• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

2015 Draft

Rate this topic

Yup. It is that time of year. Still a fuzz early to know where we will pick, but most of us would be safe saying between 20-30. We have 6 picks IIRC: a 1,3,4,5,6,7. No second.

As an organization we are still the weakest at F, but we are back to where there isn't a pressing need to go with a F in the 1st. That being said the talent from 20-30 kinda lends us to taking one.

So some names to watch once we are on the clock:

Jordan Greenway 6-5/225 LW He is big, strong, tough, has good skill and soft hands.

Alexander Dergechev 6-4/200 C Known for his vision, oft hands, and he uses his size to bull his way around the offensive zone.

Thomas Novek 6-1/180 C Great 2 way player, who plays with great speed and enegy. Very good play maker-average shot.

Filip Ahl 6-4/215 LW. Big hulking Swede with good skating ability and a cannon for a shot. Needs to work on his intensity and urgency on the ice.

Mackenzie Blackwood 6-4/205 G. Very athletic big G. Needs to work on his puck handling, but other than that should be a very good NHL G in about 5 years.

Those are the guys that I would be thinking about. in fact I would even go so far is to focus on Novek as the 1A with Greenway as a 1B. The RW's have shown great love for puck controlling 2 way players, and he is very good at those things. he is a guy that 3-5 years from now would be in the same range size wise as Sheehan and Larkin. 3 C's all 6-2/205 or so. Not a bad group. No true #1's but 3 guys that all could be legit #2's. Guys that also are good at getting the puck to our wingers who are/could be, very pretty good snipers: Nyquist, tatar, Pulk, mantha, etc....

I know some are going to love Ahl-the whole Swedish thing and all, but he reminds me of Franzen. What of course none of us know is, what size is his heart? No idea.

Will work my way through some other names of interest later on.

Edited by Richdg

Nice list so far. The way you describe Ahl definitely makes him sound like Franzen 2.0. I would add to that list Evgeni Svechnikov. I've seen him listed at both 6'1" 180 lbs and 6'3" 205 lbs so I'm not sure which one is true but he's a highly skilled offensive player and has already adapted to the North American game. Would be great if he's still available by the time the Wings pick.

I disagree. I think we will, like always, take the best player available, but I think we should definitely be concentrating more on defense than offense, especially in the first round. We have a few prospects (Larkin, Mantha, Athanasiou and possibly Pulkkinen) that project to be top 6 forwards, on top of an already young group (Sheahan, Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco), but only one (Sproul), maybe two (Ouellet) that project to be top 4 defenseman, to go along with DeKeyser and Smith. We picked 6 centers and a goaltender last season, we need another elite level defenseman to add to the organization. If I were Holland and co. I would try to get the best defenseman available in the first, then take the best player available in the remainder of the draft... Defense should definitely be an area we try to strengthen in June. Nicolas Meloche and Brandon Carlo are a couple players I would be watching for...

We need both-like every team does. Yes on D we need to find replacments/upgrades for: Kronwall, Ericsson, Q, and Kindl. But we do have Oullett, Sproul, Jensen, and Marchencko not far away. At F we have to replace: Z, Dat, franzen, Weiss, and Cleary. We currently have Mantha, Larkin, and Pulk as high end guys. Yes there are others in both groups that could show something down the road. Which is great. But Just looking at those that have made it to pro hockey and were our holes are over the next 5 or so seasons. Not to mention the value at each pick. The D prospects in the 20-30 range are far more limited IMHO than the guys I listed.

I disagree. I think we will, like always, take the best player available, but I think we should definitely be concentrating more on defense than offense, especially in the first round. We have a few prospects (Larkin, Mantha, Athanasiou and possibly Pulkkinen) that project to be top 6 forwards, on top of an already young group (Sheahan, Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco), but only one (Sproul), maybe two (Ouellet) that project to be top 4 defenseman, to go along with DeKeyser and Smith. We picked 6 centers and a goaltender last season, we need another elite level defenseman to add to the organization. If I were Holland and co. I would try to get the best defenseman available in the first, then take the best player available in the remainder of the draft... Defense should definitely be an area we try to strengthen in June. Nicolas Meloche and Brandon Carlo are a couple players I would be watching for...

according to Wikipedia .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NHL_Entry_Draft

Here are the following mentions of Detroit.

1. The Detroit Red Wings' third-round pick will go to the Columbus Blue Jackets as the result of a trade on June 28, 2014 that sent Edmonton's third-round pick in 2014 to Detroit in exchange for a third-round pick in 2014 and this pick.[26]
  2. The San Jose Sharks' fourth-round pick will go to the Nashville Predators as the result of a trade on June 28, 2014 that sent Detroit's second-round pick in 2014 to San Jose in exchange for a second-round pick in 2014 and this pick

I have nailed the last 2 first round picks in mantha and larkin. Novek at 6-1/180 is who I think we would take if there as of today, and he is not a big body. Average size in todays game.

"Righdg's Bid Bodied Beauties" would be a more appropriate name for this thread (and every draft thread he starts).

It's literally just, for the most part, a listing of the biggest guys. :lol:

I like Svechnikov, Meier, Boeser and Chabot.

