• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Will Wings Revisit Signing Phaneuf?

Rate this topic

I would take that report with a grain of salt - just like many thought Babs wasn't going to Toronto.

All in all I wouldn't mind seeing Phaneuf in the Winged Wheel - just that we have a few kids from GR that could fill in nicely now that Blashill is coach, and there's also a few worthy UFA's (in particular Dman Cody Franson) that arguably would be a better fit in Detroit instead of Phaneuf (especially on the cap hit).

Anywho - it'll be an interesting draft weekend since the speculation on some Leaf players will be at an all-time high.

Oh, there's enough salt involved to de-ice my driveway, hence the "supposedly," but I'll grab at any little straw I can these days.

Just my thoughts (even though our former coach wouldn't want them) I'd trade the 1st round pick to TO along with Weiss and Smith for Phanuef. NOT Mantha. I think he deserves a full healthy year in GR to show that he is a star.

So on draft day, I am ok with trading the 1st pick in a deal for Phanuef. Hopefully Holland doesn't overpay and trade all 4 assets... Weiss, Smith, Mantha and 1st is WAY too much payment for just Phanuef. Now I you want to throw in Kessel as well? Now we can talk adding Mantha in there...plus more I assume, but that is a good starting point if we're talking Mantha AND the 1st.

Just my thoughts (even though our former coach wouldn't want them) I'd trade the 1st round pick to TO along with Weiss and Smith for Phanuef. NOT Mantha. I think he deserves a full healthy year in GR to show that he is a star.

So on draft day, I am ok with trading the 1st pick in a deal for Phanuef. Hopefully Holland doesn't overpay and trade all 4 assets... Weiss, Smith, Mantha and 1st is WAY too much payment for just Phanuef. Now I you want to throw in Kessel as well? Now we can talk adding Mantha in there...plus more I assume, but that is a good starting point if we're talking Mantha AND the 1st.

In this deep of a draft I definitely don't want a 1st round pick involving Phaneuf. Honestly I really hope the Wings don't trade for him at all because I think what it'd take to get him wouldn't be worth it. Don't need to do a division "rival" any favors.

Pheneuf & Kessel would be a 15 million caphit for the next 7 years. Even if we sent back Weiss, that move could cripple us for a long time if either of them go through a sharp decline.

Khan says Wings are no longer interested in Phaneuf. I'm betting Babcock nixed any deal, like most of us believed he would.

It was probably Babcock that wanted him all along. He seems like Babs type of guy.

It will be interesting to see if the Leafs still trade him elsewhere or if he stays in Toronto.

Khan says Wings are no longer interested in Phaneuf. I'm betting Babcock nixed any deal, like most of us believed he would.

Nice of him to do the Wings one last favour.

Seriously though, if it says "the Wings aren't interested" then that should have nothing to do with Babcock or the Leafs desires.

Nice of him to do the Wings one last favour.

Seriously though, if it says "the Wings aren't interested" then that should have nothing to do with Babcock or the Leafs desires.

Unless it's the leafs' desires to not retain salary. I think if they intend to not retain salary in either a Phaneuf or Kessel trade, they're going to have a tough time trading either of them. Kessel might be easier though.. his only problem is the modified ntc.

Dion is the best option by far but sure who needs a rugged, physical defender who also has some offensive upside.

I mean, the Leafs front office doesn't have experience but they aren't that dumb and giving him away for a kicking the tires (= you take our cast offs, we take Dion) deal.

But who I am kiddung the July 1 acquisition will be another old cast off who won't get a new deal with the Panthers and also happens to be a former wing...

Frank, Phaneuf is not the "best option by far". If you're looking for the most rugged, physical defenseman available that can also put up points, the best option by far is Cody Franson. He wouldn't cost us any assets, he would come with a cheaper cap hit, he's 3 years younger, he's bigger, stronger, hits more, blocks almost as many shots, provides almost as much offense, he's a right handed shot, he is an upgrade in almost every area in my opinion... Franson > Phaneuf

Frank, Phaneuf is not the "best option by far". If you're looking for the most rugged, physical defenseman available that can also put up points, the best option by far is Cody Franson. He wouldn't cost us any assets, he would come with a cheaper cap hit, he's 3 years younger, he's bigger, stronger, hits more, blocks almost as many shots, provides almost as much offense, he's a right handed shot, he is an upgrade in almost every area in my opinion... Franson > Phaneuf

What he said.

Franson is an UFA and I am not sure he would be interested in coming here, when better teams also need defenseman. Phaneuf by all accounts would be willing to waive for Detroit.

I don't think Franson will be as good as he was in Toronto but he for sure wouldn't be as bad as he was in Nashville. But he will command a huge salary probably north of 6 (boychuck like) just because this ufa market is so weak

Franson will be like Niskanen was last July 1st. Severely overpaid. He wouid make our defense better. I see Kenny making an offer but in the end I can see him in Dallas for something like 7 years at 42 million with a full no trade clause.

Edited by Helmethead

Franson is an UFA and I am not sure he would be interested in coming here, when better teams also need defenseman. Phaneuf by all accounts would be willing to waive for Detroit.

Why not, Babcock is gone now :cool:

Edited by RedWingsRox

Frank, you said the best option available is Phaneuf. That's where I disagree. If we're talking about who we're more likely to get, I don't think we're that likely to land either, but I'd still say Franson is more likely. I think it's about a 5% chance we trade for Phaneuf and about a 20% chance we sign Franson...

Franson seems like one of those guys that is big, but not one to use his size to be "physical."

So for Frank, Phaneuf is the best option...

Edited by e_prime

So what exactly is it that makes him "seem" like a big none physical player? Is it that he averages around 3 hits per game? Is it that he hits more than twice as much as any defenseman currently on the Red Wings roster? Or is it the fact that he is consistently at the top of the league in hits per game every single season? He was ranked 18th last season splitting time between two different teams, he was 1st the season before and 9th the season before that. He is a very physical defenseman, and he also blocks a ton of shots. He's exactly what this team needs...