• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

Osgood circa 2008 *Mod Advisory @ #18*

Rate this topic

Well, you opened the door for the Babcock discussion, so I didn't want to discount it.. Also, it speaks to your posting on the subject that I couldn't determine if you were serious or sarcastic. Sarcasm is encouraged. ;)

No prob. Everybody knows I hate Babcock, so it's certainly a fair assumption. But I guess the give away is that, aside from the original post, I didn't say anything at all about Babcock and never once turned the discussion away from Osgood and his unreal performance.

The Babs thing, as I've said, is as much a way to entertain myself at Harold's expense as anything.

If Zetterberg didn't have that 5-on-3 shift against the Pens, the Conn Smyth may very well have ended up in Osgood's possession.

I mean, that shift was amazing, and being so spectacular to watch made it a microcosm of his whole playoff performance. But he also had 13 goals, over a point a game, and played excellent shutdown defense. It's hard to argue against him. And really the ONLY argument is that he would never have had the opportunity to do any of that if Osgood hadn't come in and saved our bacon in the first series. The fact that he did that, and only got better thereafter, puts him over the top for me.

Edited by kipwinger

If Zetterberg doesn't have that shift, the Conn Smythe may very well have ended up in a Penguin's possesion.

I doubt it. At worst we lose the game and its 2-2 going back to Detroit. We only lost game 5 because Franzen couldn't make an easy clear with a minute left and Fleury had the game of his career. Game 6 was another Wings clinic. The Pens didn't outplay us once that series, we were just way, way better than them.

That shift only cemented what was already in everyones heads, that and Doc Emricks "a Conn Smythe shift" comment. Or maybe it was Crosbys "It was a hockey play anyone could have made" comment, I'm not sure ;)

I doubt it. At worst we lose the game and its 2-2 going back to Detroit. We only lost game 5 because Franzen couldn't make an easy clear with a minute left and Fleury had the game of his career. Game 6 was another Wings clinic. The Pens didn't outplay us once that series, we were just way, way better than them.

That shift only cemented what was already in everyones heads, that and Doc Emricks "a Conn Smythe shift" comment. Or maybe it was Crosbys "It was a hockey play anyone could have made" comment, I'm not sure ;)

haha I forgot about that! Crosby's comments only made that shift better.

Presumably you haven't scrolled down to where I said of the purpose of the thread..."Actually it was just his 2008 performance. The Babcock part was just me being a smartass and making an aside".

And furthermore, at this point part of the reason I talk so much s*** about Babcock is because I know you'll write a report to defend him. Kinda like krsmith17 does with Brendan Smith.

Lighten up Harold.

It was meant as a joke because of your Babcock fixation, so I'll lighten up when you do Kip.

And I'm sure there was no attempt to discredit Babcock in spite of mentioning it in your OP and then wondering why he didn't start the All-Star Chris Osgood.

No prob. Everybody knows I hate Babcock, so it's certainly a fair assumption. But I guess the give away is that, aside from the original post, I didn't say anything at all about Babcock and never once turned the discussion away from Osgood and his unreal performance.

The Babs thing, as I've said, is as much a way to entertain myself at Harold's expense as anything.

Asking why Babcock didn't start Osgood isn't turning the discussion from Osgood's performance?

You can pretend you do it to bait me, but until this thread I haven't been defending Babcock here in a while kip. There's no point because you will twist everything to portray Babcock in the most negative light. It's why I said it's become genuinely entertaining. It truly has been fun to watch how things get spun.

At least be honest about your passive aggressive intent here with Ozzy and your obvious Babcock fixation. jeez.

That's Crosby being a crybaby at its best.

To his credit though, in a later interview when asked what player he'd build a team around, he picked Zetterberg.

It was meant as a joke because of your Babcock fixation, so I'll lighten up when you do Kip.

And I'm sure there was no attempt to discredit Babcock in spite of mentioning it in your OP and then wondering why he didn't start the All-Star Chris Osgood.

Asking why Babcock didn't start Osgood isn't turning the discussion from Osgood's performance?

You can pretend you do it to bait me, but until this thread I haven't been defending Babcock here in a while kip. There's no point because you will twist everything to portray Babcock in the most negative light. It's why I said it's become genuinely entertaining. It truly has been fun to watch how things get spun.

At least be honest about your passive aggressive intent here with Ozzy and your obvious Babcock fixation. jeez.

Holy crap you're defensive. I really didn't know why he didn't start osgood ,, which is why I prefaced it by saying "non smartass question...". I assume there was an actual reason, bit I don't know what it was.

Are you related to mike or something?

Holy crap you're defensive. I really didn't know why he didn't start osgood ,, which is why I prefaced it by saying "non smartass question...". I assume there was an actual reason, bit I don't know what it was.

