• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Zetterberg leaves after 2nd Period; "upper body injury"

Rate this topic

Benn should be suspended for at least 5 games. He's the 'example' and leader as Stars' Captain. Zetterberg is a CAPTAIN and acts like it.

In my opinion, Benn should lose the "C" on his sweater for this. But it's the NHL, and only my opinion. So that won't happen.

Hope Z is OK, and we can move on, for sure.

I was talking in general. Him having a concussion is'nt something I think is good. I just like not having him in the lineup, for reasons that have been beat to death on these boards.

It's OK. I knew what you meant. I expect most here did. Z is more 'valuable' in terms of heart and leadership, not that Mule isn't great to have on the ice, if and when he's able.

Benn should be facing a suspension, but since it was against a Red Wing, and Pronger is now employed by the department of player safety, I'm expecting to be disappointed. Still hoping Hank is OK. It would be only too fitting if next season, Benn went to hit Zetterberg and Hank went low like Stevie Y did on Pronger back in the day.

Benn should face diciplinary action for that. The league wants to cut back on hits to the head? Well, that was about as clear of intentional,dirty, hit to the head I've ever seen.

For some reason, Z's head doesn't matter. We all remember what happened when that scumbag weber crushed his helmet.

I think Z was just held out as a precaution so he didn't take another hard hit.. I'm sure we'll know more before the game tomorrow.

Doubtful, why take one 15 second shift in the third? If he was being held out as a precaution, he would've never joined the team for the start of the third.

In any case, I hope he makes a quick return.

Edited by greenrebellion

Benn should be facing a suspension, but since it was against a Red Wing, and Pronger is now employed by the department of player safety, I'm expecting to be disappointed. Still hoping Hank is OK. It would be only too fitting if next season, Benn went to hit Zetterberg and Hank went low like Stevie Y did on Pronger back in the day.

Nope Benn should have had to answer for that in Maguire style.

Nothing will come out off this if people are expecting pay-back it has to be done on ice if only guys who can do that were available ... oh wait they are it just takes a phone call to Toronto or Calgary.

Running to the league like ******* won't teach other teams a lesson, saying enough is enough will do so. I.e Isles Pens 2 years ago

Doubtful, why take one 15 second shift in the third? If he was being held out as a precaution, he would've never joined the team for the start of the third.

In any case, I hope he makes a quick return.

I must've missed that.. I thought he just sat out the whole third.

Ericsson fought Benn earlier in the game. I thought that thing was supposed to stop cheap shots and make rats and other rodents scared. Still Benn hit Z right in front of Ericsson. How is that possible? Didn't Ericsson enforce Benn enough or is Benn just too much of a rat to understand "the code"?

Nope Benn should have had to answer for that in Maguire style. Nothing will come out off this if people are expecting pay-back it has to be done on ice if only guys who can do that were available ... oh wait they are it just takes a phone call to Toronto or Calgary.Running to the league like ******* won't teach other teams a lesson, saying enough is enough will do so. I.e Isles Pens 2 years ago

You're right, and that's the problem. If this was any other sports league, it would be a much bigger deal. Even if you like fighting, it should not be an institutionalized form of punishment. Even if someone did fight Benn, there's no guarantee Benn would get what he deserves. Benn is pretty damn tough. You're basically arguing that we must risk injury to another player in order to enforce the rules. Furthermore, in your ideal system, the best fighters are above the rules, because no one can "punish" them.

Ericsson fought Benn earlier in the game. I thought that thing was supposed to stop cheap shots and make rats and other rodents scared. Still Benn hit Z right in front of Ericsson. How is that possible? Didn't Ericsson enforce Benn enough or is Benn just too much of a rat to understand "the code"?

Or maybe Ericsson doesn't punch hard enough? McGrattan would have punched Benn into the next dimension.

You're right, and that's the problem. If this was any other sports league, it would be a much bigger deal. Even if you like fighting, it should not be an institutionalized form of punishment. Even if someone did fight Benn, there's no guarantee Benn would get what he deserves. Benn is pretty damn tough. You're basically arguing that we must risk injury to another player in order to enforce the rules. Furthermore, in your ideal system, the best fighters are above the rules, because no one can "punish" them.

May sound foolish but this whole thing is more than just about my stance on fighting, it's about saying enough is enough. I give Ericsson and even Abby huge kudos for dropping the gloves but let's be honest they don't scare anybody Colton Orr, Brian McGrattan, Steve MacIntyre, Luke Gazdic do...or if they are too "one dimensinal" for some how about Chris Neil still tough as nails and he can play as a fourth liner.

