• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

1/31 GDT : Islanders 1 vs. Red Wings 4

Rate this topic

How do people not know when there's a game on?

I can't speak for anyone else but I was aware when the game started. Unfortunately, I have nothing but studying in my foreseeable future so I will be missing several games, including this one.

And separate note, thanks to the poster above for the recap of the game. I would name you but I'm on my phone and can't scroll up to see previous messages when making a new post :/

Guest Playmaker

I can't speak for anyone else but I was aware when the game started. Unfortunately, I have nothing but studying in my foreseeable future so I will be missing several games, including this one.

And separate note, thanks to the poster above for the recap of the game. I would name you but I'm on my phone and can't scroll up to see previous messages when making a new post :/

Wasn't singling anyone out or judging, more curious than anything. Obviously, most of us can't catch every minute of every game. It just always surprises me in GDTs when people post "oh, shoot, I didn't know there was a game!" Seems like Ken and Mick mention upcoming games several times throughout the broadcast. Plus with pop ups/reminders on the phone/ipad/laptop, mentions on news/radio/ESPN/NHLN, just seems like it would be tough not to know. Maybe it's different if you live out of state.

Shehans becoming one ofMy favorite players. Tbh if we make a trade i hope to god it isnt him involved.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he's more on the untouchable side.

A 23 yr old whos already a second line center, with his size and hands, I don't think they're going to trade him.

People were saying he had given up four goals in his past few games, which is a fact.

I don't think anyone was saying that he's going to let in four goals every time he played.

They were just saying he wasn't ready to be the work horse#1 he will eventually be, which is true.

He had a good bounce back game, but he's been letting in soft goals and he cost us a win last game.

I'm glad he was solid tonight, but no one was saying he's going to let in four goals consistently.

so I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do here.

Sorry, I've been getting a lot of s*** around here lately for my opinions on Petr and Jimmy.

After his first 3 starts and posting .962, .926, and .944 SV% and only allowing 5 goals over 3 games, I was told that you can't make a proper assessment with such a small sample of games.

The next four games were pretty rough for him (no one would deny that, myself included) and a number of people had no problem making an assessment of his game seemingly using only those 4 games to do so.

I've also been told multiple times that you can't use only Goals Against and SV% and other stats to make an assessment of goalies (particularly last season when Howard was ranked so low) because those are team stats and the goalie isn't totally responsible for that, which I agree with to some extent.

But now most a lot of the criticism of Petr that I read is that his goals against and save percentage have been pretty bad the past four games.

So which is it??

Are those stats useless or not?

Is 4 games enough of a sample size or not?

P.S.

There have also been a number of blanket statements made about opinions on the forum, where a couple of people say something and someone will come back a couple of days later and go,

"Oh, everybody wanted to trade Howard a couple of games ago, now everybody wants to trade Mrazek!!! HAHA WTF LGW is REDIC!!"

which is a ridiculous thing to say when there are like 100 or more people that regularly post a and all have their own opinions about things. (Well, maybe most of them have their own opinions...)

And I'm getting really sick of people putting words in other people's mouths (mostly it's exaggerating what was said to the extreme or reading way into satements instead of just reading what was written) and then arguing with someone about something they never said in the first place.

So I thought I'd get in on the fun ;)

Having a right shot on that bottom pair directly contributed to Smith's goal. Marchenko made a play at the line to keep the puck in, and chipped in in deep on his forehand (something a lefty couldn't do) to Jurco who found Smith in good position for the one timer (something he couldn't have done if he'd been on the other side).

Good work by all involved, but having the right/left pair out there was a huge key to that goal.

What is that? 9 pts on the season for Smith? Wow, what a puck mover that kid's turned out to be...

What is that? 9 pts on the season for Smith? Wow, what a puck mover that kid's turned out to be...

Gets no PP time and plays 3rd pair minutes since he had that infection in his hand. Before that he had 6 points. He's been playing his off side for most of the season. Handles the puck with night and day difference from last year.

Very nice summary of the game, I also completely agree about Smith's first 10 games. I heard in an interview or read (not sure where) that he was really going to clean up the mistakes in his game and mentioned trying to be perfect.

