• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeonardSankar

Preferred Playoff Opponents?

Rate this topic

I haven't seen many of the games this season as just watch the scores & standings but wondering who the Wings match up well with in the East and who they want to avoid. According to the results I want nothing to do with Montreal & Tampa and also would shy away from Pittsburgh cause of Crybaby & refs. I'd say I'm 50-50 against the Islanders and then the rest of the East e.g. Rangers, Bruins & Caps not sure how dangerous they are to Wings.

Is there any team that's going to give up, lie down, and forfeit the game? If so, I want to play them. If not, I'd say we should probably just worry about ourselves. It's not like we've played all that well against any of Montreal, Tampa, Pittsburgh, NYR, Washington, or Boston at various points throughout the season.

First Boston, then Pittsburgh, then Montreal, then the Sharks, in that order. Lets just defeat all our demons at once on the way to the Cup.

How's that order possible? Seems like it would have to be Boston, Montreal, Pittsburgh, San Jose.... no?

First Boston, then Pittsburgh, then Montreal, then the Sharks, in that order. Lets just defeat all our demons at once on the way to the Cup.

With this order... It will put SJ in the finals. Let the jokes begin. I am hoping for the Jets. Detroit-any CA team is always a dream... Right???

Well Trotz won't have Weber to hang his defensive style backpack hockey on this time...

Also the Caps have s***ty depth at center, all they really have is Bäckström.

I agree about their center depth. However, I think you're underestimating their defense. It's actually pretty good. Carlson-Alzner and Niskanen-Orpik are both pretty good pairings. As Babs' said before we played them last, if Mike Green is your fifth defenseman you've got a pretty good defense.

How about making the playoffs first and then discuss the opponent ? So far there's still a chance to miss it.

If the Wings make it I think a team with a non heavy-game would be a preference maybe the Rangers ?

Do you really think Detroit will only get 10-15 points in the next 26 games?

Remember that time that jinxes aren't real?

I don't think the seeding will change much from where it's at today, so I'm going to say TB just so I can pretend to feel good when it happens. :)

But seriously, I don't think any of the potential playoff teams gives us a significantly better matchup than any other. We could beat, or lose to, anyone.

As long as we don't get Boston I think we'll have a chance. Tampa or Montreal, despite our struggles, will be a skating series. That's what we want. Boston, despite their struggles this season, probably dispatch us quick again just because of style. Past the 1st round, who knows, all bets are usually off once we advance.

No thanks on the caps. Aside from having one guy who can win a game all by himself, Barry Trotz is Mike Babcocks kryptonite

I'm not so sure. We have a Zetterberg. Just ask Toews and Crosby. It would be a fun matchup to watch Ovi vs. Z in playoffs.

Edited by kickazz

How about making the playoffs first and then discuss the opponent ? So far there's still a chance to miss it.

If the Wings make it I think a team with a non heavy-game would be a preference maybe the Rangers ?

Do you really think Detroit will only get 10-15 points in the next 26 games?

Do I think so? No but remember Toronto last year they've needed 25 points out of last 25 and had a collapse and lost Bernie for a long period of time

Isles would be another team that doesn't have a heavy for check they rely heavily on speed and lack playoff experience.

Edited by frankgrimes

Tampa, for all the reasons stated above, plus I would get to go to a game. However, I like the idea of exorcising the ghosts of playoff past by taking out Boston, Pittsburgh and San Jose all in one year, throw in Montreal just to stick it to them, if only we could play Chicago in a bonus playoff round for good measure.

Tampa, for all the reasons stated above, plus I would get to go to a game. However, I like the idea of exorcising the ghosts of playoff past by taking out Boston, Pittsburgh and San Jose all in one year, throw in Montreal just to stick it to them, if only we could play Chicago in a bonus playoff round for good measure.

Tampa? Stamkos, Hedman, Drouin and Bishop uuuioooo

Even with Boston struggling their type of game is not a good matchup for the Wings. Montreal as stated will only go as far as Price can take them.

Although, technically correct, very unlikely to miss.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Atlantic/Detroit.html

I would be pretty surprised if we face anyone other then Montreal or Tampa Bay. I don't see us winning the division, but I also dont see us falling to the wild card.

I would prefer Tampa Bay. Last year I predicted TB to fold in the first round and they were swept by the latter. I just dont see TB making a deep run. Montreal on the other hand scares me, especially after seeing what they did last year. Had Price not got hurt, they very well could have been in the finals. They appear to be build very similar to us, but with a better goalie (nothing against Howard).

Do I think so? No but remember Toronto last year they've needed 25 points out of last 25 and had a collapse and lost Bernie for a long period of timeIsles would be another team that doesn't have a heavy for check they rely heavily on speed and lack playoff experience.

Unlike Toronto we are Actually capable of making the playoffs every year. Jimmy went down and we were 9-1, so I guess we would be fine either way. There is absolutely no chance the wings choke.