• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Will Wings Revisit Signing Phaneuf?

Rate this topic

I doubt it. Asking price is probably too rich for our blood and would throw a real wrench in our cap.

The Braydon Coburn trade changed everything. Whatever the two teams may have considered, that was altered by Philadelphia’s return for the non-rental defenceman (Radko Gudas, a first-round pick and a third-rounder).

Toronto considers Phaneuf a better player than Coburn, so it would look at that return and say, “We’ve got to have at least that.”

link

I think they only wanted him because he was available. Once they have cheaper or better options things change.

I think this is a more accurate description of most LGW poster's thoughts on the matter...

I still think he's a decent option if the price is right and they eat $2 million in salary. I don't think Phaneuf is as bad as some think, and I could see him doing well in a different role than he's been asked to play in Toronto. He could be terrible as well though, sure, but it's tough to say with a player like that. As has been said time and again, Toronto has a way of warping everyone's perceptions on any given hockey-related matter.

The Wings have a history of turning around much-maligned Toronto d-men, and Phaneuf may do well here as a number three, but, as others have said, no way unless they keep at least 2 mil of his salary. I'd do Weiss and Kindl for him, that is about it. I just have a feeling he just wouldn't gel in the Detroit locker room.

Guest Playmaker

I think I heard that Toronto is already at or near the max of salary they are allowed to "eat", so I don't think that is an option. As I mentioned in the other thread, I never would have even considered it had it not been mentioned that the Leafs had no problem taking Weiss' contract in return. Is Weiss at 5 million all that much worse than Phaneuf at 7? Think they asked for one of the young defensemen, not Mantha. Not saying it's a deal that has to be made, but I don't think it's as horrible as it might seem.

I think I heard that Toronto is already at or near the max of salary they are allowed to "eat", so I don't think that is an option. As I mentioned in the other thread, I never would have even considered it had it not been mentioned that the Leafs had no problem taking Weiss' contract in return. Is Weiss at 5 million all that much worse than Phaneuf at 7? Think they asked for one of the young defensemen, not Mantha. Not saying it's a deal that has to be made, but I don't think it's as horrible as it might seem.

They asked for Mantha

Guest Playmaker

Nick Kypreos reported they wanted Mantha, but most of the other reports I read said they wanted either Brendan Smith, Oulette, Sproul and some said they'd take Kindl. They're all rumors. I don't believe that Holland confirmed anything one way or the other.

His contract is bad, but not as bad as some posters are making it out to be given the cost of signing UFA's in recent years. Also, it is rare that a #2 dman is available at all. With that said, I think Toronto was asking for too much and would have to take Weiss or Kindl.

You can retain up to 50% cap hit on 2 or 3 contracts. The dollar amount is irrelevant.

It's actually up to 50% of 3 contracts at a time & the total dollar amount can't exceed 15%, or $10.35m this season, of the upper cap limit so overall dollar amounts are very much relevant.

Source: Section C on page 272 of the CBA http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

Edited by ogreslayer