• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nightfall

ESPN 30 for 30 - Of Miracles and Men

Rate this topic

For those of you who haven't seen this yet, its a great documentary from the Russian point of view on the rise of Russian hockey back in the 60s-90s. It features Red Wing greats like Fetisov, Larionov, and the rest of the Russian five. I found this story to be excellent! Obviously, there is a lot of interviews and footage about the 1980 Olympic team and the fallout from losing to the Americans.

It was two hours long and I found a copy on youtube. If you get a chance to watch this, please do so. ESPN is running reruns of this if you have a DVR.

Offering a fascinating window into the other side of the so-called “Miracle on Ice,” ESPN’s “30 for 30” outdoes itself with “Of Miracles and Men,” which looks at the astonishing 1980 Olympic upset in Lake Placid not from the perspective of the U.S. team but rather that of the seemingly unbeatable Soviet juggernaut. Essentially a protracted history of hockey within the Soviet Union – and by extension, the importance of sports under the regime – it’s a story replete with remarkable subplots and intriguing characters. Given how rarely ESPN adorns itself with journalistic honor, these gold-worthy docs remain their own minor miracle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmdb3PkGLd0

Edited by Nightfall

Guest Playmaker

I saw it and think it was good overall, but there was something missing or off about it. Can't put my finger on it. Too long or too short or too much drama, not enough drama? I don't know. Hard not to be in awe of Slava Fetisov though.