• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jimmyemeryhunter

2016 World Cup of Hockey

Rate this topic

"The World Cup of Hockey is back with a new format as the NHL seeks to create the best tournament in the world to launch a series of new international events.

In the fall of 2016, the World Cup will feature a Young Stars team made up of Canadian and American players aged 23 and under along with Team Europe, a group of all-stars from countries not represented. Those teams will compete with Canada, the United States, Russia, Sweden, Finland and the Czech Republic at the Sept. 17-Oct. 1 tournament in Toronto."

I am a fan of the young all star team of sorts, will be a great showcase for those kids to show what they got. I am looking forward to this competition and curious to see if players will get as pumped as it as for say, the Olympics.

I'm a little confused on the format... Why are the semis single game elimination, but the final round is best-of-three?

Also, not really excited about either of these Young Stars and Team Europe concepts...

Glad to hear that the plan in 2020 is for a true qualification process, though.

Overall, I like this. The question is... Can they make it meaningful?

The young kid team is gonna get run over and this seems more like a jippo than anything else.

Give me the olympics instead.

Agreed. This young kid team idea is ridiculous. Team Europe without Russia, Sweden, Finland an the Czech Republic is close to a joke too. Why not fill the teams up with players from the Minor and/or teams from Europe ? It should be possible to negotiate something the SEL, DEL maybe even the KHL.

How typical for management to just mess something up totally. Under 23 NA team and an All Star Euro team?! Who cares?? I do like the idea of making the event a series of games though. Seeing Sweden take on Finland or the US take on Canada for a best of three etc sounds great. It should be the same format throughout the playoffs though, and not change from the quarterfinals, the semis and finals.

"The World Cup of Hockey is back with a new format as the NHL seeks to create the best tournament in the world to launch a series of new international events. ---> we get to control most of it and therefore the most $ that's all that bulls*** really is.

I wonder why players or fans should care against that fake competition ? The international go to event always was and always will be the olympic games. It's the best versus the best and players WANT to be there if I where a player I wouldn't even bother showing up for the World of Stupid Ideas Cup.

Agreed. This young kid team idea is ridiculous. Team Europe without Russia, Sweden, Finland an the Czech Republic is close to a joke too. Why not fill the teams up with players from the Minor and/or teams from Europe ? It should be possible to negotiate something the SEL, DEL maybe even the KHL.

Team Europe is one of the wor st ideas ever, players want to play for their country not for a continent.

I honestly believe this will turn into a the best players who want to there versus the best players who aren't chosen for the Olympics or even World Championship. ..

They probably would have put in Slovakia and Switzerland, currently ranked #7 and #8, if Slovakia hadn't been such an embarrassment in the last Olympics. Their program is f-ed up. I feel bad for Switzerland though, they've really been putting up a fight in the last few years and could upset one of the bigger countries easily.

They probably would have put in Slovakia and Switzerland, currently ranked #7 and #8, if Slovakia hadn't been such an embarrassment in the last Olympics. Their program is f-ed up. I feel bad for Switzerland though, they've really been putting up a fight in the last few years and could upset one of the bigger countries easily.

I feel bad for everyone who joins that joke of an "All Europe" team. I'm sure the players will play hard for that fake team. International tournaments are about country versus country not continent versus continent.

It's beyond stupid to not include Switzerland their league is top 3 in europe. Also just to point out how crazy that young guns team is:

McDavid and Eichel could probably play against their own country because they aren't allowed to play in the "big" team ? I really thought the World Cup would be a bad idea but hardly did I imagine the NHL would screw it up that badly. I guess Battman, Fosel, Daily and the IIHF would sell their first born if they could make a dime out of it.

Can't believe the NHLPA agreed to that crap have fun when more and more players are saying thanks but no thank you.

All just an attempt to get NHL players out of the Olympics. We already have the WC for people to not give a s*** about so not sure where this fits in. So every four years I'm supposed to not give a s*** about a different international tournament? And take NHL players out of the Olympics so I can not give a s*** about that too? Who has time to not give that much s***?

I hate the fact that Slovakia isn't getting their own team. Its a country fighting for respect in the hockey community, and even though they have won gold medals at the world championships, gotten 4th in the Olympics just 5 years ago, gotten bronze at this years world juniors etc. because of a weak showing in Sochi, they get the short end of the stick.

I hate the fact that Slovakia isn't getting their own team. Its a country fighting for respect in the hockey community, and even though they have won gold medals at the world championships, gotten 4th in the Olympics just 5 years ago, gotten bronze at this years world juniors etc. because of a weak showing in Sochi, they get the short end of the stick.

Yeah I'm sure Tatar - who deserves a spot on that team - and others are pissed about it. That country had a great showing at the WJC beat the heavily favored Swedes and develops some great talent. I mean, even if a country may not be "competitive" this is about national pride, patriotism representing your country on the international stage against the best players in the world, that's why the Olympics are such a success.

One can almost be assured a lot of players will have some "injuries" come World Cup of hockey time..

Yeah I'm sure Tatar - who deserves a spot on that team - and others are pissed about it. That country had a great showing at the WJC beat the heavily favored Swedes and develops some great talent. I mean, even if a country may not be "competitive" this is about national pride, patriotism representing your country on the international stage against the best players in the world, that's why the Olympics are such a success.

One can almost be assured a lot of players will have some "injuries" come World Cup of hockey time..

They should have just done some kind of play-in round in Europe. London probably, since Buttman probably wants to "grow the game". Seriously, how much more planning would a short qualification round take?

They should have just done some kind of play-in round in Europe. London probably, since Buttman probably wants to "grow the game". Seriously, how much more planning would a short qualification round take?

