• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sherwood40

Next Number to be retired

Rate this topic

People tend to forget Zetterberg's 2008 playoff performance when he literally shut down the top 2 players in the world (Crosby/Malkin) AND set the franchise record for most points in a playoff season AND won the Conn Smyth. Z may no longer be a top 10 player but he sure as hell was the top player of his position that year and arguably the top 3 player of his position in the latter part of last decade. Add the cherry on top, he's the captain of one of the most successful franchises in NHL. They could not have set it up for him any better. If he doesn't make the rafters after those feats + his commitment of a lifelong contract on this franchise, then I highly doubt we will see any more jersey retirements anytime in the future. And I really don't even need to make a case for Datsyuk. The only thing holding his situation back is if he parts ways from Detroit. MAYBE.

Additionally people tend to forget that Federov did everything he did on an extremely stacked roster - a pre salary cap era. Don't get me wrong Federov was an outright beast of a player. But his feats were supportable by Yzerman, Lidstrom, Shanahan, Russian 5, and much much more. Who did Pav or Hank have to support their feats? an aging Lidstrom?

And even if we forget all these numbers. Z and Pav are adored by fans and the management. Babcocks called Z "the coaches son" type of player after he signed his major contract in 2009. If anything Z/Pav have a better shot at it than number 91; they're on excellent terms with the franchise and fans. But I do wish Feds gets it as well.

Edited by kickazz

People tend to forget Zetterberg's 2008 playoff performance when he literally shut down the top 2 players in the world (Crosby/Malkin) AND set the franchise record for most points in a playoff season AND won the Conn Smyth. Z may no longer be a top 10 player but he sure as hell was the top player of his position that year and arguably the top 3 player of his position in the latter part of last decade. Add the cherry on top, he's the captain of one of the most successful franchises in NHL. They could not have set it up for him any better. If he doesn't make the rafters after those feats + his commitment of a lifelong contract on this franchise, then I highly doubt we will see any more jersey retirements anytime in the future. And I really don't even need to make a case for Datsyuk. The only thing holding his situation back is if he parts ways from Detroit. MAYBE.

Additionally people tend to forget that Federov did everything he did on an extremely stacked roster - a pre salary cap era. Don't get me wrong Federov was an outright beast of a player. But his feats were supportable by Yzerman, Lidstrom, Shanahan, Russian 5, and much much more. Who did Pav or Hank have to support their feats? an aging Lidstrom?

And even if we forget all these numbers. Z and Pav are adored by fans and the management. Babcocks called Z "the coaches son" type of player after he signed his major contract in 2009. If anything Z/Pav have a better shot at it than number 91; they're on excellent terms with the franchise and fans. But I do wish Feds gets it as well.

Like I said both players (Z and Pasha) should be honored in some form but rafters alongside such alltime greats may be pushing it, which really isn't a knock against either one the bar is so incredible high - as it should be - I really believe it will be a long time till we see someone getting this honor again.

Looking at the respective careers and other honors awarded to the players whose numbers have been retired by the Red Wings so far I'd have to say that no one on the current roster even comes close. Zetterberg and Datsyuk are GREAT players and will be remembered by this generation of fans forever but I can't honestly say that I think they deserve to have their numbers retired.

That being said, the criteria for having one's number retired will ultimately have to change with this new era where career point totals are bound to be lower and the league does everything it can to make parity reign supreme.

Fedorov will not go up. He may have smoothed over relations with the club, but I don't think he can recover back to where he would be put in the rafters. It's the right precedent to set.

Z and Pav have not earned it yet. Yzerman and Lidstrom brought the team out of obscurity and made it a premiere hockey club where free agents wanted to play. They built a dynasty with 3 and 4 cups each. Z and Pav are far from that type of accomplishment. I think to be in the rafters it takes more than goals and assists. It requires the player to elevate the club to new heights and make a massive contribution.

I think Datsyuk will be the next to go up. Everyone keeps comparing him against Yzerman, Lidstrom, and Howe, when the guys he should be compared to are Abel, Lindsey and Delvecchio. I think Datsyuk is an elite talent, and is a generational player in an age where to be amongst the best is very hard. I look forward to the day that his jersey is raised to the rafters.

Z and Pav have not earned it yet. Yzerman and Lidstrom brought the team out of obscurity and made it a premiere hockey club where free agents wanted to play. They built a dynasty with 3 and 4 cups each. Z and Pav are far from that type of accomplishment. I think to be in the rafters it takes more than goals and assists. It requires the player to elevate the club to new heights and make a massive contribution.

Not fair at all to compare to different era's like that. Its not D & Z's fault that when they were rookies the team was good. Also not their fault that they play in the salary cap era. While I love Yzerman & Lidstrom (my fav player of all time, my fav D-man of all time), they were lucky to play in an era were we had a leg up on alot of the teams in the league with our resources.

I feel the same way about the Howe era, not fair to compare. WAY less teams back then, to win a cup was so much easier. Plus, those guys didn't even play against the best in the world. Not putting down Howe and co. at all, they were great players, just saying you cant compare accomplishments in different era's.

Edited by kliq

Like I said both players (Z and Pasha) should be honored in some form but rafters alongside such alltime greats may be pushing it, which really isn't a knock against either one the bar is so incredible high - as it should be - I really believe it will be a long time till we see someone getting this honor again.

