• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings_Dynasty

Opinion: Petr Mrazek should be starting Game 1

Rate this topic

Don't care if the game against SJ isn't over yet. 3 goals on 9 shots. The first goal he went down too soon and that is no one's fault but his.

Don't care who says "but they weren't his fault" because he gave up a point against PHX in OT and it has been a consistent trend since he got back from injury.

His stats are horrible. His puck handling is horrible. He can't control rebounds. He can't stop breakaways. Why is he the #1? Because of loyalty and seniority. That's it. That's all it CAN be.

Petr Mrazek is an NHL goalie. He has superior stats. He is a VAST upgrade in puck handling and speed. He is aggressive and plays pretty well positionally. And he has just as many Cups as Howard has as a starter. So what's the upside in keeping him out?

Howard will still start in the playoffs unless Mrazek goes on an absolute tear to finish the season, but that's just not going to happen unless the team in front of him turns things around fast. I just don't really expect that to happen the way things are going. But I think the stage is clearly being set for Mrazek to have a chance to win the starting role next year.

Who gives a sh*t who's in net. One of the worst and sorriest defenses in the league. This is more than just a slump. This team WAY overachieved and they're now back down to earth. But it is what it is. Going to have to start a complete rebuild soon. Wings need like 4-5 years of missing the playoffs.

Who gives a sh*t who's in net. One of the worst and sorriest defenses in the league. This is more than just a slump. This team WAY overachieved and they're now back down to earth. But it is what it is. Going to have to start a complete rebuild soon. Wings need like 4-5 years of missing the playoffs.

Teed up for number9...

4-5? What have you been smoking on? We need at least 10-15.

But then hockey will be SUPER boring to watch. Maybe we'll have to find a way to enjoy it like the Sabres have this year.

Howard will still start in the playoffs unless Mrazek goes on an absolute tear to finish the season, but that's just not going to happen unless the team in front of him turns things around fast. I just don't really expect that to happen the way things are going. But I think the stage is clearly being set for Mrazek to have a chance to win the starting role next year.

If Mrazek gets us into the playoffs, there's no way Howard will start. Even Babcock isn't that stupid. You don't punish a young goalie who carries you into the playoffs by benching him once the playoffs begin. Bad for morale.

This could be the last (hopefully) that we've seen of Howard as the number one goalie.

If Mrazek gets us into the playoffs, there's no way Howard will start. Even Babcock isn't that stupid. You don't punish a young goalie who carries you into the playoffs by benching him once the playoffs begin. Bad for morale.

This could be the last (hopefully) that we've seen of Howard as the number one goalie.

I would love to summer slam you right now (is that a thing?)

He punished Kindl for scoring a goal and making a beautiful breakaway pass on Abdlekader's goal last game but doesn't punish Ericsson for being useless. He punishes Weiss for turning the puck over vs Boston but refuses to punish Nyquist, who turned the puck over at least six time tonight. I say he has the potential to be "that stupid". Edited by rick zombo

Anyone saying that either Howard or Mrazek should be the unequivocal starter is wrong. At this point, I really think the best approach is to rotate only after losses. When the playoffs start we could either maintain this kind of rotation or, if one plays markedly better than the other over the next nine games, then he should start. With the way our tandem has been playing, we really have nothing to lose.

"When you are playing from behind every shift is an emergency and that causes turnovers…we have to keep the puck out of our net. Petr will get a chance now." -Babcock

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but what about when turnovers lead to playing from behind? I don't think anyone's going to argue that Howard's been inconsistent and oftentimes lousy since returning from injury, but this team hasn't been helping their goalies at all lately. I think it's fair to call out Howard at this point, but you've got to be calling out Nyquist and Ericsson too, and you've certainly got to call out your team defense. Howard hasn't been great, but no one on this team has been much better lately.

Just watched Babcoks post-game.

He's clearly blaming tonight's loss on goaltending. Both goalies. But seemingly more so Howard. I've actually never heard him throw a goalie under the bus like he did. His comments were tactful, but it's obvious what he was trying to say.