• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWingsRox

Franzen on IR

Rate this topic

Not sure that would be a good idea. Players that didn't want to retire would just lie about having concussions. Also, it would be to hard to come up with a number since concussions have different levels of severity and are hard to measure. I also think they should have control of when they want to stop. They have doctor's advising them on their health.

Some kind of concussion relief fund would be good, though. For Franzen's case, he would still get paid, right, if he went on LTIR.

I completely agree, a rule like that would make things worse. If a player has a minor conussion, the last thing they would want to do is tell anyone as that would then count on their "concussion card". Plus, like you pretty much said. One severe concussion can be worse then 5 minor consussion, its completely situation and you cant just put a number on what is "too much".

Big can of worms yes..... Then don't sue......

The guys suing are not the same guys who are playing through them now. All the lawsuits (as far as I know) are about the NHL not making the players aware of the long term ramifications of concussion. They are doing that now, so the current crop of NHL players would not be able to launch that suit.

What the current players could possibly sue for is the NHL allowing aspects of the game that cause concussion, when they are not necessities to the game (ie. Kronwall hit, fighting, random punches to the head (Benn/Zetterberg)). That is why I think fighting is being fazed out, and that is why I think big hits are being fazed out. Its only a matter of time until cheap shots to the head are fazed out as well.