• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sjr2012

What should we do with the Monster?

Rate this topic

What should we do with Gus?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Isn't Monster only on a 1 year deal? I think he is, and Mrazek is a one way deal next year if I recall correctly. I'd say they let him walk if that's the case. I don't think he'd stay to be number three unless he gets no better offers.

Edited by TheXym

Isn't Monster only on a 1 year deal? I think he is, and Mrazek is a one way deal next year if I recall correctly. I'd say they let him walk if that's the case. I don't think he'd stay to be number three unless he gets no better offers.

I believe you're correct as far as the 1-year deal. I believe we should do nothing and wait until next season and sign Petr as the backup.

As this recent rash of injuries has shown, you can never have too much goalie depth. Keep him and let him walk in July.

I imagine they'll try and ride a (hopefully healthy and fresh) Jimmy down the stretch, so I'd rather Mrazek go to GRs and play some games and try and help that team into the playoffs. Let Monster warm the bench.

Edited by rick zombo

It all depends on the return. If the return is good, trade him. If its bad, I don't trade him. Though, at this point I would be shocked if anything of significance was offered for him so I guess I would say do nothing with him. I see no point waiving him. Its always good to have insurance come playoff time in net.

he needs to get 100% healthy, play a few games and then we can wait untill Howard is back. No need to do anything untill we face the issue of 3 healthy G's, which isn't the case right now. he has little trade value and is a UFA this summer. Just sit and wait.

he needs to get 100% healthy, play a few games and then we can wait untill Howard is back. No need to do anything untill we face the issue of 3 healthy G's, which isn't the case right now. he has little trade value and is a UFA this summer. Just sit and wait.

Hey! haven't seen you on here in over a month. Thought you were gone for good. Been busy scouting I assume?

You stopped posting exactly after reaching 2000 posts, like you had hit your quota or something lol.

The main thing is career backups have next to nothing in trade value. There's probably more value in us keeping him for the next month and waiving him than there is trading him today.

There won't be a taker for him on the trade market. Send Petr back to GR to get some games. If we need him he's a phone call away. If "Monster" doesn't bounce back well from the injury, you can always try & ship him to GR - I still doubt anyone would claim him on waivers if we did that, but who knows. I think if he's healthy, keep Howard/Monster & let Petr get some games in GR. Monster won't be back next year. If he has no takers next year he could always be signed to GR for next year.

Gustavsson should finish the year here. Petr's up full-time next season.

As far as Grand Rapids goes, I wonder if they retain McCollum and Coreau, or just one of the two. Coreau has the better numbers this year. Paterson will be turning pro next season, so I'm curious if they insulate him in the ECHL, or let him back-up one of those two.

As this recent rash of injuries has shown, you can never have too much goalie depth. Keep him and let him walk in July.

I imagine they'll try and ride a (hopefully healthy and fresh) Jimmy down the stretch, so I'd rather Mrazek go to GRs and play some games and try and help that team into the playoffs. Let Monster warm the bench.

Keep in mind 90% of this team's injuries in goal is Monster (yes, I pulled that number out of my ass as a joke... kind of).

Send him to GR and if he gets claimed so be it, if he clears, so be it, but our tandem is now Jimmy/Petr. Monster was an insurance policy to get Petr more time in GR and see if he is NHL ready...he is. No more amount of time in GR is going to prepare him anymore. Waive Monster and if he clears, then GR has a nice veteran goalie down there. If someone claims him, good luck wherever you go! No hate, just no room...

Send him to GR and if he gets claimed so be it, if he clears, so be it, but our tandem is now Jimmy/Petr. Monster was an insurance policy to get Petr more time in GR and see if he is NHL ready...he is. No more amount of time in GR is going to prepare him anymore. Waive Monster and if he clears, then GR has a nice veteran goalie down there. If someone claims him, good luck wherever you go! No hate, just no room...

Come playoff time, dont you think that having Petr playing in the AHL playoffs is better for his development then sitting on the bench in the NHL? If Howard goes down, we can always call him up. You can never have too much playoff/clutch playing time to further your development as a player. Even NHL goalies will say this.

Gotta keep Gus tbh. Mrazek will be around to more than keep the Wings floating above the water until Jimmy returns. Then Mrazek will go back down to GR, and Gus will periodically spell Jimmy down the stretch. Hopefully, the Wings won't be in such a dire situation that requires them to bring their A++++ game every night thanks to the healthy position we're in after 47 games, so giving Monster a game or two every now and then won't hurt, while having Mrazek in GR should strengthen them too.

Keep Monster. As was said above, you can never have too much goalie depth, and would'nt fetch much in a trade. He's UFA after this season anyways. Kenny should make the decision then. Mrazek is ready to back up now. but a little more time in GR would'nt hurt either. Least he'll play more games, instead of getting the odd start when Howard is back.

IMO he's not needed here. We have capable young goalies and when Jimmy is healthy, it's not worth pushing them back in line. Let Mrazek be the backup. I thought re-signing him was a mistake in the first place.

IMO he's not needed here. We have capable young goalies and when Jimmy is healthy, it's not worth pushing them back in line. Let Mrazek be the backup. I thought re-signing him was a mistake in the first place.

The guy outplayed Howard last year

People are seeing a few games (some good, some average at best) from a young goalie and would already apoint him the backup job. Thats exactly the way of how players are getting their confidence shattered in early years.

Edited by frankgrimes

People are seeing a few games (some good, some average at best) from a young goalie and would already apoint him the backup job. Thats exactly the way of how players are getting their confidence shattered in early years.

He didn't actually outplay Howard at all. Howard had one of his worst years last year and was still better than monster. Howard had almost no goal support while when gustavsson was in net the team scored a full goal more per game. That's the only reason why he won all those games

He didn't actually outplay Howard at all. Howard had one of his worst years last year and was still better than monster. Howard had almost no goal support while when gustavsson was in net the team scored a full goal more per game. That's the only reason why he won all those games

Not really without monster there are no playoffs

Not really without monster there are no playoffs

So your argument about how poor the team played with Howard is that we wouldn't make the playoffs without gustavsson? If we had mrazek maybe we win those games anyway. I am no hater of monster but let's be real here, he didn't outplay Howard, the team just scored more when he played cause they don't trust monster to save the puck.