• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sherwood40

Next Number to be retired

Rate this topic

Do anyone think there are any current or past members of the Wings that Detroit would retire there number up into the rafters?

Although Zetterberg and Datsyuk are great players and fun to watch are they good enough to be along side Howe, Yzerman, Lidstrom etc?

When Godström got his number retired I knew it would be a very long time till we might see someone up there again (I'm talking about decades not years here).

In terms of history this proud franchise has seen so many all time greats which really set the bar enormously high.

To answer the question no both aren't this good. Z and Pasha possess a higher chance at the hall of fame than getting their numbers retired maybe some sort like Calgary's ring of honor.

Guest Playmaker

I think it's a different perspective depending on the generation you're from. A lot of the younger Wings fans now have little recollection of Yzerman, Fedorov, etc. They don't know the frustration of having no hope of seeing the playoffs, of losing year after year or wondering what it might be like to win the Stanley Cup or imagining what it would be like to have talented players on your team. I also think time can alter perspectives. Some players who weren't that good seem like gods and others who were really good, we forget just how great they were. Off ice things contribute to how a player is perceived as well.

So what I'm getting at is, those under say 30 think winning Stanley Cups is just the norm and the Wings should be in it every single year. Those same fans are probably used to numbers being retired on a regular basis and it will seem like a ho hum event as opposed to a once in a lifetime type of thing. So younger fans might tend to think 13 and 40 should go into the rafters because they are the best that they have seen.

I tend to always underestimate D and Z because they never seem to put up the big numbers. But yet when you look at the all time great Red Wings, they both seem to be in the mix point wise.

If Zetterberg leads the Wings to a few more cups, then maybe. But that's a pretty big "if" and "maybe"

Currently, there is no one else even close.

I'm going to go with Mrazek as my outside chance, dark horse pick.

I don't think they necessarily have to be as good as Yzerman, Howe, etc (that's a pretty high standard) but I think the important thing is they led the team through a pretty important transition period for us and did an amazing job at it. One more cup would be nice though.

It's a no brainer that #91 is going up. It doesn't matter what happened in the past, the realtionship is smoothed over. Sergei is part of the Alumni Association, he has close relationships with the upper brass again. Not that they are best buddies, but I do believe any hard feelings between the two parties are far over. Without getting into the debate of the contract offer, then the lessor offer later, it was more the organization's fault for Sergei leaving, than Sergei just wanting to go. No one can deny that without Sergei, we don't win any of those Cups...maybe 2002, but even then, he was a very instrumental in winning that Cup. IMO, no Fedorov, no Cups. #91 goes to the rafters, it's the right thing to do.

Fedorov deserves it, especially now that the relationship with the brass is smoothed over, although it may not be until Mike Ilitch passes. When it was crunch time, FedEx delivered.

Comparing the eras is tough. I think if Pav and Z get one more cup they will get it, otherwise it is going to be iffy. As has been said, they are doing a pretty darn good job of leading the Wings through what could have been a nightmarish transition period.

Edited by TheXym

13 and 40 both. They're generational players.

While being great players neither are in that echelon of the others who had there numbers retired. They are like Shanny only Shanny has 3 cups. Just because they are the best players of this generation of Wings doesnt mean they are all time greats.

Many people have argued that 13 is the best player in the league (more often a few years ago). Why would he not be up there? He hasn't put up huge number, but he's one of the best 2-way players of all-time, life-time Wing. I also think Z gets up there for similar reasons.

I also think that 91 should be up there. From our recent golden age, the players you most associate (and most responsible) are 19-91-5. Get him up there.

The next best shot on this current roster is #40 followed by #13. Captain status is a big deal in this franchise and almost all the players on that rafter were former captains. Z's going to need at least another cup.

On paper they both deserve it. Pav is number 6 on all time point list and Z is number 7. Both surpassed Ted Lindsay and will probably surpass Federov in the next few seasons. Z currently is on the verge of breaking Yzermans all time playoff goal record. The point is, if were looking at franchise records both will end up somewhere as number 4/5 all time followed by Zetterberg having the possibility of being All time #1 in playoff numbers. Nothing is certain until both of them retire and hope their health lives up to their contracts.

I believe Datsyuk is a lock for the Hall of Fame -- he is regarded by many of his peers (and has been for many years) as the best and most-respected player in the NHL. Z has a shot at the Hall if he plays out the remainder of his contract as captain and stays relatively healthy, and even moreso if he raises the Cup another time or two.

As for retiring their numbers, I think both guys will get that, and strong chance for Fedorov as well -- he was the best player in the game for a while, and (like Datsyuk) the best two-way player in the game for a long while.

What's Detroit's criteria, that's the question. BTW, NOT what we think it is but the actual criteria.

Doubt there really is any hard criteria. I think Devellano said Aurie isn't up there because he's not in the HoF, so maybe that. But most likely it's just having enough guys up top thinking someone's "special". Kelly could be there with the other greats from the 50's dynasty. Fedorov also has a strong case. Doubt either will happen.

Personally I don't think they should be. Not really sure Abel, Lindsay, and Delvecchio belong there either. Howe, Lidstrom and Sawchuk are all considered among the very best few to ever play at their positions. Yzerman was such a beloved icon for the franchise, and blasphemous as it may be to say I think he's borderline. It's that kind of stuff that should get you in the rafters, not just being a great player and winning some Cups.