• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

3/24 GDT : Coyotes 5 at Red Wings 4 (OT)

Rate this topic

Aaaaaaand the Wings got another day off today. They seriously take more days off than any team in the NHL it seems like. If I just lost an absolute stinker to a bottom dweller, I'm pretty sure I'd find something for the guys to do the next day.

Collective therapy perhaps?

"There's always concern, but when I look at our last little bit of games here I like how hard we played," coach Mike Babcock said...We came out, we were organized, we came after them, Babcock said. They scored. We didn't score as (much). I thought (Coyotes goalie Mike) Smith made some real good saves for them."

Genius.

Edited by kipwinger

Aaaaaaand the Wings got another day off today. They seriously take more days off than any team in the NHL it seems like. If I just lost an absolute stinker to a bottom dweller, I'm pretty sure I'd find something for the guys to do the next day.

Collective therapy perhaps?

3 games in 4 days coming up. Seems reasonable given that we're also starting to get a little more beat up.

3 games in 4 days coming up. Seems reasonable given that we're also starting to get a little more beat up.

Yeah wouldn't want them too worn out to keep up their current level of play. That could be detrimental lol.

But in all seriousness, good point. I hadn't even looked at the upcoming schedule and was talking as much about all the days off the last two weeks as I was about the current one.

Yeah wouldn't want them too worn out to keep up their current level of play. That could be detrimental lol.

But in all seriousness, good point. I hadn't even looked at the upcoming schedule and was talking as much about all the days off the last two weeks as I was about the current one.

What I'm wondering is whether we're not so much in a slump right now so much as we're not overachieving anymore. Our defense is lousy lately? Well, look at our defense; is it really so surprising? I've been thrilled with how this year's gone and still think this is a very promising team, but I've thought all year that we might be operating in a "best case scenario" mode. Perhaps the reality of what it takes to be a top team is starting to weigh a little heavier on a young team. Maybe they're just more beat up than we know, which would also explain why Babcock's given more days off.

In any event, something's gotta give if we're going to have post-season success. If we flounder, I'll hardly call this season a failure, but I'm definitely starting to lower my expectations.

I'm completely perplexed by all of this right now. Sure our goalie isn't playing great. Sure our defense isn't spectacular. I completely get that. But is our defense any worse than Pittsburgh, or Ottawa, or Vancouver, or Minnesota? Is our goalie worse than Winnipeg or Calgary? I mean, what confuses me is why we're falling off a cliff right now. If we were just a mediocre team, I'd get it. But mediocre teams are playing more consistently than we are. We've got the same weaknesses as every other mediocre team, but they're staying the same or trending up, and we are in a tailspin at a time in the season when you want to be heating up. We added a 20 goal scorer, a 30+ point defenseman, and they're both playing great...yet somehow we're worse off for it. How does that happen?

It's a young team, who were comfortably in a playoff spot. They took the foot off of the gas during a time when other teams battling for the playoffs/playoff positioning are stepping up their game for the home stretch of the season. That combined with a few key injuries has led to an absolutely slump.

I'm confident they'll get things going good again some playoff time (hopefully before the season ends). Last year they s*** the bed and had nothing left when the playoffs started. Hopefully this slump just means they are getting it out of the way. My only concern is how inconsistent Howard has been. He doesn't have much time to get back into form. Will be very bad if he can't find it all while Mrazek is sitting on the bench every game.

It's a young team, who were comfortably in a playoff spot. They took the foot off of the gas during a time when other teams battling for the playoffs/playoff positioning are stepping up their game for the home stretch of the season. That combined with a few key injuries has led to an absolutely slump.

I'm confident they'll get things going good again some playoff time (hopefully before the season ends). Last year they s*** the bed and had nothing left when the playoffs started. Hopefully this slump just means they are getting it out of the way. My only concern is how inconsistent Howard has been. He doesn't have much time to get back into form. Will be very bad if he can't find it all while Mrazek is sitting on the bench every game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't they done this leading into the playoffs the last few years? Not saying I like it, but if my memory is correct it's becoming a theme. Resting before the playoffs? Getting cocky/lazy?

What I'm wondering is whether we're not so much in a slump right now so much as we're not overachieving anymore. Our defense is lousy lately? Well, look at our defense; is it really so surprising? I've been thrilled with how this year's gone and still think this is a very promising team, but I've thought all year that we might be operating in a "best case scenario" mode. Perhaps the reality of what it takes to be a top team is starting to weigh a little heavier on a young team. Maybe they're just more beat up than we know, which would also explain why Babcock's given more days off.

In any event, something's gotta give if we're going to have post-season success. If we flounder, I'll hardly call this season a failure, but I'm definitely starting to lower my expectations.

Also with the playoffs around the corner the intensity, physicality is only going to go up and other teams are putting in more effort so it's harder to win games now. The truth is, the defense just isn't that good and fixes are needed. Maybe the team was overachieving, maybe not but they really need to get going and work even harder soon otherwise - if the team even makes it - this could turn into another very short post-season.

This is a very streaky Wings edition.

Edited by frankgrimes

We'll get into the playoffs but it will be a 5 maybe 6 game series at best. With the addition of a top 2 D and hopefully a top 6 power forward next year will be better. I honestly believe that Babs has got this roster playing above its potential and should he stay it will only get better with the youngsters we have coming up. AA is more likely to be here next year than Mantha but I'm really stoked for what this side will look like in 2 years.

Just read number9's posts for guidance. ;)

Simon Sin and number9 are the opposite end of the spectrum trollmeisters! Lol One wants the red wings to lose so bad so he can look like nostradamus and the other texts Franzen all the time and swears that Jimmy alone will get the city of Detroit out of bankruptcy. Oh Yea...please beat San Jose tonight!

Simon Sin and number9 are the opposite end of the spectrum trollmeisters! Lol One wants the red wings to lose so bad so he can look like nostradamus and the other texts Franzen all the time and swears that Jimmy alone will get the city of Detroit out of bankruptcy. Oh Yea...please beat San Jose tonight!

I'm not the hero you want. I'm the hero you deserve.