Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Hull
Kozlov - Larionov - Fedorov
Probert - Draper - Holmstrom

Lidstrom - Chelios
Coffey - Murphy
Kronwall - Konstantinov

Hasek
Osgood

Wings must have one of the strongest all-time team. Surely, this team would dominate in todays NHL?

Avery - Williams - Cleary

Brunnstrom - Sillinger - Brunner

Grimson - Roest - Crowder

McRae - Habscheid - Downey

Kuznetsov- Melrose

Commodore - Carkner

Bykov - Pushor

Essensa

Riendeau

Coach: Harkness

That roster could still beat the Maple Leafs.

Edited by TheXym

Kuznetsov- Melrose

Commodore - Carkner

Bykov - Pushor

Essensa

Riendeau

Beat me to it..... We're is Lebda?

Kuznetsov- Melrose

Commodore - Carkner

Bykov - Pushor

Essensa

Riendeau

What no Mark Mowers and where is Derek Meech

I think someone, to be on an all-time team should have spent at LEAST three years on a team. Brett Hull thus not eligible. Hasek marginally so.

Brett Hull was on the Wings for 3 seasons exactly, but I get your point.

Shanahan - Yzerman - Fedorov

Lindsay - Delvecchio - Howe

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Abel

Probert - Draper - Mahovlich

Lidstrom - Kelly

Konstantinov - Chelios

Larson - Kronwall

Sawchuk

Osgood

Edited by kliq

Kuznetsov- Melrose

Commodore - Carkner

Bykov - Pushor

Essensa

Riendeau

I would pay a s*** load of money to watch that team play. :lol: They'd easily be the toughest team in the league.

Brett Hull was on the Wings for 3 seasons exactly, but I get your point.

Shanahan - Yzerman - Fedorov

Lindsay - Delvecchio - Howe

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Abel

Probert - Draper - Mahovlich

Lidstrom - Kelly

Konstantinov - Chelios

Larson - Kronwall

Sawchuk

Osgood

So you think Kris Draper is a better player than Norm Ullman? Interesting. And Pronovost doesn't get enough love either. He's a better defenseman than several of the players you listed.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I know Probert was a crowd favorite, but I probably wouldn't put him on an All-Time Greatest Wings team. Looking at the career Red Wings leaders, I think an All-Time Wings team should include:

Forwards:

Yzerman, Howe, Lindsay, Abel, Shanahan, Delvecchio, Fedorov, Ullman, Datsyuk, Zetteberg, Draper, and Holmstrom

Defense:

Lidstrom, Larson, Pronovost, Kelly, Kronwall, and Chelios

Goalies:

Sawchuk, Osgood

You can set the lines anyway you want :)

As much as I wanted to put Konstantinov on the team, it's not his fault, but he only played 6 years, Chelios played 10 as a Wing as was one of the all-time greats. Also, Draper and Holmstrom made the team due to them playing 1,000 games and being on 4 Cup winning teams. If people want more skilled players, that's fine.

Interesting debate.

Edit:

Ok, you twisted my arm, I'll set lines:

Shanahan-Yzerman-Fedorov

Lindsay-Abel-Howe

Zetterberg-Delvecchio-Datsyuk

Ullman-Draper-Holmstrom

Lidstrom-Larson

Kelly-Pronovost

Chelios-Kronwall

Sawchuk

Osgood

I'll let guys who know each other play on the same line. How could I break up the Production Line, and the 1998 Playoffs top line of Shanny-Stevie-Feds?

Edited by Barrie

So you think Kris Draper is a better player than Norm Ullman? Interesting. And Pronovost doesn't get enough love either. He's a better defenseman than several of the players you listed.

I never said that, please dont put words in my mouth. This is my personal all time team, I will fully admit that I am a huge fan of Kris Draper and wanted him to centre my 4th line. This isn't a list ranking the all time forwards 1-12. Same goes for Probert, I doubt he is a top 12 all time wing, but I wanted him on my 4th line.

Pronvost is better then "several" of the D-men I listed? Who? Not Lidstrom, not Kelly, not Chelios (especially if you are taking his peak). Konstantinov I feel would have gone down as one of the best ever if not for the accident, I wasn't going to hold that against him. The guy was second to Lidstrom in Norris voting the year before the accident.

Kronwall wont get the respect he deserves until after he retires, but im sure there is a debate there. Larson was definitely better offensively then Pronvost. Larson had 570 points in 708 games, Pronvost had 297 points in 983 games. I know its not all about offense, but it has to play a large part.

