• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
yztheman

Once again blowing a lead and giving up 3 goals

Rate this topic

Really what is going on with this team? Today another episode of giving up 3 goals after a lead. it makes me pull my hair out. The old wings knew how to shut it down with a lead, these guys look like they quit playing after they get the lead and then have to pull a win out of their a**. Anyone else frustrated seeing this trend lately?

what can be done to fix this? Who is to blame? Where are my meds? Sick of seeing it.

/rant

Really what is going on with this team? Today another episode of giving up 3 goals after a lead. it makes me pull my hair out. The old wings knew how to shut it down with a lead, these guys look like they quit playing after they get the lead and then have to pull a win out of their a**. Anyone else frustrated seeing this trend lately?

what can be done to fix this? Who is to blame? Where are my meds? Sick of seeing it.

/rant

Two things:

1. Half the league is good now. Games are closer. Teams are more even.

2. We lead the league in come backs when trailing after two periods and are 2nd only to Anaheim in wins when trailing IN the 3rd. Why must you be glass half empty? :lol:

We don't have a Lids anymore...

We could use another top 3 dman to help carry the load and absorb some of that pressure. When we won the cup our top 4 D were:

Lids - Rafi

Kronner - Stuart

Now we have:

Kronner - Ericsson

Dekeyser - Quincey

Its like light and day. That is why we can break down the way we do from time to time.

/rant

The old Wings were the old Wings. This is a new team, with a couple of the same guys and a lot of new guys.

/rant

Our record when leading after 1 and 2 periods is in line with where it's been in the past; better than some years, worse than others. Better than average league-wide. I suspect your premise is flawed. Regardless, momentum is big in hockey, and always has been.

We just finished off our toughest road trip of the season with 9 out of 12 points, despite a couple key injuries. Relax and enjoy it.

13-1-0 when leading after 1

21-0-3 when leading after 2

9-6-1 when trailing after 1

9-11-2 when trailing after 2 (we have the best point % when trailing)

Yes, the 3 goals against is concerning, but we are finding ways to win when leading. It's not always pretty, but we get it done. If you ask me, we are a team that relies on the intermission to get refocused and ready to go.

We have a pretty young team right now so I kind of expect to see that kind of instability to a degree, and its been nice that our guys have been resilient and confident enough to consistently claw back and walk away with points. But I do agree that its something that the coaching staff and the team as a whole should address. The playoffs are a tighter game of hockey, and its going to be much more difficult to win games after blowing the lead. At the very least the Wings are gaining the confidence that they can do it, so maybe it'll turn out to be a blessing in disguise that they keep blowing leads (and winning).

We have a pretty young team right now so I kind of expect to see that kind of instability to a degree, and its been nice that our guys have been resilient and confident enough to consistently claw back and walk away with points. But I do agree that its something that the coaching staff and the team as a whole should address. The playoffs are a tighter game of hockey, and its going to be much more difficult to win games after blowing the lead. At the very least the Wings are gaining the confidence that they can do it, so maybe it'll turn out to be a blessing in disguise that they keep blowing leads (and winning).

You should send them all e-mails. I don't think they've thought about it at all. I bet Babcock just shrugs and says "well, we won, who cares if it was a little sloppy and we gave up 3 straight goals. No biggie."

We were playing Western Conference teams in their buildings, no lead is safe. Give the Wings credit for going 4-1-1 on this road trip! This road trip proved we can beat every team in the League.

If we were blowing leads at home, then worry.

You should send them all e-mails. I don't think they've thought about it at all. I bet Babcock just shrugs and says "well, we won, who cares if it was a little sloppy and we gave up 3 straight goals. No biggie."

Based on your response it sounds like you believe I don't think they are currently trying to address the blown leads, which is a bad conclusion to jump to based on my comment, and particularly what you bolded. To clarify: my comment is aimed more in response to the comments in this thread, where the general consensus seems to be that wins are the important thing, and how we got there not as much. I can't respond to anything the coaching staff says or does because I don't have access to their conversations and focuses in the lockerroom and during practice, but I'm sure it's something they've talked and will continue to talk about. And as I stated earlier, it's something I think they should talk about and continue to talk about.

It's simple, it is a different league. More parody (hard cap) and different rules to allow this. Exactly what the NHL wanted, 5-10 years ago if you got up a couple in the third you put on a hard trap and used the clutch and grab techniques.

