• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wingsfan4life19

Report: Red WIngs interested in Franson

Rate this topic

According to Pierre Lebrun, the Red Wings are one of the teams interested in the Leafs defenceman Cody Franson:

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/690882

Franson is a 27 year old impending free agent who is rumoured to be looking for 5+ per year in FA. He has 29 points this year, and is a -7 on an awful Leafs team. Oh, and he shoots right.

The asking price is said to be a 2nd round pick and a young NHLer or good prospect.

Thoughts on if he would be a good fit? If so, what would you like the Wings to package?

I think Franson is one of those guys who could really benefit from a change of scenery. Then again, you could say that about every player on the Leafs roster. I think he is definitely a top 4 Dman and his RH shot, as well as his size, would certainly help. On this team however, he is certainly not going to out-earn Kronwall.

Personally, I never put much stock in rumors that begin with team X interested in player Y. Virtually every team is interested in adding depth to their blue line this time of year. Each GM who is preparing for a playoff push is going to be interested in each player who is remotely available to him. Therefore, of course Kenny is interested. To what degree, no one but those involved with him truly know.

Seems to be lots of reports like this floating around. I think I would rather the Wings deal with the Coyotes for Yandle or OEL. IMO Franson has still a lot to prove before he gets handed a big contract.

Moved this to the trade rumor section.

It's an interesting option, i'm not sure either how inclined Detroit would be to deal with Toronto either. I think he would fit into our top 4, depending on who was moved out for him if it wasn't solely a pick.

OEL is untouchable, I recall reading somewhere saying they refuse to trade him unless it's for Crosby. We would have to make a monster offer and give up way too many assets to bring him here. Yandle is a bit more realistic.

Moved this to the trade rumor section.

It's an interesting option, i'm not sure either how inclined Detroit would be to deal with Toronto either. I think he would fit into our top 4, depending on who was moved out for him if it wasn't solely a pick.

OEL is untouchable, I recall reading somewhere saying they refuse to trade him unless it's for Crosby. We would have to make a monster offer and give up way too many assets to bring him here. Yandle is a bit more realistic.

Coyotes GM recently said he would trade OEL although he's not actively being shopped. It wasn't that he'd trade him for Crosby or a similar deal either.

OEL always was a pipe dream from the get go. Just rewatched his interview he mentioned OEL second after Doan that cost would be high and I'd still do it

If Franson only costs a 2nd and Marchenko I'd do it he could be the big hulking defenseman we've missed since Kronwall went non kronwalling

Edited by frankgrimes

Doubt Toronto trades with a division rival but I do like the idea of him on the Wings, he could be what it takes to get E off the top line.

Kronwall, Franson

Quincey, Dekeyser

Smith, Ericsson

Ouellet

Waive Kindl.

I could live with that blue line.

And if this is the case, no way Holland makes that deal.

Agreed.

Word on the streets is that he could go for a second round pick. I think I think the only way that Franson gets moved for only a second round pick is if absolutely no one bites on trading for him at the deadline... and I think there will be buyers for him that will drive the price up. I, like you Rick, think it's going to be at least a prospect and a 2nd rounder. ...and for us, it'll definitely be more expensive.

I know Toronto fans are in "The Sky Is Falling" mode, but they really don't have a ton of great things to say about Franson. I'm sure part of it is them wanting the team to blow up and grab some assets, looking for someone to point the finger at, etc. I'm not so much worried about moving assets for Franson (I've seen 2nd + Ferraro/Callahan thrown around over at HF, which I would be comfortable with), as I am Holland paying 5+ with some term for a guy who may or may not succeed in a Top 4 role here. I think Franson is a safe bet for being a #4 guy, and I'm not sure I'd want to cough up the kind of money and term he might be looking for at this point.

I'm not worried about whether or not he would fit in with our team at all. I don't think there's any question that he would be a great fit here, but I think being able to re-sign him after this season is a legitimate concern. In saying that though, if it's only a second round pick and Ferraro (which I highly doubt would get the deal done), it's well worth it. Even if it just ends up being for the remainder of this season and post-season, he could be a huge help down the stretch and potentially help us make a decent run in the playoffs. And if we did get close or even win the Cup this season, I think he would re-sign at a reasonable contract. However, if it's a first and a higher end prospect like Athanasiou, I wait until the offseason, and try to lure him in then...

I'm not worried about whether or not he would fit in with our team at all. I don't think there's any question that he would be a great fit here, but I think being able to re-sign him after this season is a legitimate concern. In saying that though, if it's only a second round pick and Ferraro (which I highly doubt would get the deal done), it's well worth it. Even if it just ends up being for the remainder of this season and post-season, he could be a huge help down the stretch and potentially help us make a decent run in the playoffs. And if we did get close or even win the Cup this season, I think he would re-sign at a reasonable contract. However, if it's a first and a higher end prospect like Athanasiou, I wait until the offseason, and try to lure him in then...

Kind of like Mike Green? I thought we didn't like rentals? :lol:

As far as the 2nd + Ferraro/Cally thing, I'm basically going off of Toronto's rumored asking price earlier in the season. It's generally been "we'd like a 2nd for Franson" from what I've seen. I guess we'll see, because it's a matter of when, not if he's traded now.

I didn't say anything about not likely rentals, I'm really not sure where you're getting that... I've actually said numerous times that I would like a rental, as long as it doesn't involve any of our high end prospects or roster players (unless it's Kindl or Andersson...). Hence, why I would do a trade for a lower-end prospect (Ferraro) and a second or third, but not for a higher-end prospect (Athanasiou / Pulkkinen) and a first. And that goes for Franson or Green or whoever...

I didn't say anything about not likely rentals, I'm really not sure where you're getting that... I've actually said numerous times that I would like a rental, as long as it doesn't involve any of our high end prospects or roster players (unless it's Kindl or Andersson...). Hence, why I would do a trade for a lower-end prospect (Ferraro) and a second or third, but not for a higher-end prospect (Athanasiou / Pulkkinen) and a first. And that goes for Franson or Green or whoever...

Perhaps I misread some of your comments about hanging onto homegrown talent/waiting to sign guys until the off-season. My mistake.

Edit: You were talking about not moving Smith for a rental - must've been what I was thinking of.

Edited by Jesusberg