• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

2/26 GDT : Red Wings 3 at San Jose Sharks 2

Rate this topic

BTW, what is up with the quote and copy/paste function STILL not working for a large number of us for the past like TWO years despite bringing it up many times to mods?

A) This is the first I've heard of it.

B) PMing Matt is a better way to get something done about site-related issues than cluttering a GDT with it.

@kipwinger

Yes, I can remember a incident where a bad call benefitted the Wings. The first thing that comes to mind is that puck that came up and obviously hit the netting and we scored on because of a blown non-call by the refs.

BTW, what is up with the quote and copy/paste function STILL not working for a large number of us for the past like TWO years despite bringing it up many times to mods?

I don't know?

And yes, I remember the puck coming off the netting and us scoring. You know what I don't remember? Anybody crucifying the refs about getting it wrong. Or anybody insinuating that the ref/league/commissioner "want the Red Wings to win", etc.

I don't recall anybody going on and on about how unfair it was that our goal against Dallas was allowed to stand, despite the fact that Abby clearly obstructed Lehtonen, either.

Bad call happen. But our fans' endless complaining about it is (as I said earlier) one of the most annoying things about us. Especially given the fact that we demonstrably don't get penalized much at all.

We don't have legitimate gripes about the officiating. That's the problem. We're consistently one of the LEAST PENALIZED teams in the league. AND we're consistently GIVEN THE MOST POWERPLAYS.

Very few, if any, teams go to the box less, or go on the man advantage more. Them's the facts. I'd give the theory some credence if we never got a powerplay, or if we were always in the box. But neither of those things are true.

But for whatever reason our fans have internalized this belief that everybody is out to get them. Bettman hates us. The refs are throwing games. The media doesn't recognize our star players.

It's all bologna. SUPER, duper, annoying bologna.

10th in pp time, and 18th in pk time (1 is the least amount of pk time) we are right in the middle. You speak as if we get all the powerplays and take no penalties. Simply not true.

10th in pp time, and 18th in pk time (1 is the least amount of pk time) we are right in the middle. You speak as if we get all the powerplays and take no penalties. Simply not true.

Where are you getting those stats? Last I knew we had the most pp opportunities, and the fewest penalties in the league.

Edit: Fourth fewest penalty minutes per game...http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/team/_/stat/major-penalties/sort/avgPIM/order/false

Third most powerplay opportunities...http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/team/_/stat/special-teams/sort/powerPlayOpportunities

Edited by kipwinger

Where are you getting those stats? Last I knew we had the most pp opportunities, and the fewest penalties in the league.

Edit: Fourth fewest penalty minutes per game...http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/team/_/stat/major-penalties/sort/avgPIM/order/false

Third most powerplay opportunities...http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/team/_/stat/special-teams/sort/powerPlayOpportunities

Right from the source I got it. Nhl.com

Pp time

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20152ALLSAAAll&sort=teamPenaltyDetail.powerplaySeconds&viewName=powerPlayTime

Pk time

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20152ALLSAAAll&sort=teamPenaltyDetail.penaltyKillSeconds&viewName=penaltyKillTime

Edit: I was looking at home pk time, not total, Detroit is actually 20th

Edited by Euro_Twins

Yes, I can remember a incident where a bad call benefitted the Wings. The first thing that comes to mind is that puck that came up and obviously hit the netting and we scored on because of a blown non-call by the refs.

You don't have to go that far. This very last night game. Wings score on power play after hooking penalty to Burns. There was no hooking whatsoever on this play.

And what happen next? Those m*****f***** Rooney called Ericsson for interference!! Then guppies scored. Any given game will be played 3x3 most of time if refs call THAT interference.

Aha, here's our problem. You're looking at "Total Minutes" stats, which are affected by the quality of your PP and PK. If you powerplay is good, and scores early, you won't have a lot of total powerplay minutes despite having a lot of powerplay opportunities..and vice versa for PK. Total powerplay/penalty kill time is a function of your special teams' play. The number of opportunities is a function of the refs' willingness (or unwillingness) to call penalties.

The point of debate was how often penalties are called for and against the Wings vs. other teams, and not how long the resulting PP or PK lasted. So the total minutes doesn't really matter to the debate.

We're third in total powerplay opportunities. We're 11th in total penalties against.

So we're on the Powerplay more than 27 other teams, and (although not as high as I last heard) we're penalized less than 18 other teams.

Hardly proof that the refs have got it out for us.

Edited by kipwinger

We're third in total powerplay opportunities. We're 11th in total penalties against.

So we're on the Powerplay more than 27 other teams, and (although not as high as I last heard) we're penalized less than 18 other teams.

Hardly proof that the refs have got it out for us.

Number of PP: 215, which is 3rd most.

Number of times SH: 206, which is 8th most.

Source: NHL.com

Kip, I agree with you 110% the refs aren't the reason we lose. Or out to get us.

However, last night they were horrendous against both teams. I think that was more the narrative last night. Then again I'm not in the GDT all the time so I'm not sure if that allegation comes up a lot :ninja:

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

I believe everything evens out in the end.

The refs miss some for us, and some against us, same goes for every other team.

The only difference is were paying closer attention to the ones missed on is because those are our guys.

Over time, I'd tend to agree. However, I've said numerous times that BOTH teams and their fan bases deserve a game that is fairly, consistently, and COMPETENTLY officiated. In far too many cases, that hasn't happened. I don't want my team to win or lose on a ticky-tack or, even worse, blown call. Edited by TheXym

Thanks for the link. I stand corrected on the number of times shorthanded. It's definitely more than I thought. Still not convinced that there's a concerted, league led, effort to screw us over though lol.

Thanks for the link. I stand corrected on the number of times shorthanded. It's definitely more than I thought. Still not convinced that there's a concerted, league led, effort to screw us over though lol.

I feel the same way. The best way to notice the lack of bias is to watch games not involving the Wings.

Here's a list of PPO minus TSH:

1. CALGARY +56

2. CHICAGO +52

3. NYI +42

4. CAROLINA +28

5. SJ +26

6. TB +24

7. DALLAS +19

8. MINNESOTA +18

T9. NASHVILLE +14

T9. EDMONTON +14

11. TORONTO +12