• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWingsRox

Franzen on IR

Rate this topic

The same people who actually believe(d) that Datsyuk and Babs are/were leaving were the same who advocated tanking the team. They had a desire to dismantle the team. Just like some want to believe Franzen will leave so badly that they will look past the zero evidence (other than amatuer medical opinion) and state that they never expect to see him again.

I recognize theres risk, but the greater probability sits with him returning right now. So thinking it's best that he hangs em up right now, is pretty much 100% jumping to conclusions before all the facts are out.

What are you talking about? I will totally be "positve surprised" if Franzen plays again this year. :lol:

@HeleneStJames: Toughest part of dealing with concussion for Johan Franzen? Tears in kids eyes when "daddy can't play with us." http://t.co/oXbjkaG1py

@HeleneStJames: Johan Franzen (multiple concussions) says not ruling out continuing Wings career

Edited by BottleOfSmoke

That doesn't sound too good. For his health sake he should call it career and retire like Pronger did. Despite all the flak he received here the Red Wings could need a guy like him but there is no need to ruin the rest of his life just for one or two seasons of hockey.

@HeleneStJames: Toughest part of dealing with concussion for Johan Franzen? Tears in kids eyes when "daddy can't play with us." http://t.co/oXbjkaG1py

@HeleneStJames: Johan Franzen (multiple concussions) says not ruling out continuing Wings career

If that's a side-effect of his issue there is no logical reason he should continue to play. Sad to see that injuries derailed what appeared to be a very promising career....

If that's a side-effect of his issue there is no logical reason he should continue to play. Sad to see that injuries derailed what appeared to be a very promising career....

I can think of about 3.8 million reasons per year why he'd want to continue as long as he possibly can.

Didn't like the player, but appreciate the couple of seasons he had where he was the go to guy on this team. More importantly, just because someone isn't liked as a player, doesn't mean he is not respected as a man/husband/father. That I do. Get well for your kids and yourself, hockey is nothing compared to family. It has to be hard because that is all he has known since a little boy, and hanging em up early has to be a real hard decision. That being said, and as much as I believe he should LTIR retire, I also believe he will attempt a comeback next season to see where he is at, but with the years of problems he has had, I don't think it will turn out in his favor as a player. He'll always be part of this team, and always be remembered as the player that dominated the 2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs helping the team win the Stanley Cup. That is his legacy, and nothing, not a forced LTIR retirement or a loudmouth, fly off the handle, talk too much out of his ass forum user (MODS, am I aloud to verbally attack myself? :lol: ) can change that or take that away. But one more hit can take away your livelihood and precious time with your children. Good luck in your life and good luck if you attempt to come back, but mostly, and this is coming from that loudmouth user, Thank You for those few magical years and Thank You for the 2008 Stanley Cup! Goodspeed Johan Franzen, you will forever live in Red Wings lore!

Best for him to go LTIR (he won't 'retire' since he'll lose all that $$$ that remains on his current contract).

With his penchant for concussions - it's best for him to look after himself.

Agreed.

It's incredibly irritating that the hit that ended his career was one of those "oops I'm pretending I didn't see you" ones when he didn't have the puck and no penalty was called on the play.

I hope Klinkhammer is happy that he was the final nail in the coffin for Franzen's career.

I can think of about 3.8 million reasons per year why he'd want to continue as long as he possibly can.

Its part of the reason Marc Savard is still drawing a paycheck from the Bruins. The good news is that injured players don't count against the cap. Now, if he retires, then there is a cap hit.

If you are a Wings fan, you want him to stay on LTIR and not retire so there isn't a negative cap implication.

This team is competing for first in the division, then Franzen gets injured and everything falls apart. He'll be sorely missed if he retires. He's been a truly great Red Wing during his time here. One of the best.

This team is competing for first in the division, then Franzen gets injured and everything falls apart. He'll be sorely missed if he retires. He's been a truly great Red Wing during his time here. One of the best.

Yea, Franzen is a good player. Not like the Wings won't miss him.

For a few months in '08 he was one of the most dominant Wings goal scorers I've ever seen. So much so that I bought his jersey that off season. Concussions can lead to so many mental problems so I really hope he can overcome this for his own sake.

Edited by 8 Legged RedWing

IMHO the hit did look like it was unintentional, but I've been wrong before.

The contact didn't even look too bad - however if one has suffered concussions in the past - it doesn't take too much to revisit the effects of previous concussions - hence the Mule sitting out for such an extended period of time.

Well - it's best for him to get healthy.

I don't think he set out to end Franzen's career, but I do think he was headed that towards the bench and absolutely took the opportunity to slam into Franzen. When you watch the highlight he's facing right at Franzen well before the hit and seems like he's looking right at or at least near him. To survive at the NHL level you have to have a pretty good sense of when someone is near you. To me there's no way that was accidental.

Guys do run into each other from time to time but it's often when they're circling around and looking the other way, not running into someone they're facing the entire time.

The hit is around the 5:35 mark

93 should probably be off limits from now on, like 6 and 16

Bored I guess?

Apparently you're going to keep floating them out there until someone takes the bait.

Guest Playmaker

I wouldn't for a second hold it against Franzen should he chose not to officially retire and still collect the money owed to him. Anyone here who wouldn't, raise your hand.

That said, if there's anyone on the current roster who I think would entertain the thought, it's Franzen. He never struck me as the type that was obsessed with hockey or the fame and money that goes with it. I recall reading in an article that his "dream house" is a 900 sq ft. cabin out in the middle of no where.

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be. I hope he chooses his long term health above all else.

Bored I guess?

Apparently you're going to keep floating them out there until someone takes the bait.

Not bored. Our record this season was a lot worse when Franzen wasn't playing. And when was the last time a RW of his caliber had his career ended early due to injury? Fischer?

The guy pretty much got us a cup in 2008, and almost another one in 2009

· DON'T incite flame wars by purposely baiting ("trolling") other members into an online flame war. Members caught doing so will be disciplined appropriately.

· DO post constructively. If you can't add anything meaningful to a discussion, don't bother.

Obviously directed at me.

My opinion on Franzen, though unpopular, is well documented in this thread and throughout the Franzen arguments on this forum.

If he's done I think 93 should be off limits for at least a while, and I thought the same with number 2 at the time.

Franzen can be the most infuriating Red Wing when he doesn't use the skills he has. I'll admit there have been times I wanted to see him gone. But if his concussion problems are this bad, and he does end up retiring, I wish him the best. I wouldn't wish this type of injury on any player.