People are complaining now but guess what happens - if this team makes the playoffs - and opponents are trying to take advantage of our stars, young guns in the same manner ? Hockey-players are fans too I'm sure they watch games and tell themselves, so it's ok if I smash this guys head through the glass...or punsh him because if someone tougher is coming along...the refs are protecting me for acting like a *****.

I don't care if I'm the only one or only one of two guys here...but to me the Wings should do what the Isles did with the Pens 2 years ago just to send out a message to the league. If Z has a concussion I'll be livid. I get it Benn is a tough kid and I like his playstyle but boy if you want to act tough man up and fight big E instead of cheap-shotting Z...

What happens if Big E gets injured? Benn gets no punishment, and we're now dealing with two injuries. When you allow players to police the game, there's no guarantee you'll cut down on cheap shots. If the rules aren't enforced, the league is just encouraging an arms race where teams place a premium on fighters. The problem is that some fighters are better than others. If you're fighter is outmatched, then there is nothing stopping the other team from running your players. This basically results In a situation where the rules don't apply to the team with the best fighters. Then you end up with something other than hockey.

Someone being out with a concussion shouldn't be "OK" with anyone. Just because a player isn't what he once was, doesn't mean his health doesn't matter.

I hate this kind of crap. Outside of combat sports, only in hockey can punching a person in the head just be considered a minor thing.

It's not as bad, but it reminds me of when Gary Roberts randomly punched Franzen in the head in either 08 or 09. That kind of thing can haunt a player, just look at Franzen now.

I agree 100%! And notice it's always a Canadian punching a European in the head. These idiots from Canada continue to prove my point that Canadians are the most violent, the worst cheap shot artists, and are the most racist in professional sports. It's why I refuse to cheer for my home country in the Olympics.

Funny how they don't put up with this kind of thing in Football, but they do in Hockey. With a lawsuit soon against the NHL by former players, Benn punching Zetterberg in the head is more evidence for the former players.

What happens if Big E gets injured? Benn gets no punishment, and we're now dealing with two injuries. When you allow players to police the game, there's no guarantee you'll cut down on cheap shots. If the rules aren't enforced, the league is just encouraging an arms race where teams place a premium on fighters. The problem is that some fighters are better than others. If you're fighter is outmatched, then there is nothing stopping the other team from running your players. This basically results In a situation where the rules don't apply to the team with the best fighters. Then you end up with something other than hockey.

Agree, it's the League's job to police the game, not the players.

It's a likely scenario but the other scenario is Benn getting hammered by big E.

It wasn't an arms race before and it wouldn't be this time but what is your solution then hoping the league does something and if so what ? Suspend Benn yeah that'll teach him...Too often other teams are trying to intimidating the Wings and succeeding in doing so.

It's a likely scenario but the other scenario is Benn getting hammered by big E.

It wasn't an arms race before and it wouldn't be this time but what is your solution then hoping the league does something and if so what ? Suspend Benn yeah that'll teach him...Too often other teams are trying to intimidating the Wings and succeeding in doing so.

It will do something; look at the NFL. Suh gets hit with a six figure fine, then he goes a full season without even incurring a penalty. Hockey players are tough. They're not scared of some half-assed fight. In many cases, no one ever lands a solid punch. How is that more discouraging than going after their finances?

Not enforcing the rules does lead to an arms race. That's why every team used to have a designated enforcer. It's also a terrible way of encouraging safety; just look at the lawsuit against the nhl.

Edited by The Greek

It will do something; look at the NFL. Suh gets hit with a six figure fine, then he goes a full season without even incurring a penalty. Hockey players are tough. They're not scared of some half-assed fight. In many cases, no one ever lands a solid punch. How is that more discouraging than going after their finances?

Not enforcing the rules does lead to an arms race. That's why every team used to have a designated enforcer. It's also a terrible way of encouraging safety; just look at the lawsuit against the nhl.

You're right. Stopping this stuff is easy, harsher penalties will end this in a heartbeat. For example, if punching a player in the head was a 20 game suspension, I guarantee nobody would be doing that anymore. When its a 1 game suspension in an 82 game season, and a $10,000 fine when the guy makes 5mil, it means nothing.

What are you talking about? Ericsson hit him with his purse...kind of reminds me when Lidstrom got run in Colorado and Downey didn't do anything.....oh wait. NOBODY should be able to take shots at your captain that way. Somebaody, anybody should have dropped their gloves. That s*** HAS to happen!