I like it, it makes it more exciting for the whole game.

Edited by Smite

/rant

Uh, which Red Wings team was that? Just how far back are we going here?

We just won against the best team in the league, so it sounds like you're just looking for reasons to complain. A win like that isn't going to come easy.

Wow, guess we really are getting desperate for things to complain about eh? Who knew that beating the best team in the leaguer on the road wasn't good enough?

Because the old Wings team, they never blew leads, let alone lost games. Yes sir, 82-0-0 and a 16-0 run to the cup every playoffs

Edited by Nev

Wheelz on the tank? I mean, they pulled off a win against the top team in the league, showed resiliency by coming back after losing the lead, and have been the best in the league at doing so. Racking up 9 points of 12 on a road trip that on paper made many think could bury the Wings or at the very least throw a big wrench into things. I understand the frustration at blowing the leads, but I'm sure Babcock and company are addressing it. I'd be much more concerned if they weren't showing the resiliency. Officiating in which the only consistency is it's poor quality doesn't help. There are a LOT of things to be excited about win this team. I actually look at the comeback capabilities of this team as a good sign for the postseason wars.

Wow, guess we really are getting desperate for things to complain about eh? Who knew that beating the best team in the leaguer on the road wasn't good enough?

Because the old Wings team, they never blew leads, let alone lost games. Yes sir, 82-0-0 and a 16-0 run to the cup every playoffs

No no, the old Wings, when they gave up the lead, they just quit playing and allowed the other team to win.

Based on your response it sounds like you believe I don't think they are currently trying to address the blown leads, which is a bad conclusion to jump to based on my comment, and particularly what you bolded. To clarify: my comment is aimed more in response to the comments in this thread, where the general consensus seems to be that wins are the important thing, and how we got there not as much. I can't respond to anything the coaching staff says or does because I don't have access to their conversations and focuses in the lockerroom and during practice, but I'm sure it's something they've talked and will continue to talk about. And as I stated earlier, it's something I think they should talk about and continue to talk about.

It sounds exactly like you think it hasn't been addressed. Generally, when someone says "I think this needs to be discussed" it means it's something that hasn't been discussed to that point. Regardless, blown leads happen, they happened to the "old" Wings teams too, and those teams had a habit of starting slow because they knew that they had the firepower to turn it on and flip a switch at any point and rattle off 3 goals in 10 minutes. It's nothing new, and if it's happening more, then it's because with a salary cap there's not as much space between the top tams and the bottom feeders. It used to be there were always one or two teams that were basically AHL teams because they wouldn't/couldn't pay any decent NHL vets, now pretty much every team has at least one good line.

It sounds exactly like you think it hasn't been addressed. Generally, when someone says "I think this needs to be discussed" it means it's something that hasn't been discussed to that point. Regardless, blown leads happen, they happened to the "old" Wings teams too, and those teams had a habit of starting slow because they knew that they had the firepower to turn it on and flip a switch at any point and rattle off 3 goals in 10 minutes. It's nothing new, and if it's happening more, then it's because with a salary cap there's not as much space between the top tams and the bottom feeders. It used to be there were always one or two teams that were basically AHL teams because they wouldn't/couldn't pay any decent NHL vets, now pretty much every team has at least one good line.

I agree with everything except the bolded. Again, my saying "I think it needs to be addressed" is in response to the posters in this thread who have implied the issue isn't a big deal because we've been winning. It has no bearing on what I think is or isn't happening in the lockerroom. It's akin to a mechanic working on my car in his garage, and my girlfriend in the lobby says the alternator on the car doesn't need to be fixed because it's still driving, and me replying to her that the alternator problem needs to be addressed. My conversation with my girlfriend in the lobby doesn't mean that I don't think the mechanic is fixing the car. It means that I think there's a problem that needs to be addressed, and I'm conveying that thought to someone who suggests otherwise.

And just a side note: talking about and practicing correcting a problem doesn't = problem is sufficiently addressed. I'm sure Babs and co have been focusing on the blown leads theoughout this entire road trip, considering it's been a common theme, but based on the fact the Wings blew a two-goal lead yesterday, I wouldn't consider the problem sufficiently addressed. They're working on it, sure, but the problem as of our last game is not yet solved, and thus still requires attention.

Edited by Echolalia