• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
e_prime

CapGeek shuts down

Rate this topic

Went to capgeek.com today and was greeted by the announcement that they have ceased operations? W T F ?

I won't comment or speculate about the reasons why... Even though there is a short explanation...

Is it really just a one man show?

I've kept in touch with Matt on and off for years (for a short time he wrote about the Red Wings' prospects on this site before the turn of the century and branching out to Rivals.com and eventually RWC). We worked a bit on CapGeek together and this is truly sad news.

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. I know the decision made tonight was an extremely difficult one for him....

I've kept in touch with Matt on and off for years (for a short time he wrote about the Red Wings' prospects on this site before the turn of the century and branching out to Rivals.com and eventually RWC). We worked a bit on CapGeek together and this is truly sad news.

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. I know the decision made tonight was an extremely difficult one for him....

First RWC, now this? I'm starting to fear LGW will go down. What's ever going on I hope the best for Matt.

Matt is there anyway someone could help run it?...wow I hate to hear that. Was an awesome site. It was used many MANY times here. I hope everything is ok with him. In our thoughts and prayers.

Matt is there anyway someone could help run it?...wow I hate to hear that. Was an awesome site. It was used many MANY times here. I hope everything is ok with him. In our thoughts and prayers.

The announcement said it was due to health reasons, and that he doesn't want media or purchase requests about the site. So no, nobody can help him run it. I'm hoping that he's not selling it because he wants to restart it once his health issues are over. I know that it takes a lot of work, and it was mostly him doing it all.

Wow. This is really sad...I really hope for the best for Mr. Wuest. His health and family come first.

About the site though....his tweet said that the site has "permanently" ceased operations. That language is extremely final. Why, I wonder?

As someone who deals with health issues (kidney stones, back pain...) on a daily basis, I can understand and respect his decision. Ultimately, it's just a website, and hockey is just a game. Health and family and quality of life is all that really matters.

I hope everything works out for him. He'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Nhlnumbers.com is the only other site I've heard of. I don't know how good or accurate they are though. I've always used capgeek.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/DET?year=2015

Meh. This is okay. Certainly doesn't have the nice tools and gizmos that Capgeek does and probably isn't updated as religiously or fervently as Capgeek either. I'm sorry for my loss...

...but more importantly, I hope the dude gets better. I don't know him, but I'm gonna be rooting for him and his family in hopes that he gets better.

God Bless Matt and his family! He really provided all of us with unlimited information! Sad to see the site go (RWC as well.)

We lose nothing without those two sites, but if we lost Matt, the world would lose an exceptional human being, and this world is running low on those, the world needs Matt, we can do without Capgeek. Get Well Soon!

First RWC, now this? I'm starting to fear LGW will go down. What's ever going on I hope the best for Matt.

No plans to shut anything down, though I am looking into a new host for the site.

Had to hit the Wayback Machine for this one:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100109084606/http://www.letsgowings.com/salarychart/index.php

I used to block away an hour or so every Sunday night to update that thing by hand. What a monster pain in the butt that was. Matt Wuest got his automated on CapGeek and I thought it far better to save my hour(s) and, eventually, help out on the CG user interfaces.

Wishing him all the best and a never give up attitude.

CapNerd.com?

I didn't use CapGeek too much, but I have and I know a lot of people relied on its data. I hate seeing such a niche and favorable tool go away. I'm not going to spend time on it if there are already others that fill that void though. I was hoping we could build one that used crowd-sourcing for the data. They said Matt spent a lot of time updating it so I don't know if that was for IT/architecture reasons or simply data entry. If the hockey community pulled together we could probably get the data filled out pretty quick.

Edited by rrasco