• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Babcock: "HE WINS, FULL STOP" - THN

Rate this topic

From Wikipedia,

"Although he was born inManitouwadge, Ontario, he grew up in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, which is often incorrectly listed as his birthplace. He spent the majority of his childhood moving around between Northern Ontario, Manitoba and the Northwest Territories, before his family settled in Saskatoon, which he considers his hometown."

Saskatoon is roughly the same distance from Calgary as it is to Edmonton, though Edmonton's a tiny bit closer. Looks like he was all around, though, so who knows who his childhood team was. I wonder why - A military family?

I really don't see Babcock going anywhere else. The way he speaks about the team in interviews, he just seems so personally invested in many up and coming players and very happy with the organization.

I don't think he's leaving either, just the whole thing about him being a leaf fan is silly. And Calgary didn't have a team until Babs was almost 20.

When you post these opinions constantly thread after thread after thread on a message board, you have to expect people to chime in.

I do think Babs will re-sign, but I'm definitely worried. I could see the challenge of fixing Toronto (I'm guessing the team he grew up liking being from northern Ontario) being a challenge he would want to take on. Plus, if he could go there, fix that team and take them to a cup ending the drought, that would add so much to his legacy.

Though winning with 2 generations of Wings would be pretty damn impressive to. I think he stays, I definitely don't see him going to Pittsburgh, I think he wants a challenge.

Yeah, you were convinced Datsyuk was gonna leave for Russia too. How did that work out Frank?

And in the summer where every other thread was a comment about how this team would be lucky to get 8th seed.

As far as Pasha yup and then I was really happy seeing him signing an extension here.

See I'm not the only one who is worried about him signing elsewhere. At least I didn't claim he will 100 % he will leave or stay because nobody save for Babcock and his closest friends where his mindset is.

If Toronto goes crazy in terms of money and offers him a bigger role in player decision maybe he feels confident enough to accept that huge challenge. Point being a lot of teams will show interest.

Maybe he wants a change of scenery and a huge challenge.

I've also said in the summer that I'm prepared to see him signing elsewhere if he doesn't it will be a Pasha like surprise, period but I don't need to be constantly reminded by someone who thinks - without facts - that he for sure will sign an extension and my way of thinking is wrong.

As far as the team placement goes so what? How about waiting till they've officially made them (same goes for other teams)?

Babcock at least has 10 years of prime coaching age left. Although i could see him go 65+ like Bowman did. Right now he does have options, but in my opinion his best option is to stay with the Red Wings. They have already proven to have the talent to compete for a cup, they are young and can be molded by him from the ground up. He's been with everyone of the players on his team for all or most of their career. He knows what the players he has are capable of. Winning a cup is enough of a challenge for any coach in my opinion.

He can stay with the Wings for another 5 years and cement his legacy by winning another cup. And after that he can still go to Toronto or anywhere else. He could pick and choose where to go, teams would fire practically any coach for Babcock. So why would he leave a young talent laden team like the Red Wings for another situation that is not going anywhere. That Toronto job isn't going anywhere, it's not a once in a lifetime job, he would be able to make a phone call at any point of his career and get that job. So in my opinion his best option is to stay with the Wings, develop the talent, reach the pinnacle of his profession at least one more time before moving on.

Edited by Carman

I'll just say this about coaching the best player in the league:

There's a difference between being the best player and being touted at the best player in the league.

...and when I say touted, I mean being told, over and over, crammed down our throats, despite any shortcomings he may have, marketed until we're got BEST IN THE GAME drilled into our heads...

I'm certain that while Babcock would love to coach the current "best player in the league," there's a number of factors that surround that player that would give him pause in making the move to that organization, not to mention how good he has it in Detroit.

EDIT: For the record, I think he's an amazing player, but he's still a crybaby and ******* to the zebras about non-calls and such way too much for my taste. I think it's his face. I want to punch it. Repeatedly. Everytime I see him complaining to the officials or when they pan to him complaining from the bench. FIST to FACE.

So did you dislike Yzerman? He complained to the refs at least as much as Crosby does.

As far as Pasha yup and then I was really happy seeing him signing an extension here. See I'm not the only one who is worried about him signing elsewhere. At least I didn't claim he will 100 % he will leave or stay because nobody save for Babcock and his closest friends where his mindset is. If Toronto goes crazy in terms of money and offers him a bigger role in player decision maybe he feels confident enough to accept that huge challenge. Point being a lot of teams will show interest. Maybe he wants a change of scenery and a huge challenge. I've also said in the summer that I'm prepared to see him signing elsewhere if he doesn't it will be a Pasha like surprise, period but I don't need to be constantly reminded by someone who thinks - without facts - that he for sure will sign an extension and my way of thinking is wrong. As far as the team placement goes so what? How about waiting till they've officially made them (same goes for other teams)?

