• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

themcityblues

Mrazek to start how many games?

Rate this topic

Because that's what happened?? I didn't say everybody does, but surely there are some that do that. well they don't hate him, but...I'm not going to go through a bunch of old GDTs to find all the "poor rebound control" "he's just not ready, back to the AHL" comments about Mrazek that wouldn't get made about a 6 year veteran

Sorry... forgive me for reading "Howard supporters" as 'people that support Howard' rather than 'some select/specific people that support Howard.'

Sorry... forgive me for reading "Howard supporters" as 'people that support Howard' rather than 'some select/specific people that support Howard.'

I was going to write 'Howard Apologists' but didn't want to sound like a dick. I guess I should have since the rest of what I wrote surely didn't give any context as to who I would have been talking about /s

Edit: is 'dick' no longer censored here? I thought it was, seems like it would have been.

Edited by roboturner

Right now, it looks like Mrazek's style suits this Wings team better. Other team's game plans vs Detroit boils down to dumping the puck, getting on the grind, shooting from the point, and getting deflections and dirty goals. Mrazek's puck-handling and quickness in tight make that game plan hard to execute.

But being THE guy, and playing all the time, is different than being the backup, obviously.

Right now, it looks like Mrazek's style suits this Wings team better. Other team's game plans vs Detroit boils down to dumping the puck, getting on the grind, shooting from the point, and getting deflections and dirty goals. Mrazek's puck-handling and quickness in tight make that game plan hard to execute.

But being THE guy, and playing all the time, is different than being the backup, obviously.

He's got everything to be the star elite goalie I dont think we ever had ... We had hasek(who's happens to be my fav all time goalie)but he was in the end of his career

Now if it was up to me if let's say mrazek goes on a tear to end the season and he backstops us till say game 7 2nd round or eastern conference finals type playoffs I'm willing to get a veteran backup goalie who can play half the games if need be and strongly consider trading howard in a blockbuster deal and getting some pieces back that will help us contend for the cup next few years with hank and pav still here

I know it won't happen but I'd be more than willing to trade howard if mrazek goes nuts the rest of the way

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

It's unbelievable that people would prefer an unproven goalie for the playoffs (if the team is making it)

If mrazek goes 9-1 now and howard comes in and goes 2-3 ... Youd start howard?

Guess I just view mrazek as being a future star ... Not saying he's accomplished anything in the nhl but when's the last time a 22-23 yr old goalie been as good as mrazek has been?

And I didn't notice the brackets comment till I saw zombo's comment lol ...you trying to jinx us? Unless we totally collapse and 8-10 seeded teams win every game were getting in

Guess I just view mrazek as being a future star ... Not saying he's accomplished anything in the nhl but when's the last time a 22-23 yr old goalie been as good as mrazek has been?

...you trying to jinx us? Unless we totally collapse and 8-10 seeded teams win every game were getting in

James Reimer at 22 comes to my mind.

Are they in yet? Nope sure it looks the team will make but do fast they haven't as haven't a lot of other teams.

Because that's what happened?? I didn't say everybody does, but surely there are some that do that. well they don't hate him, but...I'm not going to go through a bunch of old GDTs to find all the "poor rebound control" "he's just not ready, back to the AHL" comments about Mrazek that wouldn't get made about a 6 year veteran

They don't get made about a six-year veteran because there's not as much at stake for him. You know what you're getting out of Jimmy - Mrazek's still progressing. I think you're mixing up hatred with people wanting Mrazek to be the best possible version of himself. That said, I do think he's more than ready for back-up duty. Monster simply can't stay healthy - I want as much depth as possible on this team, but Gustavsson isn't providing that anymore.

If Petr is going to push Howard in the post-season, then power to him. A lot of what was discussed in those Howard vs. Mrazek posts was about Howie being traded, because some people think Mrazek needs to be the starter right now. I doubt you'll find many people around here saying Mrazek isn't ready to work behind Howie in the NHL.

I didn't mean to say they hate Mraz, that was Barabbas. And then when I realized that how I responded made it sound like thats what I was saying I changed it cuz I don't think people hate Petr, they're just infatuated with Howie.

Had Howie still been struggling like he did last season (and kinda is now), I would have been on board with getting rid of him yesterday. He's gotta pick it up though. Honestly, How many more 1st and 2nd round exits are we going to have to suffer through with him before a change is made?