Was that NYI's best effort? They weren't as impressive today as in a couple games I've seen em in. Or did the Wings just shut them down?

The Red Wings did a good job, but the Isles looked very flat for most of the game. Good thing the PP was working because without those timely goals the Isles could have worked themselves into the game. The score was close for most of the game.

Don't worry about it matt198913, the same people are going to continue to ***** about Smith, because he was a first round pick that hasn't matured quite as fast as we all thought he would. Never mind that he has taken huge strides within the last year. We should just be thankful that Holland isn't as short sighted as some fans, and Smith isn't going anywhere (unless it's in a package for a significant upgrade)... I don't expect him to ever become a top pairing defenseman, but he still has the potential (hell, I think he is right now) a very solid 2nd pairing guy, that should get more power-play time...

Another great game by Smitty and a great shot from his right side.

I really hope Holland can insert a couple righties into the lineup over the next 6 months, whether it be through trade (without Smith going the other way... and obviously Kronwall and DeKeyser aren't going anywhere), or free agency (Franson), or promotion from Grand Rapids...

I could have sworn it was decided thursday night that Mrazek was going to consitently give up 4 goals every game

You decided two games into the season Howard was awful with that infamous thread.

Besides, Mrazek was giving up four goals every game prior to the Islanders. Nobody was writing him off for life; just merely stating that he was struggling in those starts. He rebounded well yesterday and the Red Wings did a much better job of suppressing scoring chances.

You decided two games into the season Howard was awful with that infamous thread.

Besides, Mrazek was giving up four goals every game prior to the Islanders. Nobody was writing him off for life; just merely stating that he was struggling in those starts. He rebounded well yesterday and the Red Wings did a much better job of suppressing scoring chances.

Don't put facts in his mouth! He doesn't enjoy the taste

You mean I decided that he can't play the puck over the course of 5 seasons?? Is that what you're talking about? 2 games =/= 5 seasons.

And no, he wasn't giving up 4 goals every game before that.

You mean I decided that he can't play the puck over the course of 5 seasons?? Is that what you're talking about? 2 games =/= 5 seasons.

And no, he wasn't giving up 4 goals every game before that.

The same reactionary comments you are bemoaning about Mrazek are constantly perpetuated about Howard when he is healthy. I would be more likely to accept that the only thing you have against Howard is his puck-handling if your history suggested otherwise, but I think it goes well beyond that specific area. You can't be upset when people (rightfully) point out Mrazek was struggling and then do the same to Howard.

Mrazek was giving up four goals prior to the Islanders game. He got pulled allowing three on seven shots to Buffalo and then gave up four in his next two starts against Minnesota and Florida.

Edited by GoWings1905

The same reactionary comments you are bemoaning about Mrazek are constantly perpetuated about Howard when he is healthy. I would be more likely to accept that the only thing you have against Howard is his puck-handling if your history suggested otherwise, but I think it goes well beyond that specific area. You can't be upset when people (rightfully) point out Mrazek was struggling and then do the same to Howard.

Mrazek was giving up four goals prior to the Islanders game. He got pulled allowing three on seven shots to Buffalo and then gave up four in his next two starts against Minnesota and Florida.

Yeah, Mrazek was giving up alot of goals prior to the NYI game. I wonder if McCollum's play in the third period of the Tampa game made him realize he better smarten up, or it's pine time.

That was my point. As I said, People kept telling me that these types of comments are unfair when made about Howard, so I'm just a little confused that now all of these comments about Mrazek are fine.

Either it's OK to say something about the goalie's play or not, regardless of who it is.

Either you can make general decisions based on only 4 games, or you can't. Doesn't matter if they are well played or poorly played.

That was my point. As I said, People kept telling me that these types of comments are unfair when made about Howard, so I'm just a little confused that now all of these comments about Mrazek are fine.

Either it's OK to say something about the goalie's play or not, regardless of who it is.

Either you can make general decisions based on only 4 games, or you can't. Doesn't matter if they are well played or poorly played.

The comments about Mrazek are just that, comments.

Noone made a thread saying he sucked.

And he's a young goalie, we all expect him to have obstacles.

And no one is bashing him as much as you're claiming, Nor are they as harsh as you're taking it.

We all recognize he needs more time to learn.