Not saying that Pronvost doesn't deserve to be top 6, but to say he is ahead of "several" I believe is an exaggeration.

Same goes for Probert, I doubt he is a top 12 all time wing, but I wanted him on my 4th line.

Right, to each their own. I'd pass on Probert because, going up against other All-Time Great Teams, I'd be worried he may take a stupid penalty in a close game.

Konstantinov I feel would have gone down as one of the best ever if not for the accident, I wasn't going to hold that against him. The guy was second to Lidstrom in Norris voting the year before the accident.

That's what makes Konstantinov so tough to leave off the team eh? Who knows?

Way too many greats to choose from, so I'm going to make two teams... And still there are a lot of pretty good players left out...

Brendan Shanahan - Steve Yzerman - Brett Hull

Vyacheslav Kozlov - Igor Larionov - Sergei Fedorov

Henrik Zetterberg - Pavel Datsyuk - Tomas Holmstrom

Bob Probert - Kris Draper - Dino Ciccarelli

Ray Sheppard - Darren McCarty

Nicklas Lidstrom - Vladimir Konstantinov

Paul Coffey - Chris Chelios

Matthew Schneider - Brian Rafalski

Niklas Kronwall

Dominik Hasek

Chris Osgood

Ted Lindsay - Alex Delvecchio - Gordie Howe

Syd Howe - Sid Abel - Norm Ullman

Frank Mahovlich - Marcel Dionne - Mickey Redmond

Gerard Gallant - Dale McCourt - John Ogrodnick

Jimmy Carson - Nick Libett

Red Kelly - Marcel Pronovost

Mark Howe - Reed Larson

Willie Huber - Larry Murphy

Gary Bergman

Terry Sawchuk

Glenn Hall

I never said that, please dont put words in my mouth. This is my personal all time team, I will fully admit that I am a huge fan of Kris Draper and wanted him to centre my 4th line. This isn't a list ranking the all time forwards 1-12. Same goes for Probert, I doubt he is a top 12 all time wing, but I wanted him on my 4th line.

Pronvost is better then "several" of the D-men I listed? Who? Not Lidstrom, not Kelly, not Chelios (especially if you are taking his peak). Konstantinov I feel would have gone down as one of the best ever if not for the accident, I wasn't going to hold that against him. The guy was second to Lidstrom in Norris voting the year before the accident.

Kronwall wont get the respect he deserves until after he retires, but im sure there is a debate there. Larson was definitely better offensively then Pronvost. Larson had 570 points in 708 games, Pronvost had 297 points in 983 games. I know its not all about offense, but it has to play a large part.

Not saying that Pronvost doesn't deserve to be top 6, but to say he is ahead of "several" I believe is an exaggeration.

You're making a mistake I used to make. Looking at scoring stats despite eras. Defensemen weren't scoring that much in those days. Doug Harvey only scored 50 points in a season once. I suppose Mike Green is better than him? How about Phil Housley being better than Eddie Shore? I think not.

Forget the points. Pronovost is in the HHOF. Larsson isn't even close. Kronwall won't even come close either. Konstantinov had his career ended early so we'll never know.

Pronovost is easily below Lidstrom and Kelly, but I'd rank him above those other defensemen on your list. Now Chelios is way higher all time than Pronovost, but he was past his peak in Detroit (albeit still solid defensively).

Edited by GMRwings1983

Kuznetsov- Melrose

Commodore - Carkner

Bykov - Pushor

Essensa

Riendeau

LOL great roster. Dig how you added Bobblin' Bob. Just thinking about his time on the Wings makes me laugh. Funny how he was actually nominated for the Vezina once.

Way too many greats to choose from, so I'm going to make two teams... And still there are a lot of pretty good players left out...

Niklas Kronwall

Dominik Hasek

Chris Osgood

Mark Howe - Reed Larson

Gary Bergman

Terry Sawchuk

Glenn Hall

You're modern team is top shelf perfect. Thank you for putting Shneider on there, he was awesomely clutch and highly underrated. An enormous reason why we didn't get past the #ucks in 07 was his injury.

Since you have the Russian 4 on there I would say try to add an in his prime Fetisov. The guy could control a game from the back end.

You're making a mistake I used to make. Looking at scoring stats despite eras. Defensemen weren't scoring that much in those days. Doug Harvey only scored 50 points in a season once. I suppose Mike Green is better than him? How about Phil Housley being better than Eddie Shore? I think not.

Forget the points. Pronovost is in the HHOF. Larsson isn't even close. Kronwall won't even come close either. Konstantinov had his career ended early so we'll never know.

