• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
e_prime

McGratton on waivers

Rate this topic

Should Weber have let Cooke spear or cross-check him in the face a second time? The Wild play the Predators on Feb 26, let me know if Cooke does that to Weber again.

Weber is free to respond how he wants, but lets not pretend that fighting prevents cheap shots from happening. On the contrary, its been demonstrated repeatedly that higher rates of fights are associated with more violent acts and injuries, not less. I think Cooke of all players is a good example of this. He's been fed his lunch on several occasions in fights, and yet his suspension history for dangerous and illegal shots is still as long as anybody's.

Edited by Echolalia

Most games now a days the only time there is a fight is a cheap shot. Or to try and spark your team. Let's be honest, I'm not sure what the stat is but I know fighting is down this year. Goons are really not needed in the league anymore but to take fighting out completely is flat out stupid.

Who's "taking fighting out"? GMs are voluntarily waiving goons because they're useless. There is ZERO effort by ANYONE to "take fighting out". It's not like Gary Bettman is forcing teams to waive guys like Brandon Prust or Steve Ott because they occasionally fight.

If you fight once in a while and can play hockey, you get to keep your job. If you are a useless tub of s*** (read: McGrattan) then you hit the bricks. But that's because he's useless, not because someone is "taking fighting out" of hockey.

How do you define a staged fight? Was S. Thornton v. Cooke staged? Was Getzlaf v. J. Thornton in game 6 of the WCQF staged?

IMO there needs to be more team toughness in the NHL and fewer enforcers.

Player 1: "You wanna go"

Player 2: "OK"

Fight takes Place

Player 1: Good Fight Man

Player 2: Thanks!

and all this happens based on nothing from the game. Those examples you gave, I don't know as I didn't watch the games.

Edited by kliq

Not trying to offend you but isn't the DEL considered one of the lesser leagues in Europe? Outside of the NLA, SEL and KHL there seems to be a huge drop down. But that Draisaitl kid should be very good Would you be fine with a guy like Reaves? He does it all just like Nolan

Not offended at all, the DEL is probably one of he worst in Europe. But you mentioned Dratsaitl. He didn't go to play in the SEL,NLA or KHL even though those leagues are all better than the DEL. He wanted to play in the NHL which proves my point : The NHL is still the Top Hockey League despite fewer fights.

OK. I can agree with the idea that 4th liners are, to varying degrees, replaceable players. So let's take a look at what's been this team most used combination on the fourth line: Miller-Gledening-Andersson. On this current team, I think it's very clear that you don't replace Drew Miller or Luke Glendening with an enforcer type player. Detroit is 5th on the PK in the league, and a whole lot of that has to do with Miller and Glendening. They both hit (not a ton, but enough), block shots and make smart defensive plays on a nightly basis.

That leaves Andersson, who I fully admit is not an ideal 4th liner. Doesn't hit or block much - his ability to play on the PK is pretty much his only redeeming quality at this point. As I mentioned before, this team uses eight guys on the PP, leaving four to work the PK. In this case, Andersson's value is that he's not going to make guys like Sheahan or Abdelkader work on both the PP and PK.

I just don't get the idea of adding a player whose sole contribution to the team is dropping the gloves and "keeping people honest". I named a few guys who are effective in other ways (Dorsett, Prust, Roussel, etc.) who I would take over Andersson without a doubt, but all of them chip in offensively, or also work the PK. There is zero room for a "pure" enforcer type player on this team. It just doesn't fit this team's needs.

Not to mention, when this team's fully healthy, it's not using Andersson on the 4th line - it's likely Weiss or Helm. And I just hope you're not advocating using someone like McGrattan or Boll over either of those two.

Except Holland will never go after a Prust, Dorsett or Stewart because they fight. He doesn't care if they score goals and contribute as leaders somehow. If you fight, Holland and Babcock don't want you. Look how they ran Tootoo out of town because he actually fought. They want their 4th liners to be faceless jobbers who the fans don't care about.

Who's "taking fighting out"? GMs are voluntarily waiving goons because they're useless. There is ZERO effort by ANYONE to "take fighting out". It's not like Gary Bettman is forcing teams to waive guys like Brandon Prust or Steve Ott because they occasionally fight.

If you fight once in a while and can play hockey, you get to keep your job. If you are a useless tub of s*** (read: McGrattan) then you hit the bricks. But that's because he's useless, not because someone is "taking fighting out" of hockey.

If he ever reads your post and runs into you in public (or private), this is the look you'd get. Please choose your words carefully.

hi-res-7295044_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=42

Except Holland will never go after a Prust, Dorsett or Stewart because they fight. He doesn't care if they score goals and contribute as leaders somehow. If you fight, Holland and Babcock don't want you. Look how they ran Tootoo out of town because he actually fought. They want their 4th liners to be faceless jobbers who the fans don't care about.

If he ever reads your post and runs into you in public (or private), this is the look you'd get. Please choose your words carefully.

It should be pretty obvious by now that pictures of Brian McGrattan don't have the same visceral affect on me that they do on you. Although, I will say that it's fitting that you chose a picture of him doing something other than skating.

OK, well if you happen to talk to Brian anytime soon, here is a picture of Kip on vacation last summer. Tell him to swing first, and ask questions later.

Lucic_BearTracks_Vancouver_slide.jpg

OK, well if you happen to talk to Brian anytime soon, here is a picture of Kip on vacation last summer. Tell him to swing first, and ask questions later.

Lucic_BearTracks_Vancouver_slide.jpg

It's highly unlikely that the two of them will run into each other as only one of them will be visiting a National Hockey League ice surface anytime soon.

Kip, be careful, he's going to look at you like he's constipated.

This thread started with so much promise. So, so much promise.

*shakes head*

*wipes tear*

"It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era -- the kind of peak that never comes again...Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run... There was madness in any direction, at any hour...You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning...And that, I think, was the handle -- that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting -- on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five days later...you can almost see the high-water mark -- that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

"It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era -- the kind of peak that never comes again...Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run... There was madness in any direction, at any hour...You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning...And that, I think, was the handle -- that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting -- on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five days later...you can almost see the high-water mark -- that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

I guess now we know, truly, the difference between being on waiveerrrrzzzz and merely being on waivers. Hello darkness my old friend...

Sorry to digress, but BoS's avatar looks like Betty While after she stole a hot dog from Murph. Was McGrattan her bodyguard?

Betty White doesn't need a bodyguard, she does what she wants. She will never find herself on waiveerrrrzzzz.

Or waivers, for that matter.

Is anyone else envious that Lucic gets to spend his summers in such a beautiful part of Canada?

I'm guessing he goes to the local humane society to punch strays to keep his d-bag level up to snuff.

He probably doesn't punch them, but there's a good chance he helps neuter them with his stick.

Not trying to offend you but isn't the DEL considered one of the lesser leagues in Europe? Outside of the NLA, SEL and KHL there seems to be a huge drop down. But that Draisaitl kid should be very good Would you be fine with a guy like Reaves? He does it all just like Nolan

Not offended at all, the DEL is probably one of he worst in Europe. But you mentioned Dratsaitl. He didn't go to play in the SEL,NLA or KHL even though those leagues are all better than the DEL. He wanted to play in the NHL which proves my point : The NHL is still the Top Hockey League despite fewer fights.

Not a surprise obviously the league has the best 700 hockey players world wide. Reminds me a lot of a young Kopitar!

Cooke is a rat always was always will be . Weber is a decent fighter but he never goes against other big guys .would loving seeing him against Prout, Lucic or Reaves.