• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Red Wings acquire Marek Zidlicky from NJ for Cond. 2016 3rd Round Pick

Rate this topic

Good deal - not a permanent fix. Glad we didn't give any prospects.

Holland still needs to do something significant this offseason to fix the back end for more than a couple months.

Agreed. I actually like this trade, but it is ONLY a band-aid for this coming playoff season. Moves to upgrade the D will have to be done this summer, for sure.

I'm interested to see how Zid will fit in. I assume Marchenko goes back down now.

Marchenko will be sent down tomorrow regardless. It's a paper move that allows him to play in the AHL playoffs. Pulkkinen likely will go down like this too.

But yes, I can't imagine Marchenko supplanting any of the other 5 guys on the blue line.

5 Guys... Man, now I want a burger...

Marchenko will be sent down tomorrow regardless. It's a paper move that allows him to play in the AHL playoffs. Pulkkinen likely will go down like this too.

But yes, I can't imagine Marchenko supplanting any of the other 5 guys on the blue line.

5 Guys... Man, now I want a burger...

Mmmm those cajun fries....

Like that matters. We are a young team right now.

07-08 We had 2 40+ year olds and 7 other 35+ year olds and won the cup.

Right now our team has 5 35+ year olds. With the Cole, Zidlicky addition.

What are you going to be negative about next so I can refute that too?

I was going to say it wasn't a necessarily negative comment, but then I saw the source.

Ya, all of Pulk, March and Jurco will all be "sent to GR" on paper, in order to qualify them for the AHL playoffs. They will be "recalled" after 3PM when the roster limits are no longer set at 23, as long as they fit under the cap.

I cannot say how happy I am right now, these are two types of trades that add the right combo of what a team may need to get them over the top. All these teams "loading up" have a s*** ton more to lose if they don't win a Cup, and guess what? Last I heard only ONE team can still win the Cup, so there are 4-5 teams that loaded up this week, that are going to kicking themselves in the ass...Chicago better win this year, becuase if they don't, they are facing the same situation as 2010, they will need to dump salary to get under the cap.

What Holland did the last 24 hours just proves that he is still one of the best. I may be biased, but if you are couting what was sent in retrurn today, Detroit cam out near the top of the "winner" chart. I am very critical of Holland (to say the least) but today it just proves how much I should be less critical of him. Look at the last few years of drafting and todays deadline. Sure he paid too much for Legwand last year, but he HAD to, there was almost no way of making the playoffs with Andy as your #1 center. He tried for the Olsen twins, he tried for the big names last July, he stood his ground last year and this year when everyone wanted Mantha (and now Larkin.) This may not be a Cup winning day for us, but it was definitely a playoff push move. These guys bring experience that could push us further into the playoffs we have been since 2009.

Cheers to Ken Holland! Welcome to Hockeytown Erik and Marek!

I like marchenko but I think he'll be the odd man out

Why? Part of the reason we didn't have to go big at the deadline is because Mike Babcock wanted "Marchenko to be our deadline acquisition". He's up for good. And they're not going to put him with another righty. And if they're smart, they're not going to put Zidlicky in the top four. So I don't see how else it works.

Ya, all of Pulk, March and Jurco will all be "sent to GR" on paper, in order to qualify them for the AHL playoffs. They will be "recalled" after 3PM when the roster limits are no longer set at 23, as long as they fit under the cap.

I cannot say how happy I am right now, these are two types of trades that add the right combo of what a team may need to get them over the top. All these teams "loading up" have a s*** ton more to lose if they don't win a Cup, and guess what? Last I heard only ONE team can still win the Cup, so there are 4-5 teams that loaded up this week, that are going to kicking themselves in the ass...Chicago better win this year, becuase if they don't, they are facing the same situation as 2010, they will need to dump salary to get under the cap.

What Holland did the last 24 hours just proves that he is still one of the best. I may be biased, but if you are couting what was sent in retrurn today, Detroit cam out near the top of the "winner" chart. I am very critical of Holland (to say the least) but today it just proves how much I should be less critical of him. Look at the last few years of drafting and todays deadline. Sure he paid too much for Legwand last year, but he HAD to, there was almost no way of making the playoffs with Andy as your #1 center. He tried for the Olsen twins, he tried for the big names last July, he stood his ground last year and this year when everyone wanted Mantha (and now Larkin.) This may not be a Cup winning day for us, but it was definitely a playoff push move. These guys bring experience that could push us further into the playoffs we have been since 2009.

Cheers to Ken Holland! Welcome to Hockeytown Erik and Marek!

Nicely said.

Also, "Erik and Marek" sounds like the name of some sort of radio talk show. :lol:

So I'm assuming our pairings look like this now?

Kron-Ericsson

Marchenko-Dekeyser

Zidlicky-Quincey

Smith

Or no?

:lol:

Nicely said.

Also, "Erik and Marek" sounds like the name of some sort of radio talk show. :lol:

:lol:

Seriously, how do you think they'll look. I'm really confused by how they'll fit these guys together and who the odd men out will be.

I honestly think you may see Q as the odd man out a bit. SO what happens to Kindl now? He is #8 on the list here in Detroit now....maybe 9 with Ouellet

Why would Quincey sit? He's been better than Smith ALL SEASON LONG. Why would they sit a better player?

Either...

Kronwall-Ericsson

DeKeyser-Zidlicky

Quincey-Marchenko

or

Kronwall-Ericsson

DeKeyser-Quincey

Ouellet-Zidlicky

...would be my ideal D pairs. Smith and Kindl nowhere to be found.

Edited by Nevermind

Three things:

1. The Wings have stated over and over that the play of Marchenko has lessened the need for a big deadline acquisition. Which I agree with, to an extent. But that certainly implies he won't be going anywhere if the deadline strategy was predicated on him being in the lineup.

2. Zidlicky isn't very good defensively. For those who think "Yandle's good offensively, but bad defensively", prepare yourselves. We did not just acquire another Brian Rafalski. We just acquired an older Mark Streit.

3. It doesn't really make sense to rationalize the Cole trade by wanting "to be able to better handle physical teams", and then make our top four smaller and weaker by adding Zidlicky in place of Quincey. That makes us much more susceptible to bigger teams. He's be on the bottom pair. Mark it.

Edited by kipwinger