• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Time for Teemu?

Rate this topic

Of course Babs had access to better players during the olympics but he played the same type of defense first, win by one goal type of game as he tries to do with the wings.

And in hindsight it turn out pretty werll for Canada, they've dominated their opponents. The problem is, nobody knows what type of team the Wings are so it's hard for every coach to give them the proper system. If you don't know what you have you can't create a system for it simple. For sure this team is not tough we know that (probably the softest team in the NHL), are they skilled ? Compared to Wings standards no they aren't...so what type of team are they ? If I'm Babcock I'd asked Holland that question and get his input on how to get more consistency into this lineup.

Do I think Pulkkinen is the answer ? Hardly but giving him a few games and see how it goes can't hurt.

Well any tactic would've worked out well for that team, it would've been more of an achievement if he had managed to not win somehow.

Not sure if it's the best way for the wings to be playing though.

Who out of Zetterberg, Tatar, Nyquist, Franzen, and Jurco do you think he'd play better than? Those are the guys, other than Helm and Abdelkader who are playing a banging role that Pulk can't, that have been on the wing in the top 6, depending on if Zetterberg is at center or not.

Jurco is on pace for about 4 goals this season, isn't he? I don't think he's really blown anyone's expectations out of the water this year. I wouldn't shed a tear if he sat for a bit in favor of Pulkkinen.

Edited by barabbas16

Well any tactic would've worked out well for that team, it would've been more of an achievement if he had managed to not win somehow.

Not sure if it's the best way for the wings to be playing though.

Well you still need to get the job done, which isn't always easy Sweden, USA and Russia had great rosters too but they couldn't beat Canada so.

I'm not disagreeing with you but if defense first isn't the best way to play what then is the best way to play ? This team for sure can't risk to get into a shooting match with other teams with that defense.

I'd like to see him play a few games just to see how he does but I think pulkkinen will be a key piece in a deal by the trade deadline,unless we get rid of a jurco,Tatar,nyquist,sheahan but I don't see that happening

Just not enough spots and guys like Mantha,larkin,athanasiou,janmark,holmstrom,bertuzzi,natasiuk,nosek ready in next few years

Think Pulkkinen's a goner

Unless they send Jurco down, it's not going to happen. There's no room for him. Further, it's not they guys most will suggest moving out of the top 3 lines that are the problem, for the most part it's the top players who aren't scoring.

Most teams go through stretches where they don't score. It happens. There's no reason to try to force a rookie into the lineup thinking that's the magic cure.

Pretty much this. I'd also add that Kenny surely wants him leading the way on the farm. We want the Griffins to be successful, win a Calder Cup. If you remove Pulkkinen from that lineup, with Athanasiou already out with a broken jaw...things would likely get pretty ugly.

Who out of Zetterberg, Tatar, Nyquist, Franzen, and Jurco do you think he'd play better than? Those are the guys, other than Helm and Abdelkader who are playing a banging role that Pulk can't, that have been on the wing in the top 6, depending on if Zetterberg is at center or not.

Pretty hard for the kid to play worse than Franzen. He's been dreadful all year, doesn't compete physically most nights, etc. I just believe in the kids. None of them have given me reason to think they can't help us in the last year and a half. Now in saying that, I realize that their is no chance in hell that Pulks would play over the Mule, not the Red Wings style. I just think he'd give us at least what Franzen provides, plus he's RHed.

I agree it would be good to bring up a pure scorer but I think if Holland planned on bringing up a kid he would end up skipping him for Mantha just to get a look at what he can do in the NHL

Mantha still has his hands full adjusting to the AHL. Pulkkinen has paid his dues in the AHL, is tearing it up down there, and is most likely not only to not be a liability on an NHL team, but potentially contribute. I can't possibly see Holland bring up Mantha over Pulkkinen given how the two have performed so far this year.

well if its D first for Babs, how the hell is team leading -12 mule not in the press box? For one of our top 6 guys

he has 2 goals the last 20 games and his -12 to boot. This is why someone on the front desk needs a word or 2.

Sure we need Mule, but the mule that brings it not what we are seeing at the moment, he is one of the teams

A/ Cpt so its about time he stepped up and set an example to the jnr guys. 6' 4" 230lb he should be dominate

out there, this is the only season that Mule is posting a - so something isnt right with him. Maybe watching big

Andy skate in his place his for a couple of games might ignite a fire under his ass, maybe!

As for the Jurco doubters, the kid leads the team with +7 so he's doing what Babs has asked of him, although

this is keeping his output down, and in my view wasting a scoring talent by Babs.

Its not doubting Jurco just:

The team needs an improvement and the only guys that generate interest are Jurco, Tatar, Mrazek, Nyquist and of course Mantha

Maybe send some players down for a conditioning stint and see if more young players can surprise.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Jurco, he's been hot garbage lately.

well if its D first for Babs, how the hell is team leading -12 mule not in the press box? For one of our top 6 guys

he has 2 goals the last 20 games and his -12 to boot. This is why someone on the front desk needs a word or 2.

Sure we need Mule, but the mule that brings it not what we are seeing at the moment, he is one of the teams

A/ Cpt so its about time he stepped up and set an example to the jnr guys. 6' 4" 230lb he should be dominate

out there, this is the only season that Mule is posting a - so something isnt right with him. Maybe watching big

Andy skate in his place his for a couple of games might ignite a fire under his ass, maybe!

As for the Jurco doubters, the kid leads the team with +7 so he's doing what Babs has asked of him, although

this is keeping his output down, and in my view wasting a scoring talent by Babs.

Jurco is also not seeing the opponents top lines, and usually is on the ice with Kronwall.

