• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

1/15 GDT : Red Wings 3 at Blues 2 (OT)

Rate this topic

Good post. To add some more of those new and shiny fancy stats to support it : Our PDO is 1.005, so we're not very lucky nor unlucky. Our Corsi% is 54.4 which makes us third in the league atm. This is not a fluke, this is real.

And kip of course a lot can happen. Maybe Z back will get bad again, maybe Datsyuk gets injured, pick what you want. But is it so hard to admit that we played a good season so far and deserve our spot in the standings because we are a good, arguably even a top team in the East ?

That's exactly the point. I don't think we're that good. I was trying to make my case for that. To "admit" that we are, would be contrary to how I feel, and also what I've witnessed while watching us flounder against teams like Toronto (lately). We were good in November. We were crappy in December. And we'll see how we look in January and February.

That's exactly the point. I don't think we're that good. I was trying to make my case for that. To "admit" that we are, would be contrary to how I feel, and also what I've witnessed while watching us flounder against teams like Toronto (lately). We were good in November. We were crappy in December. And we'll see how we look in January and February.

Yeah, our insufferable inconsistency again. It's easy to see how when the Wings are on their game the term "contender" is recklessly tossed around and when their off their game we're all wondering if this is the year the streak ends.

I believe as many others have already pointed out, we lack the transition game to truly make us elite. We are well coached though, and that makes up for our shortcomings (along with good drafting/development etc.,) and I am as perplexed as you at some of Babcock's coaching decisions but I suspect we'd be worse off under most of the other coaches in the league. Well, maybe 20 of them.

So until we get a puck moving defense to help fully realize our offensive potential, I'm afraid the one month on one month off will continue.

All the discussion in this thread made me interested to see how the Wings stacked up exclusively against playoff teams, as well as how other playoff teams compared. Unfortunately I couldn't find anywhere online that conveniently had all this data organized, so I went through it all myself (as such there's bound to be errors). Anyway, the following is a tally of the number of wins and losses (I did not count OT or shootout losses as a separate category, just W and L) of all the current playoff teams against each other, and organized from best percentage to worst:

1. Canadiens 13W 9L 22GP 59.1%

2. Ducks 14W 10L 24GP 58.3%

3. Islanders 14W 10L 24GP 58.3%

4. Predators 10W 8L 18GP 55.6%

5. Lightning 10W 9L 19GP 52.6%

6. Blackhawks 11W 10L 21GP 52.4%

7. Canucks 11W 10L 21GP 52.4%

8. Penguins 11W 10L 21GP 52.4%

9. Sharks 12W 11L 23GP 52.2%

10. Rangers 11W 11L 22GP 50%

11. Red Wings 9W 10L 19GP 47.4%

12. Blues 11W 13L 24GP 45.8%

13. Capitals 8W 10L 18GP 44.4%

14. Bruins 9W 13L 22GP 40.9%

15 Kings 8W 12L 20GP 40%

16 Jets 7W 15L 22GP 31.8%

A few things stuck out to me when i was compiling this data/looking over it. 1) The Wings have not played as many games against playoff opponents as many of the other teams on this list. Essentially that confirms what most of us already know: the second half of the Wings' schedule will be considerably tougher than the first half. But also, many of these teams may have a smoother road to the playoffs than us. Although its still tough to gauge opposition quality with this list, because we aren't considering specifically what teams everyone has to face, as well as the relative difficulty of the nonplayoff teams that each team has to play.

Secondly, like the overall standings in the NHL, there really isn't a whole lot separating the majority of teams here. The Canadians, Ducks, and Islanders are pretty comfortably a +500 team, the Jets and Kings are pretty well below 500. The Bruins are too, but as they get healthier, they've been playing much better of late, so I'm hesitant to include them with the Jets and Kings, although for the sake of unbiased statistics they technically should be included in that bottom grouping. But the other 10 teams on that list are each within 2 games of 500. In other words, if the outcome of just one previous game went differently for any of these teams, they would find themselves at 500, or on the opposite side of 500 than they currently are. So parody, I guess.