Are you related to mike or something?

Resorting to calling me defensive and pulling out the "are you related to" joke? That's rookie stuff in bailing on an argument and trying to make someone look bad.

Given how specifically familiar you are with Osgood's 2008 performance and how generally knowledgable you are about hockey, it's odd that you couldn't come up with a plausible reason on your own why Babcock would start the greatest goaltender of the modern era over Osgood, in spite of Ozzy looking very good during the half season he started.

The answer is pretty obviously because Babcock is an overrated, terrible coach.

If not for Ozzy, the Wings would've gotten knocked out in the first round, right? You said so yourself in the OP.

You also wondered why Babcock didn't even start Ozzy in the first four games, in spite of Ozzy being an All-star.

Hence, the 2008 Cup win is not really some great reflection of Babcock's coaching ability.

Did I do it right?

For the record, I'm truly not defensive or worked up. Just amused that you won't own up, when you're pretty transparent.

Edited by haroldsnepsts
clarity, hopefully

The answer is pretty obviously because Babcock is an overrated, terrible coach.

I suppose I should take a page from your book as you'd never resort to anything so base.

Get over it Harold. I've never, ever, said that Babcock is a terrible coach. Or even a bad one. I just don't think he's a genius. I don't think he's the best coach in hockey. And I don't think his style is best for the make up of this team.

However any attempt to voice these things is met with your almost pathological desire to defend the guy.

Its telling that while Ken Holland is quite clearly the most aacxomplished Gm in hockey, you don't instantaneously come to his aid anytime I, or anyone else, says something negative about him. And yet when I make a single, obvious aside (you can tell its an aside because its in parenthesis...see), you come a runnin' to uphold Uncle Mike's honor.

Maybe you don't even realize you're doing it.

I'm hoping Ozzie will make it to the HOF.

As do I. I believe he will. Excellent stats up there with some of the goalies who were considered the elite at the time NO MATTER WHERE HE PLAYED, 3 cups(yes, one as backup). For some reason, people don't see that, and just brush him off at some half ass goalie who only won cups because of the team in front of him. Look at his stats in Long Island and St. Louis. They are on par with his Detroit years. He was actually a main reason NYI went from sucking to making the playoffs in his first season there. He is HOF worthy easily.

I remember when he was ditched by St.Louis for Lalime(whoever was their GM at the time said he was an upgrade lol) and the Wings resigned him, but no one really expected much because our savior Manny Legace was here. lol Oz was asked to learn to change his goaltending style to keep up with how the league was changing, and it worked. Very, very well.

Edited by chaps80

I wonder how MeandMannieupinatree>>>>>>>Ozzie feels about this thread :glare:

Yet again I get to rub a thread or string of posts in Harold's face.(He once told me in a PM that Osgood never comes up on LGW until I come along).

However even though I have a long and well documented history of hating on Osgood, I can even conceed that he played out of his mind in those two playoffs. The team never had to win in spite of his blunders. He was pretty lights out. Any other year (including 1998) the team had to win in spite of him. He was rarely the best goalie on his team let alone the league on this other years. Look it up if you don't believe me.

I will leave my contribution to this thread at that.

I just remember Ozzy making solid timely stops in 08, a very calming presence. Also I think Franzen belongs in that group B Smythe crew with Pav and Ozzy. I've only been watching hockey since 96' but Z's performance was one of the best I've ever seen. Offense, defense, leadership. Im straying here but my favorite qoute/video was whe Mac interviewed Ozzy and asked how he felt beating the Pens and the refs in that series, with their stogies lol! Maybe that motivated the refs for 09?

Osgood was great in 2008. I hope that his performance that year as well as 2009 eventually help solidify him as a hall of famer. I feel that if they won in 2009, he would be in the HOF or be in inevitable inductee.

I hate the argument that he had a great team in front of him. Many great teams have been bounced in the first round because of a bad goalie, or a bad performance by a goaltender. Anyone remember Legace in 2006 vs the Oilers/Roloson. Our team was clearly better, but Roloson simply outplayed Legace.

Osgood may be the most under-appreciated Wing in modern day history.

Yet again I get to rub a thread or string of posts in Harold's face.(He once told me in a PM that Osgood never comes up on LGW until I come along).

However even though I have a long and well documented history of hating on Osgood, I can even conceed that he played out of his mind in those two playoffs. The team never had to win in spite of his blunders. He was pretty lights out. Any other year (including 1998) the team had to win in spite of him. He was rarely the best goalie on his team let alone the league on this other years. Look it up if you don't believe me.

I will leave my contribution to this thread at that.

It’s like I just said beetlejuice 3 times and you appeared. How do you do that?