The team needs an improvement and the only guys that generate interest are Jurco, Tatar, Mrazek, Nyquist and of course Mantha

Maybe send some players down for a conditioning stint and see if more young players can surprise.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Out of those guys you mentioned jurco is the only one I would consider trading in a package depending the player we get

The other 4 I'd just hang up the phone , and for others saying we got howard he's our number 1 ... I think mrazek will be a star goalie and even if some of you think he's tradeable , if howard gets hurt and we traded mrazek were as good as done cause we got nothing else in our system (monster isn't reliable and always gets injured)

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

As much as I'd like to see Pulu up with the Wings, I don't think moving Jurco to another team is the solution. I think he's got an edge to his game that you're not going to find with some of the other prospects/players in the organization. Even if his skill game doesn't meet expectation, he can serve as a net presence/puck retrieval type guy. I was all for Jurco starting the year in the AHL (if Alfie was going to return) and I still kind of feel as if he might have been better served down there. He could be dominating on a line with Pulkkinen. It may be against "lesser" competition, but I think it would have done him some good - he's still only 22, and he never got a full season of dominating play in the AHL.

Either way, there are about 2-3 guys I'd move before Jurco in order to open a spot for someone else.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Your forgetting someone who I hope would not be traded but a lot of teams want right now.

Larkin.

Am I getting this right?

You people are arguing over which young player Holland should TRADE in order to make room for a Pulkinnen call-up?

He's out of options next year, and we can't just let him go. Although I would be fine with just waiving andersson

He's out of options next year, and we can't just let him go. Although I would be fine with just waiving andersson

Totally. That's what I'm getting at. Holland will sort that out.

I was getting the vibe that some people were ready to ship someone like Jurco out just so Pulkinnen could see some action now.

Which is a ridiculous notion.

I couldn't agree more Jesusberg. We've been on the same page in regards to how Jurco should have been managed, since before the season started. He could still use some more time in the minors and I honestly think if he spent as much time as Nyquist and Tatar down on the farm, he would have turned out to be the most talented among the three... now I'm not so sure... I love Jurco and I do believe he can still be a threat within a few years but I had extremely high expectations for him. Let's hope, this rare prospect mismanagement doesn't bite us in the ass. There really is something to be said for the way the Wings usually manage their prospects.

I also agree with zombo. I love Pulkkinen and he is doing great down in Grand Rapids, I'm sure he will get a call-up at some point this season, but there is no need to make a trade, just to get him up here now... Especially if it would involve trading away one of our young up and coming kids. Makes zero sense.

I couldn't agree more Jesusberg. We've been on the same page in regards to how Jurco should have been managed, since before the season started. He could still use some more time in the minors and I honestly think if he spent as much time as Nyquist and Tatar down on the farm, he would have turned out to be the most talented among the three... now I'm not so sure... I love Jurco and I do believe he can still be a threat within a few years but I had extremely high expectations for him. Let's hope, this rare prospect mismanagement doesn't bite us in the ass. There really is something to be said for the way the Wings usually manage their prospects.

I also agree with zombo. I love Pulkkinen and he is doing great down in Grand Rapids, I'm sure he will get a call-up at some point this season, but there is no need to make a trade, just to get him up here now... Especially if it would involve trading away one of our young up and coming kids. Makes zero sense.

Jurco will still be fine. He's 21. By 24 he'll be doing what Abdelkader is doing now. By 27 he'll be around 50-60 pts. a year...and physical. Everything we hoped Franzen would turn out to be. Jurco is a big kid, but always played a skilled game. He's basically learning how to be a power forward, but learning in the NHL rather than Juniors or AHL. It's a steep learning curve. Abby had the same one.

Jurco is already an excellent passer, once he learns how to score in tight, his production will explode.

Edited by kipwinger

I agree that Jurco will be fine, however I do think another season down in Grand Rapids would have been better for his development. I also don't think Nyquist or Tatar would be the players they are today if they were full time NHLers at 21 years old, without putting in their time in Grand Rapids. Jurco was basically thrown into the NHL after just one season in the minors whereas Tatar and Nyquist spent 3-4 years down there. It's just not the way we usually handle our prospects in Detroit, and I personally prefer the slow approach. And yes we were forced to have him up last season due to injuries but he didn't need to start this season up in the NHL.

I agree that Jurco will be fine, however I do think another season down in Grand Rapids would have been better for his development. I also don't think Nyquist or Tatar would be the players they are today if they were full time NHLers at 21 years old, without putting in their time in Grand Rapids. Jurco was basically thrown into the NHL after just one season in the minors whereas Tatar and Nyquist spent 3-4 years down there. It's just not the way we usually handle our prospects in Detroit, and I personally prefer the slow approach. And yes we were forced to have him up last season due to injuries but he didn't need to start this season up in the NHL.

That may be true. I certainly won't argue, as Holland's approach to prospect development has worked excellently in the past. But it should be noted that prior to the season opener Babcock said he wanted Jurco on the team, and he has consistently praised his play. So this is a case where Holland is screwed either way. If he doesn't leave Jurco on the big club, then everyone complains that this is just like when he left Nyquist (and now Ouellet) down despite Babcock's wishes. If he does bring him up then he doesn't get the development that he probably ought to.

Also, as an aside, it also means that Cleary would likely have played more. Which everyone would crucify Holland for as well.

So I'm not going to get too bent out of shape for it either way.

Edited by kipwinger

True, but since when does Holland give two s***s what the fans think? He does what he believes is best for the organization, period, as he should. You mentioned Cleary getting in more games, and I honestly don't think that would have been the worst thing. Cleary playing 4th line instead of wasting away Weiss, Weiss playing in Jurco's spot and Jurco getting more development in the minors. Anyway, I think it was the wrong call to have him up this season, but I've beaten that to death, and we'll never know either way, so I'll drop it... lol