• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Will Wings Revisit Signing Phaneuf?

Rate this topic

Looks like it might come back up again. http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/716173

Speculation by a hockey writer. I don't think Ken Holland is dumb enough to take that crap contract. $2 mil per too much and 3 years too long. If it was a shorter deal, swapping him for Weiss even at a higher cap hit would be acceptable. As it stands they could have a $7 mil second pair d in 3 or 4 years with that contract.

I think that only Kypreos reported that Leafs asked for Mantha... and Kypreos is not what I would consider as a legit source.

If they can have him at $5M and trade away Weiss, Kindl and maybe some mid 2016 draft picks it would be upgrade over Quincey and Errorson.

I think that only Kypreos reported that Leafs asked for Mantha... and Kypreos is not what I would consider as a legit source.

If they can have him at $5M and trade away Weiss, Kindl and maybe some mid 2016 draft picks it would be upgrade over Quincey and Errorson.

If they could do that, they would have. Toronto wants as much as what the Sabers got for Myers.

If they could do that, they would have. Toronto wants as much as what the Sabers got for Myers.

How much can you realistically judge how much the Sabres got for Myers? There were 7 players involved in that trade plus a pick.

They brought back a young top 6 forward and young top pair D as the principals. Everything I heard was Toronto wanted at least a top prospect or good young player plus a first and wouldn't retain salary. Nobody else bit either, which tells me that they wanted way too much

They brought back a young top 6 forward and young top pair D as the principals. Everything I heard was Toronto wanted at least a top prospect or good young player plus a first and wouldn't retain salary. Nobody else bit either, which tells me that they wanted way too much

Considering he's under contract another 6 years so he wouldn't even be a rental, the main thing was probably salary retention which is why they changed their minds last minute, albeit too late

Trading Phaneuf to the Wings isn't even a good deal for the Leafs. As mentioned, they'd have to pay $2Million of Phaneuf's salary, take Weiss, and probably Smith. Add that all up, and it's more of a cap hit for the Leafs, so they may as well just keep him. I still think Phaneuf to the Wings rumors have been BS since day 1, it just doesn't make sense for either team.

I do think once the Sabres draft McDavid or Eichel, they'd trade for Kessel. They have cap room, and some picks Toronto would like in return.

Again, which is why I didn't believe all the Phaneuf to the Wings rumors. We could NEVER give the Leafs that kind of return. Up and coming teams can give that back, not a team near the top of the standings.

Jurco , Mrazek and a first would be my offer

And how would you clear cap room so Phaneuf can be here for 6 years?

They took back a young top 6 forward who the Jets were trying to get rid of because of attitude issues and injury. And a young D-man with his own history of nagging injuries.

The Jets got back a young D-man with a higher ceiling, a solid 2nd/3rd line winger, 2 quality prospects and a 1st round pick.

There is no way to discern the value of Tyler Myers in that trade, and it's also a completely different set of circumstances than any possible Phaneuf trade. They aren't comparable.

Imagine if Toronto retained 2mil and took Ericsson back.... :ninja: Then we'd talking. Since I doubt Kenny H will want to move Big E, I don't see a way it'd work. Need to get some RH shots, and can't have a brain dead defenceman on every pair (Phaneuf, E, Smith)

Again, which is why I didn't believe all the Phaneuf to the Wings rumors. We could NEVER give the Leafs that kind of return. Up and coming teams can give that back, not a team near the top of the standings.

Jurco , Mrazek and a first would be my offer

And how would you clear cap room so Phaneuf can be here for 6 years?

God forget the salary yeah Leafs would have to retain some.people have to keep in mind that wings won't get Phaneuf without giving back something substantial if they don't retain salary a cap dumb has to be part of the deal..

The Myers trade isn't a good comparison because it's extremely lopsided Cheveldayoff robbed Murray here. Giving up a guy with more attitude problems than goals, a good upcoming defender in Bogosian for Myers and a first is a steal.

God forget the salary yeah Leafs would have to retain some.people have to keep in mind that wings won't get Phaneuf without giving back something substantial if they don't retain salary a cap dumb has to be part of the deal.. The Myers trade isn't a good comparison because it's extremely lopsided Cheveldayoff robbed Murray here. Giving up a guy with more attitude problems than goals, a good upcoming defender in Bogosian for Myers and a first is a steal.

Leafs are in no position to barter. They either try and get rid of him, or they have him for the next 6 years. They are going through a rebuild and don't want a long term contract, they will take some players back that are decent and off contract soon. Weiss, Smith and a draft pick.

I heard the main issue is that the Leafs didn't want to take Weiss. The Leafs would be utterly stupid to dump Phaneuf for the players being mentioned in this thread. It would be different if we are talking about a salary dump here...meaning, yeah, swap bad contracts, take Weiss and his cap hit will be gone much sooner, but that's not a concern for the Leafs. They need to rebuild, cap room is meaningless for them, they need to get prospects back for Phaneuf, otherwise trading him makes zero sense.

Also, reason to expect that they'll at least revisit the trade possibility in the summer is something that I think Draper said. I can't remember the exact comments, but it was something like it just being too much to try and get done in a couple hours.

This summer:

Trade (all of the rumoured parts) Jurco, Smith, Weiss, 2016 1st and a 2017 Conditional 3rd for Phanuef (-1.5 Mill) and Kessel (-1.0 Mill)

Let Cleary walk, Let Monster walk.

Try and trade Quincey knowing that his contract expires at the end of next season and Oulette can slide right in to his spot.

Plan the parade

ABDELKADER - ZETTERBERG - KESSEL

TATAR - DATSYUK - HELM

NYQUIST - SHEAHAN - PULKINNEN

MILLER - ANDERSSON - GLENDENNING

FRANZEN (LTIR?)

KRONWALL - ERICSSON

PHANEUF - DEKEYSER

QUINCEY - MARCHENKO

OULETTE

HOWARD

MRAZEK

Holland has Green, Franson, and Ehrhoff to look forward to in free agency among others. I'd rather pay a little more for Franson, maybe Green, than spend assets and money on Phaneuf.

I think it's pretty apparent Toronto is going to have to eat salary and Weiss's contract f Phaneuf is going to come to Detroit, which probably isn't happening.