• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Red Wings acquire Erik Cole, conditional 3rd from Stars

Rate this topic

Cheering for Tootoo was weird as well, but it actually wasn't that bad looking back.

I heard Toronto didn't want Weiss in the trade, I can't confirm that just FB rabble.

Well, I'd hope we'd have more chances to cheer for Cole than we did for Tootoo.

We traded what is basically a 2nd round pick and a minor prospect for an aging UFA power forward with maybe two or three more years in the tank. Is it the mot exciting trade ever ? Nope. But it's a low (almost no) risk, high reward kind of trade which will definitely make us better. What is not to like ?

Cole is a big north-south guy who is physical as hell and has 18G. He’s not just some 36 yr old scrub.

Like I said, wait and see how Babs uses him before judging how he'll be physical for us. He has neutered guys like Smith.

What did I say you said? We did lose out on the legwand trade last year did we not? I know people are convinced we got in the playoffs cause of that trade but legwand didn't bring much to the table and was the leading cause in us getting in

Yes I realize we got better prospects ahead of janmark but doesn't mean we should of just given him away for a 36 yr old ufa with back problems ... Could of been used in a trade for someone bigger with more term

I liked cole before this trade ... Just would of thought a 2nd and a pick would of been enough

Ok, so we hang onto Jarnkrok and have him take the Backman route back to Sweden. Then Holland to tell Mr Illitch we think we can make the playoffs with Anderson as our #1 center and shrugs his shoulders.

Yeah, as I said earlier. Two decades of success warrants more trust.

We traded what is basically a 2nd round pick and a minor prospect for an aging UFA power forward with maybe two or three more years in the tank. Is it the mot exciting trade ever ? Nope. But it's a low (almost no) risk, high reward kind of trade which will definitely make us better. What is not to like ?

Hey if it works out it's a damn good start at redemption for the Legwand trade.

Cole is the kind of guy you win with in the playoffs. We got him for next to nothing (aka a player that ran back to Sweden and a guy who was never making this team due to being too far back on the depth chart.)

Like I said before I like cole and he's the guy I wanted us to get ... Also didn't think he would cost us this much though ... He could be a complete bust but i liked janmarks upside and even though our prospect pool is high doesn't mean we should just give them away for older ufa's

What's funny is just today on twitter I was going on to someone about how I hope janmark convinces backman to come down fulltime next year and now there both gone lol

Here comes all the complainers of the trade. The same people who complain when Holland does nothing. We gave up 2 deeper prospects and a pick for a power forward and a pick. Sure the players we trade could come back to bite us but odds are they won't amount to anything rather than being superstars one day. We got a 18 goal scorer who will be killer in front of the net on the power play and what many were saying was the 2nd best forward available at the deadline. Great work Kenny!

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

Great trade. If you watched the Nashville game yesterday, it was obvious that we need size or we will be worn out in the playoffs. Lately, the game plan against Detroit is to pound them because they are a small team. Cole gives us size and I can't believe how people are crying about the prospects we gave up. There is a good chance that neither of them would have ever played for the Wings. They are both behind so many prospects and we don't have room for half of them. Remember how people screamed last year about losing Calle Jarnkrok? I'm not saying that he doesn't have talent but he has a total of 24 points in 70 games with Nashville so it is not as if he is an impact player. Time will tell but unless the Wings get some size to them, the same thing is going to happen year after year: First or second round exit and the smaller players will disappear.

Good to see that Kenny didn't stand pat.

Cole is a big north-south guy who is physical as hell and has 18G. He’s not just some 36 yr old scrub.

Also has back problems in his career

Franzen's career could be over, Cleary will be gone, Andersson will probably be gone. There will be room.

We also got pulkkinen now might have to get rid of weiss and/or miller

Don't know if I want 2 36yr olds on the same line ...off the top I think he'd look good maybe on the 3rd with sheahan and maybe pulkkinen?

Pav might be 36 but he's no ordinary 36, the guy is still a top player.

We finally have a guy who can provide space for Pav, and you want to move him to the 3rd line?

I agreed with you on last years overpayment,but this is not over paying. It's a good trade.

Great trade. If you watched the Nashville game yesterday, it was obvious that we need size or we will be worn out in the playoffs. Lately, the game plan against Detroit is to pound them because they are a small team. Cole gives us size and I can't believe how people are crying about the prospects we gave up. There is a good chance that neither of them would have ever played for the Wings. They are both behind so many prospects and we don't have room for half of them. Remember how people screamed last year about losing Calle Jarnkrok? I'm not saying that he doesn't have talent but he has a total of 24 points in 70 games with Nashville so it is not as if he is an impact player. Time will tell but unless the Wings get some size to them, the same thing is going to happen year after year: First or second round exit and the smaller players will disappear.

Good to see that Kenny didn't stand pat.

Been pushing for guys with grit who can knock some body's around in the playoffs for along time Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Like I said before I like cole and he's the guy I wanted us to get ... Also didn't think he would cost us this much though ... He could be a complete bust but i liked janmarks upside and even though our prospect pool is high doesn't mean we should just give them away for older ufa's

What's funny is just today on twitter I was going on to someone about how I hope janmark convinces backman to come down fulltime next year and now there both gone lol

Are you serious? Please tell me this is a joke. Because this is a great trade for the Wings. We lost two prospects who have zero future here. Two prospects who have very little value. And by trading them, this team has a better shot at a deep playoff run.

I'm thinking something like:

Nyquist-Z-Abby

Tatar-Datsyuk-Cole

Weiss-Sheahan-Pulkkinen

Miller-Glendening-Andersson

If helms healthy, I want him on the foirth line.

And did we send Jurco down in your proposed lineup?

Because I imagine wed keep Jurco in over pulks for the playoff considering he already has playoff experience + his size, speed, and how heavy he hits.

Are you serious? Please tell me this is a joke. Because this is a great trade for the Wings. We lost two prospects who have zero future here. Two prospects who have very little value. And by trading them, this team has a better shot at a deep playoff run.

Just because they don't have a future here doesn't mean they won't be good else where? Janmark has upside

I'm thinking something like:

Nyquist-Z-Abby

Tatar-Datsyuk-Cole

Weiss-Sheahan-Pulkkinen

Miller-Glendening-Andersson

When Helm's healthy he probably would bump Pulks, and Jurco should be in over Andersson. Either way, we just helped out our overall forward depth a lot today.

If helms healthy, I want him on the foirth line.

And did we send Jurco down in your proposed lineup?

Because I imagine wed keep Jurco in over pulks for the playoff considering he already has playoff experience + his size, speed, and how heavy he hits.

Nope. Honestly, I was just thinking of the next game.

Cole gritty?!?!?! I'm missing something here

SCOUTING REPORT

From The Hockey News Scouting Report section::

Assets: Has great straight-ahead skating ability and work ethic. Hits anything that moves. Plays a gritty, in-your-face style and owns solid scoring instincts. Leads by example on the ice.

Flaws: Over time, his body has broken down due to the punishment that comes with playing a power forward's role. His abrasiveness will continue to be a concern moving forward.

Career Potential: Quality veteran power forward.

Did we already have anyone we could have described as "Hits anything that moves"? Cole sounds refreshingly gritty to me!

Edited by NYC Wings Fanatic

Just because they don't have a future here doesn't mean they won't be good else where? Janmark has upside

Janmark is far down on the depth chart. He had very little trade value. A prospect like him is never gonna bring in any high profile players in a trade. We literally gave up no noteworthy prospects, and may get high 3rd round pick in return (with the exception being a fun playoff run if we don't). You have attachment issues to our prospects lol.