• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

1/3 GDT : Red Wings 1 at Canucks 4

Rate this topic

Not sure if you noticed but we don't win close games. Before last night, of games decided by one goal, we've lost 12 and won 7. Of the games decided by more than one goal, we've won 11 and lost 6. Of the seven close games we won, four were against non playoff teams. Playoff teams nearly unanimously beat us in close games.

I'm not overly confident that close games can "go either way".

Not when the team loses every shootout.

I thought Kronwall tried to pass to Franzen, who of course made no effort to accept it? lol

Maybe Franzen was out of position but the pass went nowhere near anybody... he essentially had a crucial zone clearing that ensured Canucks victory. It will be a while before I forgive him for that. Maybe if he gets a point shot on net I may be able to see past it

It drives me nuts that not a single member of the press corps has asked or written about this Weiss situation. Khans busy speculating about all-star ballots, while St. James is making up trade rumors involving Tatar. Neither, apparently, have the time to ask actual questions about real team issues. Garbage.

And what gets me scratching my head is that when he returned - Weiss was pretty productive...I'm all for giving Weiss the linemates, and ice time that Franzen has, and let the Mule sit in the press box.

I mean, maybe there's a perfectly good explanation for it. My problem isn't (necessarily) that Weiss is on the fourth line, it's that nobody is even asking why. And given his production up until the demotion, you'd think the dramatic reversal in this fortunes might be of interest to a beat reporter.

Agreed.

I'm of the opinion that Weiss was never known for his defensive awareness, and maybe Babcock is sending a message by demoting him...Then again I've been wrong about alot of stuff so - what do I know?

Any scouting report I've ever seen on Weiss mentions his two way game and defensive responsibilities. But I don't know either. That's why I'm irritated that nobody has bothered to ask or write about it. You've got a 5 million dollar player getting 7-10 minutes a night, AND he wasn't playing bad before getting benched. It's a head scratcher.

Any scouting report I've ever seen on Weiss mentions his two way game and defensive responsibilities. But I don't know either. That's why I'm irritated that nobody has bothered to ask or write about it. You've got a 5 million dollar player getting 7-10 minutes a night, AND he wasn't playing bad before getting benched. It's a head scratcher.

I've never seen anything that says Weiss isn't a defensively responsible forward. Maybe not "heavy" on the puck... but maybe people get confused about his two-way play because he used to be on one of the s***tiest teams in the league.

On top of that, I would be amazed if Holland ever offered a 5 million dollar+ contract to ANY FORWARD that isn't at least a decently responsible two-way player.

I mean, maybe there's a perfectly good explanation for it. My problem isn't (necessarily) that Weiss is on the fourth line, it's that nobody is even asking why. And given his production up until the demotion, you'd think the dramatic reversal in this fortunes might be of interest to a beat reporter.

that's the craziest part to me. I'm not in Detroit so maybe it's being discussed in local coverage, but from what I've seen no one is even asking the obvious question about Weiss.

Maybe Franzen was out of position but the pass went nowhere near anybody... he essentially had a crucial zone clearing that ensured Canucks victory. It will be a while before I forgive him for that. Maybe if he gets a point shot on net I may be able to see past it

I rewatched the play because I had mistakenly blamed Franzen for the pass (one less thing to be mad at him for I guess). Franzen had actually backed out of the zone once Kronwall lost possession of the puck. I can't blame him for that because it's an empty net and he's got the Canucks moving his way. Kronwall manages to recover the puck but then throws it to the point without looking to see Franzen was no longer there. On a power play I could see the point man staying in the zone, but not so much when it's an empty net and it's a forward covering the point.

But the Canucks didn't actually score on that play. The Wings regained possession and brought it back into the offensive zone. They had the Canucks outnumbered along the boards but Nyquist loses the puck and both Sedins come charging up ice, Weiss doesn't do a very good job pressuring Daniel, who makes a nice pass to Henrik, who takes a shot from his own blueline and scores. It was a nice play by the Sedins. I don't quite understand how they Wings lost possession in the corner that quickly given they had Nyquist, Weiss and I think Sheahan all there against two Canucks.

that's the craziest part to me. I'm not in Detroit so maybe it's being discussed in local coverage, but from what I've seen no one is even asking the obvious question about Weiss.

It's definitely not being asked in local coverage. I've got about every Red Wings news source and blog tagged, key worded, and sent to my phone. If anything happens with this team, I'm alerted to it, and I haven't seen a single mention of Weiss situation across the board. I've even used my MLive alter ego, "TheGlistening", to email Khan directly and ask for an update. Everybody is mum. It's like they're purposely not covering an obvious story...but I have no idea why.

Edited by kipwinger

Agreed.

I'm of the opinion that Weiss was never known for his defensive awareness, and maybe Babcock is sending a message by demoting him...Then again I've been wrong about alot of stuff so - what do I know?

My guess is that Weiss hasn't been following Babcock's system closely enough for his liking. Pure speculation, but the only other explanation I can think of is that they're playing him so little that he'll ask to be traded.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

It's definitely not being asked in local coverage. I've got about every Red Wings news source and blog tagged, key worded, and sent to my phone. If anything happens with this team, I'm alerted to it, and I haven't seen a single mention of Weiss situation across the board. I've even used my MLive alter ego, "TheGlistening", to email Khan directly and ask for an update. Everybody is mum. It's like they're purposely not covering an obvious story...but I have no idea why.

It's just so bizarre that no one is even asking. Even if Babcock just glares at you and grunts, you still ask the question. There's a Red Wings player who was brought in to be the 2nd line center on a 5 year $5 million deal and he's on the 4th line getting fewer minutes than any other forward.

It's not occurred to any reporter to ask why that is? How big of a mouthpiece for the Red Wings are the local media??