I think the team plays more relaxed in front of Mrazek because of how he handles the puck. He handles it with more confidence than Jimmy. He is also at times more confident and poised in the net. It is also true that sometimes Mrazek will really get a bit lost coming out too far and over-challenging. But, on balance, my opinion is that Jimmy has not played great since coming back from the groin tear (which by the way was caused by one of his horrific mishandles behind the net...resulting in him scrambling awkwardly back to the net). I think overall we played some of our best hockey when Mrazek was starting...perhaps his puck handling gets the offense rolling from the defensive end. I would let Jimmy sit and gather himself for an extended period of time...and go with Mrazek. This team needs a shake up and this would do it. Let Jimmy back up for awhile.

I also would get Marchenko back in there once he is healed and perhaps sit Ericsson for awhile...he makes way too many mistakes and needs a bit of a break.

Weiss should sit as well...he is inconsequential on a team that needs difference makers.

I think players go thru funks and when they are in a funk, just sit them. Rest them for awhile. Don't grind the same guys out there who are having problems.

somestimes that helps but not for extended places because of messing with confidence face it jimmy is our guy and we cant have a goalie who isn't sure of himself running into the playoffs

I didn't mean to say they hate Mraz, that was Barabbas. And then when I realized that how I responded made it sound like thats what I was saying I changed it cuz I don't think people hate Petr, they're just infatuated with Howie.

Had Howie still been struggling like he did last season (and kinda is now), I would have been on board with getting rid of him yesterday. He's gotta pick it up though. Honestly, How many more 1st and 2nd round exits are we going to have to suffer through with him before a change is made?

This is where you completely lose me. Why would you move your starting goaltender because you think your 23-year-old back-up goalie, with 33 games of NHL experience might be ready to start? I can understand thinking Mrazek deserves to start more often, but why in the world would you move Howard now? That's just not smart asset management, in my opinion. Mrazek struggles and who do they turn to? Tom McCollum?

This is where you completely lose me. Why would you move your starting goaltender because you think your 23-year-old back-up goalie, with 33 games of NHL experience might be ready to start? I can understand thinking Mrazek deserves to start more often, but why in the world would you move Howard now? That's just not smart asset management, in my opinion. Mrazek struggles and who do they turn to? Tom McCollum?

I Put all my eggs in the Jake Patterson basket.

Maybe, whoever that goalie is we drafted with our thirty big centers.

I Put all my eggs in the Jake Patterson basket.

Maybe, whoever that goalie is we drafted with our thirty big centers.

Paterson's not ready ...gonna get 2-4 yrs now with Grand Rapids at least ... as I suggested if we gave mrazek the starting job I'd get a capable backup goalie who can play 20-40 games if need be

I quickly thought nicklas backstrom from the wild but I didn't know he was already 37 so pass (damn time flies) didn't check other teams goalie situation but someone like that

And the main reason I said I'd consider trading howard if mrazek dominated the rest of the way and got us pretty far in the playoffs is I still consider howard a nhl number 1 goalie and he could fetch us a nice return to help us win a cup next few seasons with hank and pav still here

And we get keep our best assets/prospects while doing it and still having a good goalie

99% sure though were gonna go into next season with howard and mrazek as the 2 goalies

Paterson's not ready ...gonna get 2-4 yrs now with Grand Rapids at least ... as I suggested if we gave mrazek the starting job I'd get a capable backup goalie who can play 20-40 games if need be

I quickly thought nicklas backstrom from the wild but I didn't know he was already 37 so pass (damn time flies) didn't check other teams goalie situation but someone like that

And the main reason I said I'd consider trading howard if mrazek dominated the rest of the way and got us pretty far in the playoffs is I still consider howard a nhl number 1 goalie and he could fetch us a nice return to help us win a cup next few seasons with hank and pav still here

And we get keep our best assets/prospects while doing it and still having a good goalie

99% sure though were gonna go into next season with howard and mrazek as the 2 goalies

I was joking.

My next post said to make McCollum our number one now.

I know he's not ready.

Babcock is in a tough spot here. Mrazek has played well enough to at least plan the seed that he might be the better goalie to ride at the moment. But even in light of Howards struggles I don't think you sit him yet. Mrazek needs more starts and if he can outplay Howard then I say ride him as far as he takes us.

Ok 'yesterday' was overkill, I'm just saying I would have speed this process along more quickly, with Petr splitting time this season and not next season. (I still think they should be doing that now regardless)

I get the whole 'over-ripe' thing has worked out well for us. But I don't see the need to keep people in the minors until their very last eligible game. Petr has done all that he can in the AHL. One argument against him, which you pointed out, is his lack of NHL experience. If Mraz is going to take over, he could be getting NHL/playoff race experience. He won't get any more if he doesn't play. Getting experience now means he will be 'ready' that much sooner.

In 24 less games, Petr (sporting a solid 14-6 W-L) has only 6 less wins than Howie (sporting an average 20-20 W-L, can't get any more average than that!) I just don't get why people would prefer the latter. It doesn't make sense.