• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Will Wings Revisit Signing Phaneuf?

Rate this topic

Phaneuf really wanted to be a Red Wing apparently: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nick-kypreos-dion-phaneuf-upset-he-want-traded-to-detroit-red-wings/

Realllyyy hoping we revisit this in the offseason after we get swept out of the 1st round. A young, super aggressive right handed offensive defenseman with LOTS of snarl is EXACTLY what this team needs (considering our current roster is literally 100% pussified). I really think being away from the media spotlight and a change of scenery to allow him to focus on his game here would completely turn around his career. This guy has the potential to return to star caliber.

Edited by ShanahanMan

Phaneuf really wanted to be a Red Wing apparently: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nick-kypreos-dion-phaneuf-upset-he-want-traded-to-detroit-red-wings/

Realllyyy hoping we revisit this in the offseason after we get swept out of the 1st round. A young, super aggressive right handed offensive defenseman with LOTS of snarl is EXACTLY what this team needs (considering our current roster is literally 100% pussified). I really think being away from the media spotlight and a change of scenery to allow him to focus on his game here would completely turn around his career. This guy has the potential to return to star caliber.

Why would Phanuef want to be part of this "pussified", soon-to-be-swept team? Seriously, these Wings aren't much better than the Leafs right now and will be worse when Babcock goes to Toronto. Besides, next year is the year that the Wings finally tank it.

I really want Phaneuf here too. He's a 1/2 defensemen on just about any team just like Kronwall. Plays all situations and sticks up for teammates and protects his crease. He'll occasionally destroy somebody too which is nice. Just watch the play of him destroying Oshie. We need that edge on our blueline. The guy is clearly miserable in Toronto

He's not really super aggressive. He puts up points because he has skill with the puck and good hockey IQ with a great point shot. He doesn't really jump into the play a lot. Great hitter and protects his crease and is no slouch defensively

With Kronner, Phaneuf and DD likely putting up 30+ points our top 4 looks respectable. Phaneuf-DD would be a really well balanced pair that can play shut down and score pretty well

I dont see the Leafs taking on Weiss's contract unless we gave them a stud like Mantha with him. It doesn't make sense for a team re-building. The ONLY way I could see this, is if the Leafs think they can turn his career around and trade him for more assets. I don't see it, but then again it is the Leafs.

Edited by kliq

I don't see the Leafs trading Phaneuf to the Wings. I thought the Phaneuf to the Wings rumors was a bunch of BS, and was something the Toronto media made up to try and get other teams interest in him. Holland may have asked the Leafs about Phaneuf, which is a GM's job, but it doesn't mean he was seriously interested.

It would cost the Leafs more to trade Dion to the Wings. They'd have to pay part of his salary, and would have to take on one of our big salary guys. It would be a bigger hit on their cap. Also, we have 6 RFA's after this season needing contracts.

Trading him to a team like Columbus, similar to Clarkson, makes more sense. However, I think the Leafs are stuck with Phaneuf and Kessel.

I'm very interested in how this will play out during the summer.

Same Phaneuf would provide some much needed help. Sure, Wings would have to give up a bit but neither Jurco nor Pulkinnen would be that big of a loss for an established, physical defender guy has been around and knows when to chip in and when to play defense.

Just read that darren dregger mentioned the wings offered smith weiss and pulkkinen for Phaneuf but the leafs wanted mantha ... First off id hope to god that would of included the leafs paying 2 mill off his salary and 2nd I'm not sure about including pulkkinen

With mantha athanasiou etc... Coming I can totally see us giving up pulkkinen in a deal ... But for Phaneuf? I mean pulkkinen is no mcdavid but he did just lead the ahl in goal scoring And spent a nice chunk in the nhl so I'd like to think if he was included in a deal it would be for a bigger name than Phaneuf

The contract is an issue even sending Weiss out because you get a longer contract back. If the term on both was the same, trading Weiss to balance salary makes sense. The way it is you're just pushing a problem down the road

Nope, I think Holland has a much clearer view of his team. He can't fool himself any longer. He needs a couple top 4 D to hit prime in 3 to 4 years. He will rebuild in a more meaningful way. He has to, in order for them to improve fast enough to be competitive when the new arena opens.