Pronovost is easily below Lidstrom and Kelly, but I'd rank him above those other defensemen on your list. Now Chelios is way higher all time than Pronovost, but he was past his peak in Detroit (albeit still solid defensively).

I am not making that mistake, statistics are something I actually know very well. I completely understand the "era" argument, its one I have made myself on this board.

If you want to put Pronvost on your team, go for it. I'm not arguing against it.

I never got to see the guy play in person, I have never watched a game he played in on TV, I have never even seen a highlight of him. Anything I know about him is based on other people's opinions from what I have read. His point totals appear good, but from comparing him to other top defenseman of his era, he doesn't seem elite (offensively). Even in his career year, Doug Harvey had almost 50% more point then him and his teamate Red Kelly had about 30% more points.

The HHOF fame argument is also a tough one due to the era. To be in the HHOF back in the 50's you just had to be one of the best players in North America. Now, you have to be one of the best players in the world. To put this in perspective, I'm sure if Kronwall played in the Swedish elite league today, and it was only swedes that played in it, he would be the best or close to it D-man in the league. A similar situation that Pronvost was in, in the 50's.

At the end of the day, I dont know much about Pronvost and he very well could be deserving of a top 6 spot. But im not going to give him that spot just because someone else tells me I should. Its not as if I am writing a book here and am doing hours of research. This is a list I came up with off the top of my head in 5min to have some fun.

I am not making that mistake, statistics are something I actually know very well. I completely understand the "era" argument, its one I have made myself on this board.

If you want to put Pronvost on your team, go for it. I'm not arguing against it.

I never got to see the guy play in person, I have never watched a game he played in on TV, I have never even seen a highlight of him. Anything I know about him is based on other people's opinions from what I have read. His point totals appear good, but from comparing him to other top defenseman of his era, he doesn't seem elite (offensively). Even in his career year, Doug Harvey had almost 50% more point then him and his teamate Red Kelly had about 30% more points.

The HHOF fame argument is also a tough one due to the era. To be in the HHOF back in the 50's you just had to be one of the best players in North America. Now, you have to be one of the best players in the world. To put this in perspective, I'm sure if Kronwall played in the Swedish elite league today, and it was only swedes that played in it, he would be the best or close to it D-man in the league. A similar situation that Pronvost was in, in the 50's.

At the end of the day, I dont know much about Pronvost and he very well could be deserving of a top 6 spot. But im not going to give him that spot just because someone else tells me I should. Its not as if I am writing a book here and am doing hours of research. This is a list I came up with off the top of my head in 5min to have some fun.

Fair enough. I never said Pronovost was better than Kelly or Harvey, though. Those guys should be ahead of him offensively. I never saw either him or Reed Larsson play. Hell, I never saw Eddie Shore play. I just don't know how a decent offensive d-man can be ranked ahead of a Hall of Famer who is more highly considered past and present.

The OP didn't really explain whether the list is intended as subjective or objective. My point is, if it's objective, guys like Ullman and Pronovost should be on it. If It's subjective, then guys like Lilja and Grimson should be on it.

LOL great roster. Dig how you added Bobblin' Bob. Just thinking about his time on the Wings makes me laugh. Funny how he was actually nominated for the Vezina once.

I had to throw Bobblin' Bob IT'SINTHERE between the pipes. I should have had Meech and Lebda in there as well, but I was thinking truculence and trying to go vary the eras a little bit since I started watching the Wings in the 80's.

I would rather see Tim Cheveldae in net...

I considered Tim Cheveldae, but I couldn't bump Bobblin' Bob from the starter spot. No way Tim plays backup. It has to be Cheveldae, everyday or not at all. ;).

Fair enough. I never said Pronovost was better than Kelly or Harvey, though. Those guys should be ahead of him offensively. I never saw either him or Reed Larsson play. Hell, I never saw Eddie Shore play. I just don't know how a decent offensive d-man can be ranked ahead of a Hall of Famer who is more highly considered past and present.

The OP didn't really explain whether the list is intended as subjective or objective. My point is, if it's objective, guys like Ullman and Pronovost should be on it. If It's subjective, then guys like Lilja and Grimson should be on it.

Niklas Kronwall

Dominik Hasek

Chris Osgood

Mark Howe - Reed Larson

Gary Bergman

Terry Sawchuk

Glenn Hall

That's probably the best way to do it due to both the huge differences between eras and the vast number of great players the Wings have been fortunate to have on their roster. I mean, how many other teams would have the alumni for two games at a Winter Classic that were actually higher end when they played?