading for a guy the that the team has no use for.

Nobody ever wanted him 5 minutes before he was traded. Do we really want to be like the pens. Throwing away all our picks and prospects at the deadline every year for rentals and mortgaging the future

Nobody ever wanted him 5 minutes before he was traded. Do we really want to be like the pens. Throwing away all our picks and prospects at the deadline every year for rentals and mortgaging the future

The years of unloading picks will catch up to them one day. They're gonna go to the cupboard for a call up and there won't be anything there.

The years of unloading picks will catch up to them one day. They're gonna go to the cupboard for a call up and there won't be anything there.

Not saying we should have made this trade, but it's the same kind of thing we used to do. When you feel like your team is on the cusp, you make tweaks, often giving up some future for something to help today.

Nice trade for the Pens. Not sure what Edm thinks they're trying to do though, decent value but not what they need.

Not saying we should have made this trade, but it's the same kind of thing we used to do. When you feel like your team is on the cusp, you make tweaks, often giving up some future for something to help today.

Nice trade for the Pens. Not sure what Edm thinks they're trying to do though, decent value but not what they need.

When?

I know i'm new to this board, but i'm a longtime lurker, and it seems whenever another team makes a half decent trade, people here start either complaining we should have tried to get that player, or complain that Kenny has no balls and won't make any trades. The team is doing fine. We did'nt need Perron. Petry would be nice though...

I know i'm new to this board, but i'm a longtime lurker, and it seems whenever another team makes a half decent trade, people here start either complaining we should have tried to get that player, or complain that Kenny has no balls and won't make any trades. The team is doing fine. We did'nt need Perron. Petry would be nice though...

Welcome. Hold on to that sanity.