• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Nyquist Fined for Diving/Embellishment

Rate this topic

The one against the Bruins was definitely a dive but I think the one against the Devils, he just lost an edge...

In isolation it could go either way. But with the Bruins dive as hindsight I've got to imagine he "lost an edge" on purpose there. He's clearly not above doing such things.

I just hope he stops doing it. It's embarrassing for him and for the organization.

Kudos to the NHL for addressing the issue btw. I can't stand soccer because of the diving going on there.

Edited by derblaueClaus

I hope Babcock bags his ass to death the first chance he gets. Wear him completely the f*** out for doing it. Twice. Once for each offense. I can't stand seeing this s***, and it's never going to stop until the league seriously addresses it (which I guess they're trying to do), and until players and coaches completely condemn it.

Sheeesh you guys act like that never happens and he's not the only one doing it.

By that rationale we should be ok with it if one of our guys cheap shots someone in the head. Ya know, because other people do it too.

I'm a proponent of having higher standards than that.

By that rationale we should be ok with it if one of our guys cheap shots someone in the head. Ya know, because other people do it too.

I'm a proponent of having higher standards than that.

Hitting someone in the head and embellishing are slightly different things.

I think you're being a bit too hard-line about this. Diving sucks, but it's a thing. That's why they're doing this fining system - it's gotten slightly out of control and the league wants to clamp down on it. (Granted, the same can be said of hits to the head. But, again, I'll take a dive over a shot to someone's head. Not that I condone either one, mind you.)

Definitely deserved but what about teams like Anaheim and Pittsburgh that breed divers? I don't see them getting fined.

Considering they've only handed out like 3 fines so far, I'd say just wait a while. They'll get theirs.

Hitting someone in the head and embellishing are slightly different things.

I think you're being a bit too hard-line about this. Diving sucks, but it's a thing. That's why they're doing this fining system - it's gotten slightly out of control and the league wants to clamp down on it. (Granted, the same can be said of hits to the head. But, again, I'll take a dive over a shot to someone's head. Not that I condone either one, mind you.)

Point is, you can rationalize just about anything by saying "we're not the only ones doing it". Doesn't make it any less dirty. It takes ZERO class to dive. If Yzerman didn't do it, and Lidstrom didn't do it, and Datsyuk and Zetterberg don't do it, then our next generation stars and leaders shouldn't do it. Nyquist obviously feels like it's ok to do. He should be broken of that flawed thinking by the coaching staff.

Nyquist

Franzen

Abdelkader

Helm

Tatar

Smith

I've seen them all dive or embellish this season. Am I missing anyone?

For the record, I hate diving pretty much more than anyone. Kipwinger sounds like me talking to my friends haha

Edited by Nevermind

Nyquist

Franzen

Abdelkader

Helm

Tatar

I've seen them all dive or embellish this season. Am I missing anyone?

For the record, I hate diving pretty much more than anyone. Kipwinger sounds like me talking to my friends haha

You're forgetting Smith. He's had a couple doozies.

Embarrassing.

It's pathetic that there's now several Wings players who are diving.

Yeah, if we're being honest, pretty much everyone does it. Or, put another way, no one's totally above it.

That's what worries me.

Honestly the biggest thing that could get me to stop watching the NHL would be if diving becomes commonplace and accepted. And that's the path it's headed.

I can't see Babcock actually benching Nyquist but I hope the organization takes this seriously.

Diving, or at least embellishment, is already commonplace and accepted. Several times every game. A lot of it minor, like throwing up the arms or throwing the head back when being hooked/held or high-sticked, some blatant like this dive, some subtle, like clamping an elbow over someone's stick to embellish a hook...

Like the old axiom, "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying". Embellishment works, plain and simple. Everyone does it. Some worse than others of course, but even Pav and Hank do it. Nick, Yzerman... I really doubt there's even a single player who won't try to get one over on the refs if he thinks he can.

Players should be ashamed of themselves, but on the other hand I can't really blame them. Winning is everything after all.

Kudos though to the league for finally trying to do something about it. Not going far enough I think, but at least it's a start. Personally, I don't think it will end until it's no longer effective. Embellishment should negate the original penalty, or be a double-minor if there was no penalty. And if a team gets caught doing it too often they should lose points.