• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2/23 GDT : Red Wings 3 at Ducks 4 (SO)

Rate this topic

Up late watching the shootout then had to be up early. Ugh.

Lots to like last night and some things to dislike. A point on the road against a top western team doesn't suck but the fact we could be looking at one point either keeping us from Montreal or Tampa in the first round or missing home ice against each look no further than last night for it.

I will say this, more and more I'm noticing Brendan Smith excelling at 4 x 4 situations. He really puts pressure on the forward defending him. I like that. I'd get him out there more in those spots. I have much respect for Jakob Silfverberg of Anaheim the way he approaches shootouts. He has a plan. Only three shots does he practice, top corner, like last night, low corner and five hole. No slapshots, no moves, no 5 minute attempts, from the same spot every time and he knows which one he's using before he skates at the puck. One wonders if certain Wings could learn from such a zen approach.

Last night was a hard miles game, tonight will be tough.

Edited by Jersey Wing

When they made it 2-1, that's when Babcock should have called the TO. I felt like the whole period up until then they were getting more confident, then when Jimmy crapped himself, the TO should have been called. But nope, we waited until Jimmy totally s*** stained the ice. Good on the boys for battling back for the point, too bad they couldn't rely on Jimmy to keep them in the game...so sad.

Edited by LeftWinger

Up late watching the shootout then had to be up early. Ugh.

Lots to like last night and some things to dislike. A point on the road against a top western team doesn't suck but the fact we could be looking at one point either keeping us from Montreal or Tampa in the first round or missing home ice against each look no further than last night for it.

I will say this, more and more I'm noticing Brendan Smith excelling at 4 x 4 situations. He really puts pressure on the forward defending him. I like that. I'd get him out there more in those spots. I have much respect for Jakob Silfverberg of Anaheim the way he approaches shootouts. He has a plan. Only three shots does he practice, top corner, like last night, low corner and five hole. No slapshots, no moves, no 5 minute attempts, from the same spot every time and he knows which one he's using before he skates at the puck. One wonders if certain Wings could learn from such a zen approach.

Last night was a hard miles game, tonight will be tough.

I'm not ready to anoint Silfverberg some sort of shootout wunderkind just yet. Even your best shootout performers hover around 50% over their careers. He's currently shooting at 69%. Eventually he'll regress back to the mean. A few years ago it was Wojtek Wolski who couldn't miss in the shootout.

There's a principle in physics, I don't remember the name, which states that even when you know the probability of something happening, you don't know WHEN each instance will take place. So, even if you know that good shootout performers only shoot about 50%, you don't know whether all the misses will come at the beginning, middle, end, of their careers or whether they'll be evenly dispersed.

Flip a coin a hundred times and you might start out getting 7 heads and 3 tails, but you'd be wrong to assume that the likelihood of flipping heads is 70%. And you can be sure that it will even out later.

Something tells me that roboturner will make a visit to the site tonight.

We can only hope. Even I can't do this alone.

Haha, I went to bed after the 1st.

I gotta go to class right now, but I'll be back...In the meantime, everyone can guess what I'm going to say :)

Edited by roboturner

But remember guys, this clown said awhile back there is no shootouts in the playoffs

Was a pretty bold statement for a guy who's never been out of the second round.

I normally don't bag on Howard, but those were two straighforward shots in the SO from the Ducks. I have no idea how that dude is 9 for 13 now. Silverslug or whatever.

He makes me think of Meryl Silverburgh. From Metal Gear.

it was worse game I have attended in person.

Not because of loss. Wings played great 56 minutes regular time and 5 min OT.

Not because of these horrible 4 minutes in the third.

red and white attendance was also great! pregame warmup - crowded at the read wings bench and a few idiots wearing quacks jerseys at their bench.

It was worse game because of quacks fans! It certainly looked like they are all classless idiots (I know that's not true, but last time it really looks like they are all ******* idiots). These f***s don't know how to cheer for their team. all they know - opposition sucks once quacks score.

ps. I was wearing my Larionov Winter Classic jersey and one of those f***s asked who the hell Larionov is. THE PROFESSOR, you idiot!!

The second goal Howard let in in the shootout was just plain embarrassing. He got burnt high to the glove side, looked like he did'nt even try to stop it.

Why Datsyuk no score in shootout anymore?

He's been hitting alot of iron. Has goalies beat, but just does'nt place it exactly right.

it was worse game I have attended in person.

Not because of loss. Wings played great 56 minutes regular time and 5 min OT.

Not because of these horrible 4 minutes in the third.

red and white attendance was also great! pregame warmup - crowded at the read wings bench and a few idiots wearing quacks jerseys at their bench.

It was worse game because of quacks fans! It certainly looked like they are all classless idiots (I know that's not true, but last time it really looks like they are allf****** idiots). These f***s don't know how to cheer for their team. all they know - opposition sucks once quacks score.

ps. I was wearing my Larionov Winter Classic jersey and one of those f***s asked who the hell Larionov is. THE PROFESSOR, you idiot!!

Those assholes weren't hockey fans. They were just drunk fools who decided to go to a hockey game.