I feel like that would be a slap in the face. Either retire their jersey, or don't. We don't have a ring on honor. To create a separate "category" for just D & Z would would seem patronizing to them. Its like we are saying "We want to honor you, but just a little bit. Not to the level of the real greats"

I think they have earned it. Yzerman scored plenty of points but the Red Wings didn't gain success until their roster was STACKED. This didn't happen till around the 90s and it only became better when Scotty Bowman came into the picture. Yzerman was a 90 point scorer for almost 8 years before the Red Wings even made the playoffs.. His numbers increased further when we signed the Russian 5 and Lidstrom. The point is. it's easy to be deceived by the franchise success. The truth of the matter is Yzerman, Feds, Lidstrom all had each other and MUCH more WITHOUT a salary cap. Hence their success. I'm not saying these guys werent good players. All im saying is; they were basically given a platter and they sure as hell ate their way through it to success. Is there anything wrong with that? No. That's simply how the 80s/90s era of hockey was. Stacked rosters and success.

Put it in perspective in mid 2000s to current day. NHL has a stringent salary cap. The game has evolved to a point where putting up big numbers doesn't necessarily get you a Stanley cup. Z and Pav basically carry this team by molding their wingers. Their support consists of above average AHL players who were recently molded into NHL players. Even in the 2008 stanely cup, Z, Pav and Lidstrom were the big names you heard of. Compare that to the 2002 pre salary cap run. Names like Shanahan, Lidstrom, Federov, Robataille, Hull, Yzerman are mentioned. Its INCOMPARABLE!

What I'm trying to say is. Z/Pav do what they do with much less help than what Federov and Yzerman had. If Z and Pav win another cup with the current roster; in my mind they accomplished much more than what the previous greats accomplished. Remember that Gordie Howe had his Ted Lindsay, Sid Abel, and Alex Delveccio. Yzerman had his Federov, Shanahan and Lidstrom. But all Pav and Z have is a bunch of "Above average" NHL youngsters and basically each other.

Putting things into perspective. It makes you realize just how different these guys have it than what the previous legends had.

Edited by kickazz

I feel like that would be a slap in the face. Either retire their jersey, or don't. We don't have a ring on honor. To create a separate "category" for just D & Z would would seem patronizing to them. Its like we are saying "We want to honor you, but just a little bit. Not to the level of the real greats"

We don't have a ring of honor, but there are numbers the team has taken out of circulation. That's very similar to a ring of honor, in that the organization finds a way around having to actually retire the jersey.

We don't have a ring of honor, but there are numbers the team has taken out of circulation. That's very similar to a ring of honor, in that the organization finds a way around having to actually retire the jersey.

From what I have read, the only number taken out of circulation that is not retired is Konstantinov's which is obviously a unique situation.

Osgood, and nobody else. Chris Osgood is one of the ten best players to ever play his position. He's got the longevity, the hardware, and the numbers. There's no objective measure of an excellent goalie that he doesn't possess in spades.

Otherwise, I can't think of anybody else that deserves it.

Osgood, and nobody else. Chris Osgood is one of the ten best players to ever play his position. He's got the longevity, the hardware, and the numbers. There's no objective measure of an excellent goalie that he doesn't possess in spades.

I'm thinking Hasek. Buffalo already retired his number and he didn't even win a cup with them.

I'm thinking Hasek. Buffalo already retired his number and he didn't even win a cup with them.

Retiring Hasek's number is a lot like retiring Chelios' number. Clearly they're both deserving of the honor, but just not for this team (IMO).

:lol:

Yeah the Flames, Leafs (?), Canucks and Coyotes come to mind. Of course stuff like this would have to be created way before both are retiring. Also not getting your number retired in such a storied franchise is far from a knock against the players, both are absolute role models and have been a huge part of this organization they just aren't that setting the bar for generations to come level...that guys like Howe, The Captain, Godström and Sawchuck ... were.

Hot new prospect out of the Swedish Elite League. He's only 190 lbs. Though so he's not worth a second look.

Oh he's a foreigner? I likely wouldn't feel very connected to the team if we drafted someone like that anyway

I thought it was a reference to Lidstrom being godlike on defense, and the umlaut was because he was so awesome that he was f'n metal. \m/

I guess McCarty should have an umlaut over the A?

Being in the rafters is very, very rarefied air. And I would hope to keep it that way. I wouldn't have any considerations of anyone as of right now. The only possibilities are with Dats and Z depending how long and how prosperous their careers carry on-and it looks doubtful right now. IMO...it's a slippery slope to start making stretches on players being in the rafters if it's not a dead on LOCK. The criteria, the numbers, the intangibles, fan perception, etc.. then become relevant arguments. If it's not a "no brainer", then the answers NO. If you put Fedorov up there, then you'll have people asking why Shanny isn't up there, or Ozzy...and on-and-on it will go.

btw...I have hopes that this organization will be around in 50-100 years from now, so is there a rush to start filling the rafters??

BTW, for those people who think Shanny's number should be up there, Derek f*****g Meech wore that number since Shanny left.

You think the Wings take that number seriously?

At least Nyquist is a good player, but no, the Wings are not retiring that number.

If Zetterberg can captain us to a cup I think he will get his. I think Datsyuk will be deserving, and I personally would, but for some reason feel like the Wings won't retire 13.

They seem to have a bias for retiring former captains. Literally all the numbers up there were captains at some point except Sawchuck.

Edited by kickazz