We still have our 2nd round draft pick in this upcoming draft. We lost our 2015 3rd round pick in the deal with Columbus that moved us up to get Dominic Turgeon last year. We have 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 as far as I know.

Yup, has is bass ackwards.

I have nailed the last 2 first round picks in mantha and larkin. Novek at 6-1/180 is who I think we would take if there as of today, and he is not a big body. Average size in todays game.

Yup, has is bass ackwards.

Pretty much everyone on LGW was zeroed in on Mantha during that draft. When we actually landed him, half this board looked like geniuses, especially after we traded down.

A lot of the same with Larkin. A lot of people around here wanted (and got) the Michigan boy.

Your selections are hardly unique

I want Greenway, wow.

To be 6'5 225 at 17 years old he'll be the biggest player in the league one day. Bigger than Byfuglien, most likely.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/behemoth-2015-prospect-jordan-greenway-leads-off-the-hot-list/

Someone that big who is said to work hard and have soft hands in numerous articles seems pretty legit

I agree we need to go with a forward where were probably going to pick, unless some other d drop down wayyy past where they should.

And to rich.

Well have three big centers in sheahan, larkin, and athanasiou, one of the last two have a chance at being #1s.

But you have to think with ehn, kadeykhin, hölmstrom, and vahätalo wed be set on big centers, so who knows.

I really want hanifin.

But that's NOT happening.

I agree we need to go with a forward where were probably going to pick, unless some other d drop down wayyy past where they should.

And to rich.

Well have three big centers in sheahan, larkin, and athanasiou, one of the last two have a chance at being #1s.

But you have to think with ehn, kadeykhin, hölmstrom, and vahätalo wed be set on big centers, so who knows.

I really want hanifin.

But that's NOT happening.

People always seem to forget that we drafted almost entirely forwards/centers in the last draft. Wouldn't be surprised by a high D draft this year.

Mackenzie Blackwood is such a good name I'd draft him just for that :P

Sounds like a Game of Thrones character.

Logic tells me to take a right handed defender with the first pick, but our current needs don't necessarily reflect what our needs will be 3-4 years from now when the drafted player is developed enough to make the roster. A lot can happen between now and then.

People always seem to forget that we drafted almost entirely forwards/centers in the last draft. Wouldn't be surprised by a high D draft this year.

I didnt forget it at all, I listed most of them further down, but the d men in our range don't look to have the ceiling of the forwards we could get there.

I think we go forward in the first and d most of the other rounds.

Yes we drafted a lot of F's last year. But it is still a bit more of a need than D. But we also have to keep value in mind. Most of the F's in the area of the draft we should be picking seem to have higher upsides than the Dmen do.

No of course if we move up or down in the order that can and will impact things. Same is true with trades. if we have to move say 2 of our top D prospects to pick up a top 4 RHed D, that changes the needs overnight. The pick could also be moved-even though Holland says he will not.

Another thing to keep in mind is the overall quality of the draft. Not as good as 2013 was equal-maybe slightly better than 2014, but 2016 looks to be better than this year.

If we go forward 5-6 years, what would be the best possible lineup?

Nyquist-Larkin-Mantha

Tatar-AA-Nastisak?

Jurco-Sheehan-Pulk

McKee (I know....)-Glendening-Abby

Miller-Little Tuzzi

Dekeyser-marcenko

Smith-Jensen

Oullett-Sproul

Lashoff

Marsek

Coreu

I'm beginning to think you don't know much about our prospects Richdg... There is no way forward is our number one need of the future... Other than DeKeyser, Smith and Sproul, we don't have anyone who projects to be a top 4 defenseman. Up front we have Larkin, Mantha, Sheahan, Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Athanasiou who all project to be top 6 forwards. Nastasiuk projects to be more of a bottom 6 forward. McKee, chances are will never make this team. Marchenko projects to be a bottom pairing defenseman and you have our two most promising, Sproul and Ouellet on the third pair... Also if you're going to spend this much time to go through all this every year, why not learn how to spell our players names? And if you have trouble with the spelling, just do a quick internet search... Who are Marsek and Coreu?...

Yes we drafted a lot of F's last year. But it is still a bit more of a need than D. But we also have to keep value in mind. Most of the F's in the area of the draft we should be picking seem to have higher upsides than the Dmen do.

No of course if we move up or down in the order that can and will impact things. Same is true with trades. if we have to move say 2 of our top D prospects to pick up a top 4 RHed D, that changes the needs overnight. The pick could also be moved-even though Holland says he will not.

Another thing to keep in mind is the overall quality of the draft. Not as good as 2013 was equal-maybe slightly better than 2014, but 2016 looks to be better than this year.

If we go forward 5-6 years, what would be the best possible lineup?

Nyquist-Larkin-Mantha

Tatar-AA-Nastisak?

Jurco-Sheehan-Pulk

McKee (I know....)-Glendening-Abby

Miller-Little Tuzzi

Dekeyser-marcenko

Smith-Jensen

Oullett-Sproul

Lashoff

Marsek

Coreu

Where are you getting this from?

Everythinf I've heard is calling this the deepest draft in years.

I'll try to find the article but some are saying that you'll still be able to find first liners in the late first