Some suprises: I guess I never really considered the Canadiens to be as good as they are, because the Wings always seemed to be in striking distance of them, and something about their playoff run last year just seemed flukey to me. But lo and behold they're actually the best team in the league against playoff teams at this point. I was also suprised to the the Lightning as low as they are. They've been getting a lot of hype, and probably rightfully so, but I was expecting them to have a better record than that.

Finally, I don't have any way to quantify this because I'm too lazy, but as I was tallying up the wins and losses, it was quite apparent how streaky some teams are. Some of those records were 5-0, 7-2, 1-8, etc before eventually levelling off around 500. I would have a good streak of wins tallied for some team and it would get me thinking "wow this team has been killing it", then all of a sudden December hits and the team goes on an equally as crazy losing streak, or vice versa.

Guest Playmaker

They are who they we thought they were. Maybe even a little bit better. Who thought Jimmy Howard would be an all-star? Tatar and Nyquist are leading the team in goals and appear to be avoiding the sophomore slump. Datsyuk and Zetterberg have been themselves. DeKeyser and Smith have matured. The PP and PK have improved. Helm and Abdelkader are contributing. They're not an elite team, and I never expected them to be. They've won some games they shouldn't and lost some they should have won. They're not a perfect team with all perfect players, but overall, they've been entertaining and I'm not going to overanalyze it. The future looks much brighter than it did just a year ago. I know they probably won't win the Cup this year, and I'm okay with that.

Slight discussion diversion but last night's game was the first for me in three years and a fine welcome back to the states. (ok say I moved back from Europe in July but close enough). Great game and it is nice having fast enough internet again for something more than a box score!

They played really well after giving up that power play goal. Almost 17 minutes of lockdown hockey where Blues never really got anything and we seen playoff Helm just owning the puck. Shame we gave up the late one on a breakdown at the blue line. I was really disappointed in Z all game but of course he comes up huge on the game winner where he owned the puck and kept the play alive (or was that the play before the goal?) either way, typical captain shift in a big moment.

But you act like we're the only team this happens to. You think we're the only playoff team to lose to the Sabres or the Panthers or the Leafs? You think we're the only playoff team to go on a hot streak,then a cold streak?

And as for struggling lately, we're actually 7-3-0. We've just been on a road trip that many predicted doom and gloom on, and went 4-2. But I'm sure we'll lose a game soon enough that will validate your opinion of us.

i kind of agree with what Kip is saying here. let's pretend for a sec that the wings were lights out in the shootout. 7-1 instead of 1-7. that puts us first overall.

does that make us really the best team in the league??

but i guess every team has some form of a skewed stat due to the shootout.

i kind of agree with what Kip is saying here. let's pretend for a sec that the wings were lights out in the shootout. 7-1 instead of 1-7. that puts us first overall.

does that make us really the best team in the league??

but i guess every team has some form of a skewed stat due to the shootout.

And I think it is impressive where this team stands despite their shootout record.

I haven't see CPRICE12 around these parts for a LONG time! He was our resident Blues fan...maybe he got tired of getting beat all the time?

Ha!

I haven't been here because there hasn't been much Blues-Wings stuff to discuss since you guys moved to the East.

But I was bored so I decided to jump over and see what you guys had to say about the game. I haven't even visited in a while.

My generalized and overall obvious take on the game...

The Blues deserved better. They really controlled play the first half of the game and didn't let Detroit do anything, but Mrazek played really, really well. He made some huge saves. Including a great blocker save in OT. That was impressive.

Wings came on in the 2nd half of the game and played much better than they did early.

Elliott gave up a softy to Datsyuk in OT. Unless he was partially screened, he really should have had that one. That kind of goal is uncharacteristic of him as he's been great this year. Had the game gotten to the shootout (which it almost did)...I liked our chances with how well the Blues have done in shootouts and how poorly Detroit has done.

But I had a bad feeling when the clock ticked down under 10 seconds in OT. I just had a feeling Detroit was going to score.

I can't complain too much though, as we did score with less than a minute to go to force OT, so we came real close to coming away with nothing. With how tough the Central is, I'll take it and move on.

Congrats on the win. Maybe we'll even the score in Detroit later in the season. Maybe a nice 10-3 Blues win like the one a few years ago in Detroit? I'll take one of those. ;)