• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
roboturner

NHL Player Tracking System

Rate this topic

This has all the familiar symptoms of a similarly bad idea that has been ridiculed for years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/new-nhl-player-tracking-system-will-revolutionize-tv-coverage--stats-015948822.html

Sportsvision, the company behind real-time tracking and graphics in NASCAR and the NFL, embedded chips inside pucks and players’ jerseys that can measure quantitative data, puck and skating speed, puck trajectory, puck and player location, and ice time.......On TV, it allows for real-time identification of players – think NASCAR, with the colored arrows pointing to the drivers – as well as real-time stats that can include skating speed, shot speed and ice time. The "casual fan" can tune in and see if Alex Ovechkin is on the ice, his real-time stats and his skating speed.

Although I don't hate the idea of this...

With laser sensors on the puck, couldn’t it aid the NHL’s hockey operations team in determining if a puck actually crossed the goal line?

In fact, it might.

“That was brought up. Something we looked at. From our standpoint, it can be an aid for the referees,” Adams said. “For shots on goal, there’s an official definition: Will it have gone in if not for the goalie? Well, we know where the puck is, we know how far away the goal is. And there are things we can automate, like if the puck was deflected by a stick above the crossbar.”

Edited by roboturner

Can it track a bad pass by a goalie?

That would be the "JUCK F***ING POTT"! ;)

In all seriousness, I do agree with roboturner that using it for determining if a puck actually crossed the goal line could be a good thing. Heck, anything to offset the incompetence of on-ice officials would be good.

I don't want to see a bunch of arrows and graphics cluttering up the screen when I'm just trying to watch the game, but this technology could open the door for a lot of real-time (or near enough) stats that commentators could utilize. It would be cool to know if Shea Weber just broke 100mph on that shot that Glendening just blocked. The trajectory thing could also help in determining if a puck was deflected before it went in the net. I can definitely see uses to this, but let's not travel back down the same road that led us to the glow-puck.

The laser sensors on the puck is a good idea, I think. They have sort of a similar system in soccer right now for determining if the ball crossed the goal line and it's pretty accurate and saves a lot of time for the refs. My question would be: With the sensors in, would they allow a goal if the puck is covered by the goalie's pads and is no longer visible but the sensors determine that the puck has crossed the goal line?

i am wondering what happened to "CATAPULT" sports.

www.catapultsports.com/united-states/

they are an Australian based tracking company that has most of the globe covered already in sports data management. this last spring they were in bed with the flyers/sabres and i was salivating waiting for the IPO to release.

This data will prove the most useful to the geeks...their system monitors heart rate, breathing, adrenaline spikes, muscle fatigue as well as impacts, speed, shots taken/received and puck tracking. (basically proving Franzen gets excited once a week for 2 mins.)

this will end up being helpful with coach decisions on line changes with real time energy levels on his bench.

this could also improve the +/- system by serving "real" results in being a part of the play, or innocent bystander.

its cutting edge...and adds new pressure to players to be accountable for something else, but i do believe it can be superficially helpful.

if you dedicate your life to being a high paid athlete...you accept the demand, and live accordingly.

Edited by luvmnger