Use your Puck Daddy alter ego, "Mayor McBoobs" and ask Wysh to get one of his lackeys on it... Hell, he could ask St. James, she's on the podcast on the reg, to ask about it... give her something meaningful to do.

For those of you not familiar, do yourself a favor: Google (Image Search) Mayor McBoobs. Good for a chuckle even if you're not into boobs. NSFW-ish.

Edited by e_prime

Use your Puck Daddy alter ego, "Mayor McBoobs" and ask Wysh to get one of his lackeys on it... Hell, he could ask St. James, she's on the podcast on the reg, to ask about it... give her something meaningful to do.

For those of you not familiar, do yourself a favor: Google (Image Search) Mayor McBoobs. Good for a chuckle even if you're not into boobs. NSFW-ish.

I'd get Ryan Lambert to do it. I'm sure he'd relish questioning Mike Babcock to his face. Lambert's my kind of *******.

As for St. James doing something meaningful...maybe she could cut off her own hands so that she'd never type another article again. That would be about the extent of her utility at this point.

I'd get Ryan Lambert to do it. I'm sure he'd relish questioning Mike Babcock to his face. Lambert's my kind of *******.

As for St. James doing something meaningful...maybe she could cut off her own hands so that she'd never type another article again. That would be about the extent of her utility at this point.

Are other teams beat reporters this lousy?

I was just thinking this. Why wouldn't the media comment. We got a guy who seemingly turned a huge corner and recovered from injury and had a huge impact like we believed he would when we first signed him. The more I think about it the more it pisses me off. Scoring depth is one thing, but it's not like any of our top 9 lines are playing so well we can't move them around. Him and Abby are the only guys that have shown they can bang pucks home around the net.

I think Bab's is pulling the sports psychology long-con. No matter what Weiss does, it's not good enough. Oh you scored 2 goals? Call me when you score 3, 4, 5 etc.

Then one day, just when Weiss can't grit his teeth and fight for it at 110% on the 4th line any longer, Zetterberg and Datsyuk both go down with injuries.

It's time.

First shift on the 1st line Weiss goes coast to coast, performs a triple sow cow, and then rockets the mother of all slappers into the goalies logo pushing the goalie and the puck into the back of the net.

Babs lights a cigar behind the bench.

At least that's how the colorful story book in my head plays out.

Edited by number9

I think Bab's is pulling the sports psychology long-con. No matter what Weiss does, it's not good enough. Oh you scored 2 goals? Call me when you score 3, 4, 5 etc.

Then one day, just when Weiss can't grit his teeth and fight for it at 110% on the 4th line any longer, Zetterberg and Datsyuk both go down with injuries.

It's time.

First shift on the 1st line Weiss goes coast to coast, performs a triple sow cow, and then rockets the mother of all slappers into the goalies logo pushing the goalie and the puck into the back of the net.

Babs lights a cigar behind the bench.

At least that's how the colorful story book in my head plays out.

Haha. Well he is, after all, a genius.

HSJ is the absolute worst. She's a mouthpiece for Holland and the organization. No way she would ever pose a question that countered the decision making of Holland or Babs.

This is what people were talking about too over the summer when nobody in the media dared to blast Holland or even force him to answer questions about giving a raise to Kyle Quincey, re-signing Dan Cleary and failing to obtain a quality d-man for the third consecutive year.

She has time to write about trading the Wings top goal-scorer for another s***ty d-man, though.

Babcock on Weiss: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/01/red_wings_tomas_jurco_playing.html

Babcock said Weiss has been fine, but he must take someone else's minutes.

"I think he's battling real hard, now he has to take someone's job," Babcock said. "That's how it is."

Unreal. We're playing like garbage, we can't score, and Weiss has to earn more than ten minutes a game? I don't remember Abdelkader having to earn back his ice time after his shoulder injury (the same exact one as Weiss had, but which kept him out longer). Babcock is such a ******* tool.

At least Khan finally asked though. I like to think it's because of TheGlistening's friendly prodding lol.

Yeah, we don't have a player with one goal in 20 games that Weiss could take minutes from or anything.

Nope, gotta earn that time. And scoring 11 points in 12 games isn't earning it enough for Uncle Mike. Not at all.

Babcock on Weiss: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/01/red_wings_tomas_jurco_playing.html

Babcock said Weiss has been fine, but he must take someone else's minutes.

"I think he's battling real hard, now he has to take someone's job," Babcock said. "That's how it is."

Unreal. We're playing like garbage, we can't score, and Weiss has to earn more than ten minutes a game? I don't remember Abdelkader having to earn back his ice time after his shoulder injury (the same exact one as Weiss had, but which kept him out longer). Babcock is such af****** tool.

At least Khan finally asked though. I like to think it's because of TheGlistening's friendly prodding lol.

Well, he's obviously not doing whatever it is the coaching staff is asking him to do.

Well, he's obviously not doing whatever it is the coaching staff is asking him to do.

When asked point blank, Mike Babcock said that Weiss could help the team by scoring. Which he did. After which time, Babs benched him. So either, Babs was full of s*** when he said he wanted Weiss to score. Or else scoring roughly a point per game isn't enough to avoid getting benched. The latter is absurd, the former tells us a little bit about Babcock's views on scoring.

When asked point blank, Mike Babcock said that Weiss could help the team by scoring. Which he did. After which time, Babs benched him. So either, Babs was full of s*** when he said he wanted Weiss to score. Or else scoring roughly a point per game isn't enough to avoid getting benched. The latter is absurd, the former tells us a little bit about Babcock's views on scoring.

I think Weiss could have a 1G, 1A, +1 game and Babcock would still stick him with The Clubhand Twins on the 4th line if he though he was being weak on the puck or something.