Don't act like you come on here and make reasonable posts like "I believe there's a 10% chance he leaves us for the Leafs" you come on and say things like "It looks like Datsyuk will be leaving for Russia" and "I expect Babcock wants to coach the Leafs" implying that you believe the majority chance is that those things will happen. No one here has said Babcock is 100% saying. I believe there's a 10% chance he leaves, and about a 1% chance it's for the Leafs. Hence why I expect he'll probably stay here.

I thought at one point there was maybe a 10-20% chance he'd leave, maybe 50-50 if I was being really, really, really generous to pessimism, but at this point, I think it's 100% that Babcock is staying.

Edited by gcom007

I think coaching an above average AHL roster and grooming them into full blown NHL players the last two years and still winning with your best players injured for most of last season was a bigger challenge AND accomplishment than coaching a team that has stacked up 1st round draft picks (Phil Kessel, van Riemsdyk, Lupul, Phaenuf, Bernier). Trust me, the Maple Leafs would be less of a challenge than what he did with the Red Wings roster and grooming.

Plus, I don't see whats so appealing to go to a franchise that has a tendency to fire coaches where in Detroit he's got job security and loyalty from management, players and fans. Who knows.

Detroit is a well oiled machine, TO is a mess and has been a mess since Roenick took them out pre-lockout. IF Babcock went there and fixed things, I think that would be looked at by the majority/mainstream as a bigger accomplishment. (not saying it is, talking about perception here)

With that being said, I dont want him to go to TO and I dont think he will go to TO. But I'd be lying if there wasn't a small part of me that is a bit worried.

Well we could also take the Illitch influence under consideration. Under the Illitch ownership, Detroit has managed to bring in some of the best of coaches/managers who have eventually retired with our franchises (Red Wings and Tigers). We brought in Jim Leyland and Scotty Bowman and they both ended their careers here. If history is going to repeat itself, I'd be willing to put money that Babcock retires as a Wings coach as well.

Perhaps there is something about the Illitch family and the offers they make that simply can't be refused?

Edited by kickazz

I think if not for the success and quick acclimation of the kids who were called up last season it would be a much more difficult decision for Babcock. He still has options to consider but I can't think of another team with a coaching need that would be more desirable to a coach of his status. Pittsburgh, maybe. I just don't think that team would offer any greater challenges than staying in Detroit.

Edited by Wings_Toledo

I sounds like Babcock is more interested in staying than leaving.

And. for all the posts about Cleary taking the place of a developing, younger player, I like what Babcock said:

"Dan Cleary is part of that [the leadership group] just with what he does with our young guys, mentoring our young people."

But he still has these states:

Alabama; Arkansas; Washington, D.C.; Guam; Hawaii; Kentucky; Montana; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; Ohio; Texas; Vermont; Virginia; West Virginia; and Wyoming.

Only 4 of which have hockey teams..

wait, wtf are we talking about again?

It's illegal in most states so I hope not

Alabama; Arkansas; Washington, D.C.; Guam; Hawaii; Kentucky; Montana; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; Ohio; Texas; Vermont; Virginia; West Virginia; and Wyoming.

& only 15 of which are states :P

Haha

Most of these states don't surprise me

I dont think Babcock's decision to re-sign or not will be a financial one. It will be about how much influence he wants and what type of challenge he is looking for.

Detroit will match any reasonable figure imo. But I do think that Babs would like more roster influence than Holland gives him currently. I also think he might be looking for a new challenge but then again it would mean sacrificing stability and moving his family.

Honestly, I think he's staying. Some of his quotes lately (in the NHL.com article) have reflected a sense of optimism regarding the current roster, and the future of some of the younger guys. More than anything, I think Babcock wants to win. If he believes he can win with this team (which seems more likely now than ever), he's not going anywhere.

I also thought his quote about the Stadium Series was a bit telling:

"I know I was really excited for myself, for my franchise, when we got the opportunity because to me it keeps your logo front and center," Babcock said. "Outdoor games are a great, great experience. We've been fortunate enough to be involved in (two) and enjoyed it very much. I think it's another way to break up the season and it's going to be in a beautiful city. It's going to be a lot of fun."