If he truely believes that gimmick will "grow the game" he and Fosel better not read any papers from other countries ... The backslash so far is amazing (travesty, bulls***, joke...) are more on the polite side...The Ryder Cup in Golf is so different because Golf isn't a team game it's a one man show instead of a team game.

Personally I still think thi is a very early april fools joke and the NHL isn't serious about this because if they are...then I honestly don't know what to say.

Edited by frankgrimes

"The World Cup of Hockey is back with a new format as the NHL seeks to create the best tournament in the world to launch a series of new international events. ---> we get to control most of it and therefore the most $ that's all that bulls*** really is.

I wonder why players or fans should care against that fake competition ? The international go to event always was and always will be the olympic games. It's the best versus the best and players WANT to be there if I where a player I wouldn't even bother showing up for the World of Stupid Ideas Cup.

Team Europe is one of the wor st ideas ever, players want to play for their country not for a continent.

I honestly believe this will turn into a the best players who want to there versus the best players who aren't chosen for the Olympics or even World Championship. ..

Historically, the World Cup of Hockey has been a meaningful event. Not as big as the Olympics, but still important to players.

It's amazing to me the amount of whining going on about the details of this event.

As a fan, I'd much rather see these rosters...

Vanek Kopitar Hossa

Boedker Neilson Gaborik

Tatar Grabovski Grabner

Zuccarello Eller Neiderreiter

Josi Chara

Ehrhoff Sekera

Sbisa Seidenberg

Halak

Andersen

Hiller

AND

Galchenyuk Nugent-Hopkins Mackinnon

Huberdeau McDavid Saad

Strome Couturier Scheifele

Gaudreau Monahan Drouin

Rielly Hamilton

Ekblad Jones

Ceci Trouba

Gibson

Fucale

Subban

Then these rosters...

Neiderreiter Andrighetto Brunner

Bartschi Bodenmann Cunti

Gardner Hollenstein Moser

Pluss Romy Suri

Streit Josi

Sbisa Weber

Mueller Diaz

Hiller

Berra

AND

Gaborik Handzus Hossa

Tatar Kopecky Panik

Jurco Surovy Bartovic

Marcinko Zaborsky Olvecky

Meszaros Chara

Sekera Marcincin

Visnovski Baranka

Halak

Budaj

I just want to see high level hockey with the best players possible.

At this point, I do not see this as a replacement for the Olympics. If that happens, my views would definitely change.

Edited by Son of a Wing

As a fan, I'd much rather see these rosters...

Vanek Kopitar Hossa

Boedker Neilson Gaborik

Tatar Grabovski Grabner

Zuccarello Eller Neiderreiter

Josi Chara

Ehrhoff Sekera

Sbisa Seidenberg

Halak

Andersen

Hiller

AND

Galchenyuk Nugent-Hopkins Mackinnon

Huberdeau McDavid Saad

Strome Couturier Scheifele

Gaudreau Monahan Drouin

Rielly Hamilton

Ekblad Jones

Ceci Trouba

Gibson

Fucale

Subban

Then these rosters...

Neiderreiter Andrighetto Brunner

Bartschi Bodenmann Cunti

Gardner Hollenstein Moser

Pluss Romy Suri

Streit Josi

Sbisa Weber

Mueller Diaz

Hiller

Berra

AND

Gaborik Handzus Hossa

Tatar Kopecky Panik

Jurco Surovy Bartovic

Marcinko Zaborsky Olvecky

Meszaros Chara

Sekera Marcincin

Visnovski Baranka

Halak

Budaj

I just want to see high level hockey with the best players possible.

And you think the players of this gimmick teams and fans should care because?

There is no national pride, patriotism involved so why should players 1. Be there and 2. Care? Also how can McDavid be prohibited from playing for his own country? Which national anthem will be played?

Players want to represent their country even if they are getting blasted by the powerhouses it's still better than playing with fake teams who aren't your country man.

It's a joke and a big middle finger to teams like Switzerland, Slovakia..

And you think the players of this gimmick teams and fans should care because? There is no national pride, patriotism involved so why should players 1. Be there and 2. Care? Also how can McDavid be prohibited from playing for his own country? Which national anthem will be played? Players want to represent their country even if they are getting blasted by the powerhouses it's still better than playing with fake teams who aren't your country man. It's a joke and a big middle finger to teams like Switzerland, Slovakia..

They care because they're professionals and they are selling themselves and the sport.

They care because they're professionals and they are selling themselves and the sport.

Sure sure playing for a fake team instead of getting ready for the season and enjoy a bit time of.

Selling the sport? Lol because playing on fake teams in plastic tournaments is going to sell the sport ...

Sure sure playing for a fake team instead of getting ready for the season and enjoy a bit time of. Selling the sport? Lol because playing on fake teams in plastic tournaments is going to sell the sport ...

Actually that's exactly what the tournament itself will do since it runs from Sept 17- Oct 1.

Gives players a high level of competition before camp starts.

It could be worse.

They could have asked Slovakia and the Czech Republic to merge as one team. Now that would make for an interesting tournament.

Or ask Germany - Austria, Sweden - Finland, Russia - Ukrain to do the same thing man that would be something..

Actually that's exactly what the tournament itself will do since it runs from Sept 17- Oct 1.

Gives players a high level of competition before camp starts.

Ok let me try it this way: how would you react if the roles were reversed ? Assume the swedish SEL would be the best league in the world...and Canada, USA would be average. Sweden then organizes a tournament where the US and CAN players are getting told well you aren't good enough but we want to market a few of your stars anyway so here is the deal: you both form one team and play as team NA (which is not a country it's a continent).

Canada and USA would rightfully think screw you guys that's not worth it.